The streets of Juba, South Sudan, are named after Queensland State of Origin legends

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
Has anyone seen this story? This has to be the weirdest victory over NSW ever - we're the first state to get streets in South Sudan named after our State of Origin legends!

The streets of Juba, South Sudan, are named after Queensland State of Origin legends and nobody knows why | News.com.au

THE streets of the world's newest capital city are named after Queensland State of Origin greats and nobody seems to know why.

Juba, the capital of South Sudan, has a grid of streets named after various Maroons greats, including Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Paul Vautin, Darren Lockyer and Gene Miles.

Images on Google Earth show the streets, with the names. There's also a Queenslander Drive, Australia Street, and Koala Drive.

The oddity was discovered by David McQuinn, from Adelaide, who told The Australian: "I've avoided Facebook, Twitter and SMS but have become addicted to Google Earth.

"As my travel budget is limited, health not what it used to be and many places would be rather risky to visit, I zoom in to locations currently in the news ... South Sudan and Juba are in the news and look like featuring more regularly now with armed mobs on the loose. So I thought I should familiarise myself with the area.

"I looked for the UN base and airport where fighting was reported and up popped the league player streets.''

Maroons legend and former Broncos captain Miles has an explanation for the street names.

“Maybe it’s just an Australian ex-pat who is a town planner there,” Miles, the chief executive of Queensland Former Origin Greats organisation, said.

“I’m not sure I want to rush over there and drive down the streets, though”.

Re: The streets of Juba, South Sudan, are named after Queensland State of Origin lege

Very nice but I doubt any of the locals would actually know who they are. When I went to India in 2009 I meet kids that were named after Australian cricketers.

Re: The streets of Juba, South Sudan, are named after Queensland State of Origin lege

Very nice but I doubt any of the locals would actually know who they are. When I went to India in 2009 I meet kids that were named after Australian cricketers.

Cricket is huge in India ......I'm sure those kids knew who the Australian cricketers were that they were named after.

QLD is naturally identifiable with the down trodden, those who have risen up to defeat their corrupt oppressors.

We are the peoples heros....

slayers of tyrants.

Active Now

• Justwin
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • RolledOates
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.