NEWS The Third Coming of Wayne Bennett

New CEO Duncan Donuts isn't ruling out the third coming of Wayne Bennett possibly as coaching director or culture boss. And the players are right behind him. Not only that but the Voice of Brisbane claims it can name more than 10 players who've told their managers they'd switch to Brisbane‘s second team if Bennett is coach. For now, it's keeping those names a big secret, but let's hear what these Broncos have to say:

Corey Oates

“If Wayne was to come back it’d be awesome. Everyone would think the same thing. Wayne’s name speaks for itself. I know it was tough when he left in 2018, but that’s not on us, it was with everyone upstairs. Personally, as a player, I get along well with him. I really enjoyed having him here and everything I learned from him.

“It’s just his experience, knowledge and history he has with the club. That’s what the Broncos have been missing. With ‘Kevvie’ the passion has come back. They’d be a great combination together.”

Screenwayne bennett

Still has it

Matt Lodge:

“He is still one of the best mentors in the game. He made me feel like I would run through a brick wall for him so he clearly does something right. I don’t know it would work with two people running the show, but I’ve always respected Wayne and he did a lot for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what he did for me letting me come back to the game at the Broncos. I definitely felt the love when he was here, he stuck up for me a lot, whether that was media criticism or the off-field stuff I was going through."

“We definitely have that connection where I played for him and played hard for him. He would be a great person for some of the young guys we have here. I don’t know who runs the show or does what, but if Wayne came back to help Walters, I guess the Broncos have to put that business plan together.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr :

“I’m really close to Wayne. We still keep in contact, he has always been a great mentor for me. Kevvie is doing a great job here and he reminds me a lot of Wayne in the way he treats people. Kevvie is getting the best out of me. Even though some results haven‘t gone our way, he is holding me accountable.”

Payne Haas:

“Wayne brought me to the Broncos and he has been a massive influence on my career. My dad actually wanted me to go to Melbourne, I was about to sign on the dotted line, but I got a call from Wayne at the last minute and he brought me to the Broncos and I haven’t looked back since. If he came back, it would be pretty cool, I know several of the boys would love to have Wayne back around, but we‘ll see what happens.”

Tom Flegler:

“His resume speaks for itself. I haven’t heard a single thing about Bennett returning, I find out most things through the media (such as the articles penned by award winning senior sports writer Peter Badel), but it would be great to have him back. Look at what he has done. He is a great coach and I’d love to play under him.”

McHunt

absolutely it was ... it was time for him to move on. we were heading in the wrong direction. it took a battle hardened team put together by other coaches to get him back to the GF
Riiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttttt🙄

Other coaches!!! Fucking amazing how rubbery your thinking process(non thinking) is. The contortions you go through to avoid what most of us accept on the evidence.

Riiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttttt🙄

Other coaches!!! Fucking amazing how rubbery your thinking process(non thinking) is. The contortions you go through to avoid what most of us accept on the evidence.
I think it’s worth noting that one of these “other coaches” was Seibold lol. What a bad point.

I think it’s worth noting that one of these “other coaches” was Seibold lol. What a bad point.

Is it wrong though? Serious question because I’m not sure.

What I see is that South’s went to the prelim with Seibold and Bennett has taken them the next step but that also seems to have coincided with a comp of three teams only being good enough to win the comp this year, Roosters being killed by injuries.

The standard of the entire comp has gone backwards and Wayne has kept his team relevant so kudos to him for that. He’s done some wonderful things with guys like Nicholls. Other than possibly overpaying Mitchell (who is still a loose cannon) and Arrow, what else has he done to change what was already a gun team?

Pretty sure it has everything to do with Reynolds getting old and there is no guarantee he doesn't decline super fast. They're taking the Rooster's one-year-early tactic as opposed to the Broncos' two-years-too-many.
This is what has me concerned. To be positive there is a trend of playing longer at a high level for those who train well and don't rely on their speed or physicality, Tom Brady, Cameron Smith style.

The Broncos have been recruiting from a position of desperation so this is the risk they take. Would be great to be able to sign a top level spine player for 650k like Melbourne are able to... oh well.

absolutely it was ... it was time for him to move on. we were heading in the wrong direction. it took a battle hardened team put together by other coaches to get him back to the GF

I dont think it was time for Wayne to move on as such, but it was time for us to transition away from him as our head coach. We did it the wrong way. Still feel how he proposed his departure would have been the best for all parties.

Mate, you would have to acknowledge that him keeping that side up there after losing Inglis, Burgi x 2 and Sutton has been great coaching. Then to actually lift them to the GF this year, especially after losing Latrell has been a level above that.

Take it as read, the club made the wrong move. Remember the changes he made after 2005 to the coaching staff to freshen things up that resulted in a premiership. The little tweaks he made to the list in 2015 that got us to another GF. Who is to say that he would not have made roster or staffing changes after 2018 to change the course we were apparently on. He is too smart a coach to not have tried something.

Mate, you would have to acknowledge that him keeping that side up there after losing Inglis, Burgi x 2 and Sutton has been great coaching. Then to actually lift them to the GF this year, especially after losing Latrell has been a level above that.

Take it as read, the club made the wrong move. Remember the changes he made after 2005 to the coaching staff to freshen things up that resulted in a premiership. The little tweaks he made to the list in 2015 that got us to another GF. Who is to say that he would not have made roster or staffing changes after 2018 to change the course we were apparently on. He is too smart a coach to not have tried something.

Should have had his last year, surely no one disputes that at this point. He's now gone one better than Seibold so that's done and dusted.

I'm cheering Souths tomorrow, supporting Adam and Wayne.

Mate don't bother, don't know what Bennett done to this poster but its a lost cause convincing this person otherwise.

That's just it though, his fucking time WASN'T up.
To me it would be like some twat coach tapping Lockyer on the shoulder at 28! Karl Morris was very definitely not right as WB has conclusively proved since the split I'm with WB on this. He and he alone decides when he's finished coaching, not some numptie neverwasbeen.
I get your Lockyer point, but it’s also not truly accurate.

Lockyer retired (which was definitely at least a season early) at 34, which was 6 years post 28 as you’ve suggested. 34 is 121.4% of 28.

Bennett was 68 when the Broncos shafted him. 121.4% of 68 is 82. Had Lockyer retired at 36 (which he could have easily done IMO), the comparable Bennett age would be 87.

I really don’t think Bennett will be the head coach of an NRL team at 82, let alone 87.

So if I had to guess, I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume Bennett will likely retire by 75. Which is 110.3% of 68.

Back to Lockyer; applying the 110.3%, he’d be almost 31. Still too young given how he was going, but not as ridiculous to suggest as 28.

What’s the point? 31 is far less powerful in the context of your hyperbole.

Now normally I wouldn’t give a shit. But I’m bored and because you are incredibly literal with pretty much everything and everyone, I made the exception.

You’re welcome and good night 😉

Lockyer retired (which was definitely at least a season early) at 34, which was 6 years post 28 as you’ve suggested. 34 is 121.4% of 28.

Bennett was 68 when the Broncos shafted him. 121.4% of 68 is 82. Had Lockyer retired at 36 (which he could have easily done IMO), the comparable Bennett age would be 87.

I really don’t think Bennett will be the head coach of an NRL team at 82, let alone 87.

So if I had to guess, I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume Bennett will likely retire by 75. Which is 110.3% of 68.

Back to Lockyer; applying the 110.3%, he’d be almost 31.
Confused Thinking GIF by JK

I get your Lockyer point, but it’s also not truly accurate.

Back to Lockyer; applying the 110.3%, he’d be almost 31. Still too young given how he was going, but not as ridiculous to suggest as 28.

What’s the point? 31 is far less powerful in the context of your hyperbole.

Now normally I wouldn’t give a shit. But I’m bored and because you are incredibly literal with pretty much everything and everyone, I made the exception.

You’re welcome and good night 😉
You are spot on. I say that without bothering to check your mathematical skills which I'd bet are pretty sharp. In the spirit of your post you might think about your penchant for starting sentences with conjunctions. It's not strictly against the rules as such but it does look clumsy.

Like your sentence which starts with 'but'. It really isn't necessary is it?
You should, consider a couple of things before going this route. Would the sentence function just as well without the conjunction opening? If so, don’t use it. Also, should the sentence simply be connected to the previous one? If the two ideas work better as a compound sentence, combine them. If an initial conjunction doesn’t really do anything to help you get across the point you’re trying to make, it’s best to bid it adieu.

To return the favour I say many thanks and good morning !😉

You are spot on. I say that without bothering to check your mathematical skills which I'd bet are pretty sharp. In the spirit of your post you might think about your penchant for starting sentences with conjunctions. It's not strictly against the rules as such but it does look clumsy.

Like your sentence which starts with 'but'. It really isn't necessary is it?
You should, consider a couple of things before going this route. Would the sentence function just as well without the conjunction opening? If so, don’t use it. Also, should the sentence simply be connected to the previous one? If the two ideas work better as a compound sentence, combine them. If an initial conjunction doesn’t really do anything to help you get across the point you’re trying to make, it’s best to bid it adieu.

To return the favour I say many thanks and good morning !😉
You’re getting soft in your old age.

Never read this before. How the 2015 loss affected Bennett...

“I really struggled after that loss,” he says.

“For three or four days, I was in a bad place.

“I didn’t want to face the world. I didn’t want to leave the house. I couldn’t bring myself to go outside.

“I felt I had let everybody down.

“I found it really hard to move on from that game because we had such a good team, we played so well that night … and we had that premiership won.”

“It was our game,” Bennett continues.

“With two minutes to go, we were on the Cowboys’ 20-metre line and we gave a penalty away, then we couldn’t defend that set of six (tackles).

“We had to make just one more f***ing tackle.

“Forget about what happened in extra-time. We made ourselves vulnerable. We didn’t have to be there. We did enough on the night. We were in front.

“That was a huge disappointment for me. The premiership slipped through our fingers.

“It was very hard to accept. Bob Bax was a great coach and a great friend of mine and he once said, ‘Wayne, grand finals are never won, they are always lost’ and we lost that one in a big way.

You're dead to us Wayne. This is the final straw:

" To me Cody Walker epitomises South Sydney: Indigenous, the flair, he loves the game – he’d play for nothing that bloke. I know I coached the King, Wally Lewis, but if I had to pick the best five-eighth I’ve ever coached I’d find it very hard not to pick Cody Walker."

McHunt

Never read this before. How the 2015 loss affected Bennett...

“I really struggled after that loss,” he says.

“For three or four days, I was in a bad place.

“I didn’t want to face the world. I didn’t want to leave the house. I couldn’t bring myself to go outside.

“I felt I had let everybody down.

“I found it really hard to move on from that game because we had such a good team, we played so well that night … and we had that premiership won.”

“It was our game,” Bennett continues.

“With two minutes to go, we were on the Cowboys’ 20-metre line and we gave a penalty away, then we couldn’t defend that set of six (tackles).

“Forget about what happened in extra-time. We made ourselves vulnerable. We didn’t have to be there. We did enough on the night. We were in front.

“That was a huge disappointment for me. The premiership slipped through our fingers.

“It was very hard to accept. Bob Bax was a great coach and a great friend of mine and he once said, ‘Wayne, grand finals are never won, they are always lost’ and we lost that one in a big way.

😭😭😭

You're dead to us Wayne. This is the final straw:

" To me Cody Walker epitomises South Sydney: Indigenous, the flair, he loves the game – he’d play for nothing that bloke. I know I coached the King, Wally Lewis, but if I had to pick the best five-eighth I’ve ever coached I’d find it very hard not to pick Cody Walker."

McHunt
Locky says hi Wayne.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • The Don
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manlyman
  • cento
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • RolledOates
  • Hurrijo
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brocko
  • broncs30
  • Santa
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.