NEWS The Third Coming of Wayne Bennett

New CEO Duncan Donuts isn't ruling out the third coming of Wayne Bennett possibly as coaching director or culture boss. And the players are right behind him. Not only that but the Voice of Brisbane claims it can name more than 10 players who've told their managers they'd switch to Brisbane‘s second team if Bennett is coach. For now, it's keeping those names a big secret, but let's hear what these Broncos have to say:

Corey Oates

“If Wayne was to come back it’d be awesome. Everyone would think the same thing. Wayne’s name speaks for itself. I know it was tough when he left in 2018, but that’s not on us, it was with everyone upstairs. Personally, as a player, I get along well with him. I really enjoyed having him here and everything I learned from him.

“It’s just his experience, knowledge and history he has with the club. That’s what the Broncos have been missing. With ‘Kevvie’ the passion has come back. They’d be a great combination together.”

Screenwayne bennett

Still has it

Matt Lodge:

“He is still one of the best mentors in the game. He made me feel like I would run through a brick wall for him so he clearly does something right. I don’t know it would work with two people running the show, but I’ve always respected Wayne and he did a lot for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what he did for me letting me come back to the game at the Broncos. I definitely felt the love when he was here, he stuck up for me a lot, whether that was media criticism or the off-field stuff I was going through."

“We definitely have that connection where I played for him and played hard for him. He would be a great person for some of the young guys we have here. I don’t know who runs the show or does what, but if Wayne came back to help Walters, I guess the Broncos have to put that business plan together.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr :

“I’m really close to Wayne. We still keep in contact, he has always been a great mentor for me. Kevvie is doing a great job here and he reminds me a lot of Wayne in the way he treats people. Kevvie is getting the best out of me. Even though some results haven‘t gone our way, he is holding me accountable.”

Payne Haas:

“Wayne brought me to the Broncos and he has been a massive influence on my career. My dad actually wanted me to go to Melbourne, I was about to sign on the dotted line, but I got a call from Wayne at the last minute and he brought me to the Broncos and I haven’t looked back since. If he came back, it would be pretty cool, I know several of the boys would love to have Wayne back around, but we‘ll see what happens.”

Tom Flegler:

“His resume speaks for itself. I haven’t heard a single thing about Bennett returning, I find out most things through the media (such as the articles penned by award winning senior sports writer Peter Badel), but it would be great to have him back. Look at what he has done. He is a great coach and I’d love to play under him.”

McHunt

If Morris has to leave to get him back, we can’t find the boot to kick him through the door fast enough. In fact we can kick once he’s on the ground after kicking him through the door. Then we can throw the door at him after kicking him through it and on the ground after it. Totally useless big headed hack can go back to obscurity.

We cannot lose Bennett to Brisbane 2, and he would be perfect in Nolan’s role, perfect. Plus we get rid of Nolan and Morris, perfect.

If Morris has to leave to get him back, we can’t find the boot to kick him through the door fast enough. In fact we can kick once he’s on the ground after kicking him through the door. Then we can throw the door at him after kicking him through it and on the ground after it. Totally useless big headed hack can go back to obscurity.

We cannot lose Bennett to Brisbane 2, and he would be perfect in Nolan’s role, perfect. Plus we get rid of Nolan and Morris, perfect.
I wish I could like this more then once.

Him replacing Nolan would be the dream. I don't know the ins and outs but it's a much cruisier job than being a full time NRL coach and he's surely keen to wind down a bit.

We need that star power in our back office and him doing some of the PR would take a load off Kev with the media BS too.

Make it happen DD.

I think Bennett going to the new Brisbane club all but sinks the broncos. We are desperately struggling to attract players and doing even worse at retaining. Bad enough that another team with a fresh start cap wise, and 30+ positions to fill will be competing for signatures at around the precise time we would be looking for marque signings, players having another option just up the road coached by the most respected coach in the games history - that will all but relegate us to a West Tigers like roster of left overs and unwanteds.

I think Kev is doing a good job so the argument isn’t even necessarily if we need Wayne or not; it’s that we need Brisbane 2 to not have Wayne.

The only way we can bring him in, is if he isn't allowed to leave to the new franchise. The worst result would be bringing Wayne in for 2022 as a coaching director type role, and then him leaving to head coach another Brisbane club.

I'm all for it, but it needs to be on a several year deal, which won't happen as he has stated he wants to keep coaching.

Well we either have him on board, or he goes to Brisbane 2.0. I know what i would chose if i was CEO.

Hopefully our new CEO will make such an obvious decision. My fear as that current chairman is the only idiot who would want to block such a decision.

If the club is going to do something about Wayne they had better get moving as the clock is ticking.
As soon as the winner of the new license is announced one of the first things they will do is appoint a coach to help with setting up and getting a roster together.
If wayne is still available then it is long odds on he will get the gig.
Should that happen it's also long odds on we will lose some players who will follow him to the new franchise.
The potential problem is whether the club could sell him any sort of non-coaching role as I think he is really only interested in hands on coaching which means to get him they would have to let kevvie go at the end of next year. This would be a poor look unless we were to get another spoon.
I am buggered if I know what the answer is and given their performance over the last couple of years I doubt the hierarchy at the club have any idea either. 🤔

Morris needs to take one for the team and fall on his sword. He can retire to his $18 million dollar house and jerk off in the refined opulence he's become accustomed to.

I mean paraphrasing Monty Pythons "What good has the bastard ever done for us?"

I don't want to go back to the ex again. Yeah we know she's a good fit, and what we are going to get out of her. There is a reason the ex is the ex and we should be happy to move forward with the current one than go backwards.

If the club is going to do something about Wayne they had better get moving as the clock is ticking.
As soon as the winner of the new license is announced one of the first things they will do is appoint a coach to help with setting up and getting a roster together.
If wayne is still available then it is long odds on he will get the gig.
Should that happen it's also long odds on we will lose some players who will follow him to the new franchise.
The potential problem is whether the club could sell him any sort of non-coaching role as I think he is really only interested in hands on coaching which means to get him they would have to let kevvie go at the end of next year. This would be a poor look unless we were to get another spoon.
I am buggered if I know what the answer is and given their performance over the last couple of years I doubt the hierarchy at the club have any idea either. 🤔
It simply has to happen. I don't think it's a matter of selling him on anything. It's a phone call with a question; what do you want to come back to the Broncos? And whatever he says, we do it.

It has to happen just so we stop him going to Brisbane 2. Give him an honorary title, whatever.

Morris needs to take one for the team and fall on his sword. He can retire to his $18 million dollar house and jerk off in the refined opulence he's become accustomed to.

I mean paraphrasing Monty Pythons "What good has the bastard ever done for us?"

One would think his chairman pay would be pretty handy to pay for said mansion.

I would if he could strictly stick to those responsibilities. Problem is he will try to take over, it’s in his DNA.
Proven by no facts and no history. Riiiiiggggghhhhhttttttt.

Unread

Active Now

• Lurker
  • theshed
  • teampjta
  • mrslong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.