NEWS The Third Coming of Wayne Bennett

New CEO Duncan Donuts isn't ruling out the third coming of Wayne Bennett possibly as coaching director or culture boss. And the players are right behind him. Not only that but the Voice of Brisbane claims it can name more than 10 players who've told their managers they'd switch to Brisbane‘s second team if Bennett is coach. For now, it's keeping those names a big secret, but let's hear what these Broncos have to say:

Corey Oates

“If Wayne was to come back it’d be awesome. Everyone would think the same thing. Wayne’s name speaks for itself. I know it was tough when he left in 2018, but that’s not on us, it was with everyone upstairs. Personally, as a player, I get along well with him. I really enjoyed having him here and everything I learned from him.

“It’s just his experience, knowledge and history he has with the club. That’s what the Broncos have been missing. With ‘Kevvie’ the passion has come back. They’d be a great combination together.”

Screenwayne bennett

Still has it

Matt Lodge:

“He is still one of the best mentors in the game. He made me feel like I would run through a brick wall for him so he clearly does something right. I don’t know it would work with two people running the show, but I’ve always respected Wayne and he did a lot for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what he did for me letting me come back to the game at the Broncos. I definitely felt the love when he was here, he stuck up for me a lot, whether that was media criticism or the off-field stuff I was going through."

“We definitely have that connection where I played for him and played hard for him. He would be a great person for some of the young guys we have here. I don’t know who runs the show or does what, but if Wayne came back to help Walters, I guess the Broncos have to put that business plan together.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr :

“I’m really close to Wayne. We still keep in contact, he has always been a great mentor for me. Kevvie is doing a great job here and he reminds me a lot of Wayne in the way he treats people. Kevvie is getting the best out of me. Even though some results haven‘t gone our way, he is holding me accountable.”

Payne Haas:

“Wayne brought me to the Broncos and he has been a massive influence on my career. My dad actually wanted me to go to Melbourne, I was about to sign on the dotted line, but I got a call from Wayne at the last minute and he brought me to the Broncos and I haven’t looked back since. If he came back, it would be pretty cool, I know several of the boys would love to have Wayne back around, but we‘ll see what happens.”

Tom Flegler:

“His resume speaks for itself. I haven’t heard a single thing about Bennett returning, I find out most things through the media (such as the articles penned by award winning senior sports writer Peter Badel), but it would be great to have him back. Look at what he has done. He is a great coach and I’d love to play under him.”

McHunt

Ageism? Ok. Don’t worry huge I’m only late 30s, I just think I know everything. Pot/kettle much?
Oh, I am well aware I don't know everything. That knowledge comes from experience which coincidentally WB has a lot of. You still haven't explained why all those other terrible judges have faith in WB nor have you provided any accounts of your close relationship with WB.

FFS, read literally any of the books he's written.
I've read them all thanks. Didn't see any sections where he claimed he was answerable/accountable to no one as you claim.

I've read them all thanks. Didn't see any sections where he claimed he was answerable/accountable to no one as you claim.
It was the main point of contention with Paul Morgan and the owners before he agreed to come here from Canberra. He wanted absolute control over the football team. He mentions this literally dozens of times.

If you don't know this then you absolutely have not read the books he's written.

It was the main point of contention with Paul Morgan and the owners before he agreed to come here from Canberra. He wanted absolute control over the football team. He mentions this literally dozens of times.

If you don't know this then you absolutely have not read the books he's written.

Him having complete control over the football team doesn't mean he's not accountable or has no one to answer to. If his department doesn't do what it's meant to do, he gets hauled in like any other head of department across the business world.

Oh, I am well aware I don't know everything. That knowledge comes from experience which coincidentally WB has a lot of. You still haven't explained why all those other terrible judges have faith in WB nor have you provided any accounts of your close relationship with WB.
I’m not going to speak for the terrible Judges, they can do that. I also won’t be providing any of the accounts I have heard, they will just be moderated. In short he has been described to me as a narcissist. You’re just going to have to take my word on this one huge. Do you know the man by any chance? You seem to be taking my valid criticisms extremely personally.

Him having complete control over the football team doesn't mean he's not accountable or has no one to answer to. If his department doesn't do what it's meant to do, he gets hauled in like any other head of department across the business world.
Guess that’s what happened in 2018.

I’m not going to speak for the terrible Judges, they can do that. I also won’t be providing any of the accounts I have heard, they will just be moderated. In short he has been described to me as a narcissist. You’re just going to have to take my word on this one huge. Do you know the man by any chance? You seem to be taking my valid criticisms extremely personally.
We've spoken a couple of times but I wouldn't say I know him. It is weird though, you described your knowledge as first hand so are you now saying it's second hand? Like, a friend told you? Like say, Thaiday told you if your friend was Thaiday?

Have you ever given any thought to the notion that people can be jealous of successful people or that some people choose to hate on others that are everything they are not. Things like respected, rich, successful, revered, honoured, accomplished.

A reasonable person would probably give little thought or weight to derogatory observations without practical and personal experience. When the respect and admiration is almost universal you'd nearly be justified in thinking, everyone cannot be wrong about the man.
I don't think second hand stories is enough. I'd have to be very close and to have observed many interactions before I could be reasonably sure he was a narcissist.

Even that doesn't mean he would not be qualified to lead or anachronistic.

Of course that's true, but now we're getting down to semantics. He was as empowered and in complete control of his role and area of the business as probably any Coach in the modern era and that's the point that was being made.

Of course that's true, but now we're getting down to semantics. He was as empowered and in complete control of his role and area of the business as probably any Coach in the modern era and that's the point that was being made.

The point still doesn't make a great deal of sense to me though. So what? My boss at work also wants to be the boss at work and doesn't want outside influence to get in the way of decision making. What's the issue?

Guess that’s what happened in 2018.
You'll note I was careful not to include his second stint here where things were obviously vastly different. Things at the Broncos were on the ropes for Bennett all the way back to 2005-2006 when they wanted to put him on a formal contract.

He then went on to win us a Premiership and the Dragons a Premiership too. Meanwhile, we got Ivan Henjak, Anthony Griffin, missed the finals for the first time in two decades and then went grovelling back to Wayne in 2014.

The point still doesn't make a great deal of sense to me though. So what? My boss at work also wants to be the boss at work and doesn't want outside influence to get in the way of decision making. What's the issue?
If you're going to employ someone like Bennett then you're agreeing to hand over complete control and let him run his own race and work things out for himself.

To employ him in any other capacity or expect him to be answerable on a regular basis to anyone is a waste of time.

If you're going to employ someone like Bennett then you're agreeing to hand over complete control and let him run his own race and work things out for himself.

To employ him in any other capacity or expect him to be answerable on a regular basis to anyone is a waste of time.
Dafuq!
No one ever argued that WB didn't have autonomy in his area.

We've spoken a couple of times but I wouldn't say I know him. It is weird though, you described your knowledge as first hand so are you now saying it's second hand? Like, a friend told you? Like say, Thaiday told you if your friend was Thaiday?

Have you ever given any thought to the notion that people can be jealous of successful people or that some people choose to hate on others that are everything they are not. Things like respected, rich, successful, revered, honoured, accomplished.

A reasonable person would probably give little thought or weight to derogatory observations without practical and personal experience. When the respect and admiration is almost universal you'd nearly be justified in thinking, everyone cannot be wrong about the man.
I don't think second hand stories is enough. I'd have to be very close and to have observed many onteractions before I could be reasonably sure he was a narcissist.

Even that doesn't mean he would not be qualified to lead or anachronistic.
You’re right, I did say first hand when I meant second, my mistake. Yes, I have been told by people who were at one stage close to him, more than one. I have absolutely no reason to doubt them. Anyway I’m willing to leave this where it is and use this post as my final thoughts on the matter. It would be a very interesting social experiment if nothing else, Wayne coming back in any capacity.
He can stick to them all he wants, just not if he comes back here. His last tenure we went backwards anyway. If we throw him a bone and employ him I’ll accept it, but if he knives our coach in the back so he can take the position or if we re-sign Andrew McCullough and kodi nikorima again I’ll probably support another team until he carks it.

You’re right, I did say first hand when I meant second, my mistake. Yes, I have been told by people who were at one stage close to him, more than one. I have absolutely no reason to doubt them. Anyway I’m willing to leave this where it is and use this post as my final thoughts on the matter. It would be a very interesting social experiment if nothing else, Wayne coming back in any capacity.
Cool, I've made similar mistakes in the past. I get it though, if a few people tell you similar stories it's way easier to see it as plausible. I tend to think a little more deeply , not saying you or others don't. By this I mean I'd consider the time when the stories are alleged to have occurred. I'd think, what else was happening around the time, was(in this case WB) the guy under other pressures, was his marriage breaking up, closest friend dying, his football team losing, financial problems, death threats and hate mail, anything and everything considered.

Sometimes we all have a bad run, it might last a couple days or we can be under enormous strains for extended periods and not be the same good guys we normally are. During that time we might act differently, be self centred, hell appear narcissistic on the outside. It well could be your friends met him or interacted with him at a bad time. None of us are just one thing. We're all complex.

Unread

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.