NEWS The Third Coming of Wayne Bennett

New CEO Duncan Donuts isn't ruling out the third coming of Wayne Bennett possibly as coaching director or culture boss. And the players are right behind him. Not only that but the Voice of Brisbane claims it can name more than 10 players who've told their managers they'd switch to Brisbane‘s second team if Bennett is coach. For now, it's keeping those names a big secret, but let's hear what these Broncos have to say:

Corey Oates

“If Wayne was to come back it’d be awesome. Everyone would think the same thing. Wayne’s name speaks for itself. I know it was tough when he left in 2018, but that’s not on us, it was with everyone upstairs. Personally, as a player, I get along well with him. I really enjoyed having him here and everything I learned from him.

“It’s just his experience, knowledge and history he has with the club. That’s what the Broncos have been missing. With ‘Kevvie’ the passion has come back. They’d be a great combination together.”

Screenwayne bennett

Still has it

Matt Lodge:

“He is still one of the best mentors in the game. He made me feel like I would run through a brick wall for him so he clearly does something right. I don’t know it would work with two people running the show, but I’ve always respected Wayne and he did a lot for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what he did for me letting me come back to the game at the Broncos. I definitely felt the love when he was here, he stuck up for me a lot, whether that was media criticism or the off-field stuff I was going through."

“We definitely have that connection where I played for him and played hard for him. He would be a great person for some of the young guys we have here. I don’t know who runs the show or does what, but if Wayne came back to help Walters, I guess the Broncos have to put that business plan together.”

Tevita Pangai Jnr :

“I’m really close to Wayne. We still keep in contact, he has always been a great mentor for me. Kevvie is doing a great job here and he reminds me a lot of Wayne in the way he treats people. Kevvie is getting the best out of me. Even though some results haven‘t gone our way, he is holding me accountable.”

Payne Haas:

“Wayne brought me to the Broncos and he has been a massive influence on my career. My dad actually wanted me to go to Melbourne, I was about to sign on the dotted line, but I got a call from Wayne at the last minute and he brought me to the Broncos and I haven’t looked back since. If he came back, it would be pretty cool, I know several of the boys would love to have Wayne back around, but we‘ll see what happens.”

Tom Flegler:

“His resume speaks for itself. I haven’t heard a single thing about Bennett returning, I find out most things through the media (such as the articles penned by award winning senior sports writer Peter Badel), but it would be great to have him back. Look at what he has done. He is a great coach and I’d love to play under him.”

McHunt

I think it's very very clever wording.....
It's GF week, he can't put down his 5/8 in fact he wants to pump him up, which he has done.
But he did not say Walker is the best 5/8 he has ever coached, he just finished by saying it would be hard not to pick him.
The unspoken end to that sentence is, but I wouldn't pick him, coz of Wally, Kevvie and Locky :)
Yeah I was just taking the piss on the whole situation. Wayne knows what he’s doing. But history will now show, pumping walker up did work for about 20 minutes. Did it put too much pressure on him to deliver the goods? Maybe. I think walker really missed latrell last night.

I think it's very very clever wording.....
It's GF week, he can't put down his 5/8 in fact he wants to pump him up, which he has done.
But he did not say Walker is the best 5/8 he has ever coached, he just finished by saying it would be hard not to pick him.
The unspoken end to that sentence is, but I wouldn't pick him, coz of Wally, Kevvie and Locky :)
Obviously you’re right, I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise.

But if Walker is as good as the statement intends, is it even necessary? I mean, if Walker needs that final bit of encouragement, is he deserving of being in the conversation of the best 6’s Bennett has ever coached?

I can all but guarantee Lewis, Walters and Lockyer didn’t need to be told they were the best he’d ever coached. Bennett knew how good they were and they knew how good they were. They knew what they needed to do to win and they just went out and did it.

And they didn’t act like grubs doing it.

I should add; none of this should read like I think Walker isn’t a good player, but he’s not in the same class as the greats. Which is also nothing to be sneezed at.

Obviously you’re right, I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise.

But if Walker is as good as the statement intends, is it even necessary? I mean, if Walker needs that final bit of encouragement, is he deserving of being in the conversation of the best 6’s Bennett has ever coached?

I can all but guarantee Lewis, Walters and Lockyer didn’t need to be told they were the best he’d ever coached. Bennett knew how good they were and they knew how good they were. They knew what they needed to do to win and they just went out and did it.

And they didn’t act like grubs doing it.

I should add; none of this should read like I think Walker isn’t a good player, but he’s not in the same class as the greats. Which is also nothing to be sneezed at.
Agree totally. Walker is a clear cut below Lewis, Walters and Lockyer.

And I think that's why Wayne said it. He knew Walker needed the extra to hopefully lift that little bit.

Speculation of course.

Lmao dude do you have a bed at work? I wish the people were named in that article and had some pressure put on them.
Not at the office, though there are bean bags and a love seat in a private relaxation room that has defusers and mood lighting that I could definitely have a nap on if I felt the need. but I do a lot of work from home and there’s a bed there. I’ve definitely utilised it for a nap on occasions and I consistently perform well above my organisation’s set KPIs.

Lmao dude do you have a bed at work? I wish the people were named in that article and had some pressure put on them.

Its not unusual for some workplaces to have areas people can sleep.

Not at the office, though there are bean bags and a love seat in a private relaxation room that has defusers and mood lighting that I could definitely have a nap on if I felt the need. but I do a lot of work from home and there’s a bed there. I’ve definitely utilised it for a nap on occasions and I consistently perform well above my organisation’s set KPIs.
Do you work at a massage house?

It was a pretty shit way to treat WB if that article is true but there aren't clean hands on both sides. Not sure why this needed to come up 3 years later, other than priming WB as the new expansion team coach as part of a revenge tour?

It was a pretty shit way to treat WB if that article is true but there aren't clean hands on both sides. Not sure why this needed to come up 3 years later, other than priming WB as the new expansion team coach as part of a revenge tour?
Because it’s the off season and they need to deflect the fact that south’s lost the grand final and that brisbane continue to be the enemy of everyone

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  • bazza
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • cento
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Ozired
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.