Third Test- Australia v South Africa

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Down 2-0.

Under lights now; and changes to be made.

Shield round starts Thursday with all bats playing- fast bowlers rested.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts, please fill in the blanks with who you would go with:

2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
8. Starc
10. Hazelwood

I'd personally go with:

1. Patterson
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Lehmann
6. Cartwright
7. Handscomb (if he will keep, if not Wade)
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Hazelwood
11. Sayers

I am going to reserve my judgement until Sunday after the round of games so I can get out to the 'Gabba but at this stage I am thinking something like this might be named.

Smith
Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Patterson
Fergurson
Wade
Mennie
Starc
Hazlewood
Jackson
Sayers

Burns I give a second go to; he scored 100 under lights in round 1. He was terrible since for both Queenland and Australia. Of bigger concern is Warner and Burns' form together. They haven't got above three their last six stands together.

But if Bancroft does well this week, he's in over Burns.
Ferguson and Lehmann are in a shoot out too- I am just reluctant to give Ferguson one crack.

Patterson- scored a really good 100 under lights at the 'Gabba. I like the way he fights. Had a big start to his SS caree then had to fight back, got runs last year. He showed he could fight for a draw against WA earlier this year too.

Nevill gets the chop, missed a stumping in Hobart and no runs. Wade isn't a better keeper but at the moment he is better for the side. He will be chirpy and up the temp in the field.

No spinner; Adelaide under lights they will leave grass on there so it doesn't scuff the ball. Go with seam.

Last edited:
Really hope Renshaw makes runs in his return, put some pressure on the selectors.

Him, Patterson & Lehmann should all be in the team if they make some runs this weekend, I'd have Wade in the team for a bit more experience behind the stumps and in the middle order. Bowling is up for debate, if we're going with 4 quicks I'd go with Starc, Hazlewood, Bird & Mennie - If we're going 3 quicks & a spinner I'd drop Mennie and bring in Agar.

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Lehmann
6. Patterson
7. Wade
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Bird
11. Hazlewood

latest

Very hard to fault that side [MENTION=8290]Unbreakable[/MENTION], I like it.

For me, it is a toss up between Bird and Sayers. Bird hasn't really done anything wrong but Sayers is in sensational form. I think we need some variation in the attack. Starc is your gun who can fire up on his day and run through a side. Hazelwood is your seam bowler who can get it to cut both ways and usually keep it tight. So, I think outside of that, a swing bowler is a must and I think out of Bird and Sayers, Sayers is going better at present but that said, Bird does at least have some experience. I'd take both in the squad and so who is performing best.

As for the spinner, it really is nothing against Lyon at all, maybe a break might freshen him up and reignite the fire in him. SOK would be my first choice as he would have been before Lyon was chosen BUT he is getting on and should these days just be kept for sub-continental conditions. Agar has been very impressive of late and may well develop into a Vettori style lower-order all-rounder which this side badly needs given our penchant for collapsing.

Whichever side we pick, it may lose and may continue to lose but this crossroads is vital. We can get these young guys in and show them a bit of faith. Hopefully, come the Ashes in 12 months times, we have more like 8 or 9 places locked down as opposed to the four or five we currently have.

Throwing too many kids to the wolves this early in their careers could damage them entirely for the rest of their careers. I do agree we need some fresh new youth in the team but lets not just start handing out baggy greens like they are going out of fashion.
The bowlers aren't really the problem. The middle order batting is. Smith needs to go to first drop to stabilise the team. Punt Ferguson for a proper all rounder (Marsh, Henriques, Faulkner, someone who can swing the willow half decent and can bowl a bit too). And drop Voges for a youngster (Paterson looks like the safest bet). And replace Nevill with the next best keeper whether it be Handscomb or Wade. And finally, tell our batsmen they have 5 days to win this match not 80 overs. Patience is the key. If they make 25 runs off 130 balls I can live with that. It showed that they valued their wicket enough not to sell it cheap.

Possible Test squad for Adelaide: Steven Smith (capt), David Warner, Joe Burns, Usman Khawaja, Kurtis Patterson, Callum Ferguson, Matthew Wade, Steve O'Keefe, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers

From Daniel Brettig on the cricinfo website.

If this just isn't a stab in the dark, I'd say from that, the team would look like this:

1. Burns
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Fergusen
6. Patterson
7. Wade
8. SOK
9. Starc
10. Sayers
11. Hazlewood

Last edited:
This is the side Ben Dorries from the Courier Mail reckons should be picked for the third test.

1. Matt Renshaw
2. Dave Warner
3. Cameron Bancroft
4. Steve Smith (c)
5. Jake Lehmann
6. Kurtis Patterson
7. Mathew Wade
8. Mitchell Start
9. Steve O'Keefe
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Doug Bollinger

He's dropped Khawaja for Bancroft, no need to read the rest, though I do think his middle order is spot on.

I tell you what though, someone none of us have mentioned is Weatherald from SA. Like Renshaw, I still think it is too early for him but definitely one to keep a watch on. Could be the future opening partnership him and Renshaw.

I tell you what though, someone none of us have mentioned is Weatherald from SA. Like Renshaw, I still think it is too early for him but definitely one to keep a watch on. Could be the future opening partnership him and Renshaw.

Very good Shield Final- 66 and 96. Nice contrast first innings was crisp and full of shots and second one was patient and watchful.

A good start...... now for Sutherland to go as well, the whole system needs an overhaul.

I'd be keen for Ponting or S.Waugh to be chairman of selectors.

Punter strikes me as someone who would make a top selector. Get him in there

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.