Time for a new coach. . .

Hagan and Stuart won grand finals in their first seasons coaching...are they the greatest coaches of all time? LOLZ

Henjack is doing well, but time will tell. He and the boys are positive, one thing that seemed to be missing from the WB days. I think the new generation of players are keen to do well, where as some of the older ones were just keen to be broncos, so perhaps henjack has done something on that front.

Coxy said:
Hagan and Stuart won grand finals in their first seasons coaching...are they the greatest coaches of all time? LOLZ

I am just repeating what others have told me... Sorry next time I will insert Sarcasm

Bucking Beads said:
Coxy said:

I am just repeating what others have told me... Sorry next time I will insert Sarcasm

I figured it was sarcasm...I just can't believe some of the shit people come up with!

I think that people are overly harsh with Henjak... it may be because he is following such a successful coach, and that would have been difficult for any coach to do.

Foordy said:
I think that people are overly harsh with Henjak... it may be because he is following such a successful coach, and that would have been difficult for any coach to do.

I have acknowledged I was very harsh on Ivan, my main gripe was we had the same problems with Wayne as what we are having with Ivan. Surely you see something wrong you fix it.... I still think giving Ivan a 2 year extension after 1 year was a bit much, maybe 1 more season then go from there.

I love it that he has proved Gould wrong, AGAIN, or should be that still. Last year on the Roast Gould was suggesting that it would take about a year for the WB culture to wear off and then the broncos would probably fall in a heap. Good one Gus.

There's not many guys really left from the Wayne Bennett days. Really only Lockyer, Thaiday, Parker, Kenny & Wallace could claim to be coached by Bennett for the majority of their career at club level.

The new guys that have come in, Hoffman, Norman, Hunt, McCullough and Gillett have played most, if not all of their career under Henjak. Even guys like Te'o have probably played most of their club football under Henjak.

I'm probably missing a few. Only really next year will we see a team that is truely one that Henjak has requested or recruited.

lynx000 said:
I love it that he has proved Gould wrong, AGAIN, or should be that still. Last year on the Roast Gould was suggesting that it would take about a year for the WB culture to wear off and then the broncos would probably fall in a heap. Good one Gus.

Mark Geyer was worse, he was calling for Henjak to be sacked earlier in the season and Darren Lockyer appointed captain/coach [icon_lol1.

Geyer is, has been, and in all likelihood will remain a deeply flawed individual who will be missed by few. Not a good human who hurt a lot on his journey. Not everyone but more than he should have.

probably repeating what's been said already but can't be arsed to go through 11 pages.

but seriously, what's the deal with Henjak?

One week he looks completely useless, lame coach, the next he presides over a solid victory and his demeanour is no different?

Can he coach? Is he the one turning things around? Or is it the players and their experience/enthusiasm? If so, what's Henjak there for?

He seems to get to a point that is one step away from his services being unacceptable/untenurable, but always manages to pull it back from the brink.

I cant work it out.

Renegade said:
probably repeating what's been said already but can't be arsed to go through 11 pages.

but seriously, what's the deal with Henjak?

One week he looks completely useless, lame coach, the next he presides over a solid victory and his demeanour is no different?

Can he coach? Is he the one turning things around? Or is it the players and their experience/enthusiasm? If so, what's Henjak there for?

He seems to get to a point that is one step away from his services being unacceptable/untenurable, but always manages to pull it back from the brink.

I cant work it out.

I'm choosing to take it as his staunch belief that perseverance and hard work will pay off. Let's face it, the Broncos game plan isn't complicated. It's all about getting forward momentum and get into a position to attack, and then use the strikepower we have out wide.

Where he has introduced (IMO) some differentiation from the Wayne Bennett days is the variety in the plays amongst the forwards. Our forwards look to offload now. There are inside passes, even tap ons from our forwards to men running wider. Our back rowers do run wider than under Bennett.

Injuries etc were just cruelling the Broncos early this season, and there was a slump in intensity and energy mid-last season. Henjak didn't see the point in panicking and making lots of unforced changes, stick with the players he had, stick with the plan and eventually fortunes would turn.

Some would argue it's a pretty risky strategy, because there's every chance things won't turn, but that's how he approaches things.

It's really not much different to what Bennett and Bellamy have always done, the difference is Bellamy has never had to deal with an injury crisis or form crisis with his players.

So yes, I give Henjak a fair bit of credit for the turnaround.

On the flip side, I still have concerns about his ability to rev up his players and motivate them. To me that seems to rely completely on the senior players themselves. So I have some concern if Locky and Thaiday get into a bit of a post-Origin slump whether they'll drag some of the others down with them.

The possible negator to that is the form and enthusiasm of Te'o, Parker, Setu, Tronc, Hoffman, Yow Yeh...they're all firing and visibly motivated. If they keep that up they might be able to carry Locky and Thaiday (and perhaps Folau) through the inevitable post-Origin depression.

^^^ I agree with your view Coxy, and I think Henjak definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt, especially for his perseverance with the youngsters, which instilled quite a bit of confidence in them. We're definitely reaping the rewards now.

We had a similar slump under Bennett in 1999 where we had a far superior roster and no injuries. So I don't know how much you can necessarily blame IH

We lost Alfie at the end of that slump, he was there for most of it. I wouldn't call this year's slump reasonless, young roster, lots of injuries, players getting called up before they were probably ready.

The Rock said:
My concern is 2 years straight the Broncos have seen the WORST form slumps in our history. Sure we've had a few horrible form slumps in under Wayne too but the one's under Wayne seemed like it was an "energy" thing and not attitude. We have 6-7 players backing up after origin in those years and we looked fatigued. Even then our losses were not big at all were they? They were always small losses and losses where our form was just shit but you could still see the passion in the way they played. It's kinda of like we had an excuse to slump.

However with Henak, we've had 2 terrible slumps. Slumps where yes, we did have injuries but it we got smashed, we looked un-interested, we weren't impacted by origin and we simply didn't want to be out there. For me, that's a major concern. I hope it isn't a trend with Henjak in the future.

I hope the last 2 years of slumps are reflective of Henjak's inability to motivate his players, like Coxy said.

Time will tell.

The worst form slumps ever in the history of the club? sorry mate but thats a load of crap, compared to the roster the Broncos had in 1999 and the early to mid 2000's(where the late season finals and early exits from the finals was a regular occurance just as it was in the mid 90's) not to mention the experienced coach and the far better run of injuries compared to recent seasons(especially early this season, I don't recall us ever having as bad a run of injuries so early on and definitely not in 1999) and the fact that side were the premiers the previous season, they were very much guilty of lack of heart (and one of the major reason's Alfie left the Broncos during the slump, he didn't feel he had it in him to give the side what they needed from him) and it took a lot of changes in the makeup of the regular 17 to turn things around. Henjak hasn't had the luxury of walking into the position with a premiership squad for him to work with, infact his had to work into a situation where the club has had heavy turnover of players and overall he has one of the youngest if not the youngest inexperienced top 25 squad the Broncos have had, all things consider Henjak has done a more then solid job in difficult circumstances and deserves to be given the chance to prove himself.

The Rock said:
Whatever dude, give 1999 the worst slump in history tittle, doesn't really matter. [icon_lol1.

Fact is, that slump last year was absolutely terrible. Give it the 2nd worst slump in history. It had minimal excuses, it was just so embarrassing the way we got beaten. Records were broken and all - A similar thing occurred at the start of the year but difference being we had injuries. Nevertheless, both of these form slumps were pretty bad and I just hope they have nothing to do with Henjak's coaching style, that's all.

Deny it as much as you like but the Broncos have shown with far better rosters under Wayne Bennett's coaching they too have been guilty of terrible slumps if not worse when you compare then the previous two seasons and often the Broncos hadn't recovered from them when it counted.

A lot of sense being posted in this thread. I am firmly in the "unconvinced" basket with regards to Henjak.

Melbourne and their crisis certainly has take a lot of the microscope away from us. And throw as many kids as you like in our team. But the fact remains that Henjak still has and has always had a fair array of stars scattered throughout our team. Sure we have weak areas, but personnel cannot be blamed for some horrific losses (and sequences for that matter) in the last 2 seasons.

Oink !

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Reds2011
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Robboi_321
  • Strop
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • Gaz
  • bert_lifts
  • Stix
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.