Top 3 Club Games

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know if we've done this before, but people seem to be getting a bit nostalgic about past years so I thought it might be fun to reminisce a bit more.

Not counting grand finals, because that's an obvious top 6 right there, what are your 3(ish) favourite Broncos games? For whatever reason...

1: I think everyone's going to have the Bulldogs 06 semi in their list. An absolute corker, made even better by the fact that, for the first time in my life, I had totally given up hope at half time. Berrigan's try/headstand was a standout. This game comes pretty damn close to beating out a grand final for me, as close as a club game will ever come.

2: Another one that came to mind was a game against the Sharks, maybe 3-4 years ago? I'm sure someone will remember exactly when, but so many Broncos were injured the field looked like a war zone. They somehow held it together for the win - one of the gutsiest I've ever seen.

3: And the first Baby Broncos win against the Tigers at Campbeltown. So many first graders out and it was completely unexpected, but I was there and it was fantastic to watch.

I'm sure there are heaps of others, but these are three that occurred to me straight away.

1. Wendell vs The Dragons - Dell grabs 4 including a length of the field screamer.
2. Baby Broncos vs West Tigers - First time pretty much ever we pulled this type of match off.
3. Dogs Semi in '06 - Almost purely because of Berrigan's miracle try.

schmix said:
2: Another one that came to mind was a game against the Sharks, maybe 3-4 years ago? I'm sure someone will remember exactly when, but so many Broncos were injured the field looked like a war zone. They somehow held it together for the win - one of the gutsiest I've ever seen.

2002 I think that one was? At ANZ Stadium, and whenever Nick Graham got the ball, Allan Langer would tackle him before he could look up to see him coming. Alfie must've tackled him 15 times in that game!!!! Petero man of the match after running on one leg!

Obviously the '06 Prelim against the Dogs was huge and has already been mentioned, so I'll leave that one out as well.

1. 2000 Qualifying Final against the Sharks. Down by plenty at halftime, then an absolute barrage in the second half. Very similar to the '06 Prelim. It was that day when most people knew we couldn't possibly be beaten in 2000.

2. 2002 v Knights @ ANZ Stadium. Unbelievable game of football, not too many gave the Broncos a chance. Knights go up 12-0 early and it looked like curtains, but we fought back to get a try for Tuqiri on halftime, and the second half was just, well, let's just say it was one of the best outside back performances I have ever seen in my life from - the one and only - Mick De Vere. Defensively and in attack, it was the perfect performance from him. The chip and chase for the try to level it up, sensational. Then a Langer-Lockyer move sets up Chris Walker for the match winner. Also included a 40/20 from Andrew Gee. What a game!!!

3. The game in 2003 when we beat the Bulldogs 24-0. Awesome defence!!!

For me.

1. 1993 Preliminary Final. Broncos trailed the Bulldogs 16-10 at half time and having played 2 really tough knock out semis the previous fortnight, Glenn Lazarus and Terry Matterson still out injured, looked dusted. Out came Alf and Kerrod Walters second half to score an early equaliser. Mega arm wrestle from there, Broncos denying the Bulldogs on numerous occasions. Then Alfie calmly slotted a field goal to go up 17-16, and then Alan Cann scored one of his trademark tries running over about 100 defenders to score and win the game 23-16. The Grand Final was a gimme after that.

2. 1998: vs North Sydney. It was literally 2 days after Locky's horrific ARL Test debut against NZ. Media all and sundry were saying he was a pretender. Norths had been the Broncos' bogey side for years...result? Broncos won 60-6, and the highlight for me was Lockyer diving full stretch to catch an Alfie Langer bomb in goal to score...it was a **** YOU moment if ever I saw one!

3. Broncos vs Parramatta 2008. Eels were a struggling but Broncos in the grip of Origin malaise. See sawing battle, Broncos led 26-18 late only to let the Eels back in with 2 unconverted tries in the dying minutes, and it looked for all money like it was going to golden point. Siren goes, Lockyer sees space, kicks ahead, Denan Kemp flies onto the ball, collects, gets it down for his 4th try. Unbelievable! Probably made all the better because it happened right in front of me. It was probably one of the few times waiting for a video referee decision actually added to the excitement...the suspense!

Countdown style: (I must mine are recent because they are fresh in the memory bank - but I do have fond memories of the glory days but cant remember the EXACT matches, I do recall the Bears one Coxy is talking about - that indeed was after the horror knock on performance by Locky in the test match. I do remember the 24-0. How many times did we deny Utai?)

3) 2008: Broncos vs Eels. Mentioned above. Lockyer the clutch play king!!!

2) 2006: Broncos vs Knights. A complete thrashing but one of the most dominant finals displays Ive seen from the Broncos in the 'modern era' (The only one really I guess lol) I thought I would get much more satisfaction of getting this game over Joey, but I did feel sorry for him after - no doubt his team couldn't compete with us all across the park.

1) 2006: Broncos vs Bulldogs semi. We're not counting GFs but we have to count this one. The BEST club game I've ever seen bar none. Winning the GF's were awesome, emotional and relieving but this game was AMAZING. Loved it. I've got it on tape and I've seen it a million times. Hodges/Berro is something special but the Lockyer step try is my favourite moment in the game.

lockyer47 said:
1) 2006: Broncos vs Bulldogs semi. We're not counting GFs but we have to count this one. The BEST club game I've ever seen bar none. Winning the GF's were awesome, emotional and relieving but this game was AMAZING. Loved it. I've got it on tape and I've seen it a million times. Hodges/Berro is something special but the Lockyer step try is my favourite moment in the game.

Any way you can upload this game somewhere so i can grab it??

Sorry mate - I don't have the technologies to do that. It's on the good old VHS. For what it is worth though, if you do manage to get hold of an electronic copy - I would be interested.

(I hope we're not breaching copyright or something in the forum - if so, Mods feel free to delete and PM me blox)

Coxy said:
1. 1993 Preliminary Final. Broncos trailed the Bulldogs 16-10 at half time and having played 2 really tough knock out semis the previous fortnight, Glenn Lazarus and Terry Matterson still out injured, looked dusted. Out came Alf and Kerrod Walters second half to score an early equaliser. Mega arm wrestle from there, Broncos denying the Bulldogs on numerous occasions. Then Alfie calmly slotted a field goal to go up 17-16, and then Alan Cann scored one of his trademark tries running over about 100 defenders to score and win the game 23-16. The Grand Final was a gimme after that.

Yup, for me, that is porbably the only game that comes close to the Bulldogs semi in 06. I was thinking most people on this forum would be too young to remember it.

blox_party said:
lockyer47 said:

There is some highlights of the game on redtube, but the quality is pretty dodgy

My 3 are:
Broncos v Bulldogs semi final + Also the earlier club match where no-one had us winning and we won 30-0 or something like that, tied.

Broncos v Knights 2007, before Locky got injured when we thrashed them 70+ to 6. Lol, that game was uber fun.

Broncos v Titans 2007, again before Locky got injured, Lockyer kicks the field goal, it bounces off the left post, it bounces off the right post - HE SCORES!

blox_party said:
lockyer47 said:

You can watch it at nrl.com it's in the video archives icon_thumbs_u

mrslong said:
Broncos v Titans 2007, again before Locky got injured, Lockyer kicks the field goal, it bounces off the left post, it bounces off the right post - HE SCORES!

That should be worth 8 points....eh Jeza?

OXY-351 said:
There is some highlights of the game on redtube, but the quality is pretty dodgy

Perhaps highlights of the Hunt, Boyd, Thaiday post match celebrations..

In terms of best matches. The 2008 one against the Eels stands out along with all the games leading up the 2006 grand final, particularly the Bulldogs and Knights games but also the slump ending / form reversal match against the Storm at Suncorp (even though we lost). That match really kick started our run.

Another one that I always seem to remember is when we played the Sharks in 2005 without all our Origin players. One of the most enterprising games I've ever seen.

OXY-351 said:
Coxy said:

Yup, for me, that is porbably the only game that comes close to the Bulldogs semi in 06. I was thinking most people on this forum would be too young to remember it.

[quote="blox_party":2mlay210]
lockyer47 said:

There is some highlights of the game on redtube, but the quality is pretty dodgy[/quote:2mlay210]

redtube is awesome [icon_razz1

Games that haven't been mentioned:

Brisbane Broncos vs. Melbourne Storm 2000 @ ANZ Stadium
The defending premiers taking on a wounded Broncos outfit without a starting halves combination. This was the first game of football I actually watched and I was enthralled by the contest which featured a number of heart stopping momments. In the end the Broncos hold on to record a famous draw and keep their ANZ record alive.

Brisbane Broncos vs. Canberra Raiders 2003 @ Bruce Stadium
The top of the table tussle couldn't of come at a better time for the Raiders who were facing a struggling Brisbane outfit who supplied around eight players to the Origin fixture. Never the less the Broncos pulled off a miracle with an unlikely 90m intercept try by Scott Minto proving to be the difference.

Brisbane Broncos vs. Canberra Raiders @ Suncorp Stadium 2006
The Brisbane Broncos have always prided themselves on being a professional unit but when they went into the sheds facing an 18 blot scoreline few could wonder whether the Broncos were having one of those seasons. Little did they know the Broncos would rally and record one of their best come from behind victories in their history. In what turned out to be a brilliant result, the Broncos scored four tries in succession to put the match on it's head before the Raiders fought back to lock the game all up. The rest of the game was an arm wrestle until everybody's favourite halfback Shane Perry calmly put Hodges through a gap to score the match winner.

Other great club games that I'm aware of:
Brisbane Broncos vs. Newcastle Knights @ Marathon Stadium 1992 (I'm taking Wayne Bennett's word)
Brisbane Broncos vs. Sydney Roosters @ Suncorp Stadium 2003
Brisbane Broncos vs. Melbourne Storm @ Olympic Park 2003
Brisbane Broncos vs. Newcastle Knights @ Suncorp Stadium 2004
Brisbane Broncos vs. Bulldogs @ Suncorp Stadium 2005
Brisbane Broncos vs. Cronulla Sharks @ Suncorp Stadium 2006

^
Oh I didn't put the melbourne 2003 one, I thought I did.

Our FIRST golden point. Minto with the goose step! Remember that boys?

Unfortunately that was our last fond memory of 2003. Locky was injured that match and the rest is history.

Brisbane Broncos vs. Sydney Roosters @ Suncorp Stadium 2003

Is that the one which we won in the dying seconds with Locky kicking a field goal?? That game was awesome - I can still picture the Roosters fans in the background putting their heads in their hands as the ball sailed over _woohoo_

Now that I've typed that I realise that the game I'm talking about was at the SFS wasn't it? Can't remember the year though.

1999 broncoangel.

LOL, that was awesome. Our 11th win in a row too IIRC.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Manlyman
  • bb_gun
  • Hurrijo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • leon.bott
  • rj9
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • john1420
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Rowdy124
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Gaz
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.