OPINION Top 30 Wages Speculation Thread

Walsh on 700k I can see happening.

Here are the 2023 players I think we should be looking at, obviously can't sign all of them, but a short list let's say.

Ryan Sutton
Paul Vaughan
Royce Hunt
Marin Taupau
Justin Olam
Kodi Nikorima
Tom Opacic
Tariq Sims
Josh McGuire
Angus Crichton
It has been announced Sutton has signed with the Bulldogs 👍

I just can’t see a guy as switched on as Ikin releasing Isaako without good reason. There must be a big signing play occurring - probably an attempt at Walsh

Can I ask the question, when you say Ben Ikin is “switched on” what does that mean? I’m sure every senior official at every club is a “switched on” kind of person who probably excelled at some field before working at a NRL club.

That's definitely the way it was reported, but i recall one of the people in the know on here (possibly @1910) mentioned that in reality the 400k was where the contract ended, but it was a sliding scale so the earlier years weren't at 400k.

although i could be wrong
Now you mention it I think his development contract is the same but the extra years are 400k

Can I ask the question, when you say Ben Ikin is “switched on” what does that mean? I’m sure every senior official at every club is a “switched on” kind of person who probably excelled at some field before working at a NRL club.
There's a podcast on YouTube with Ikin and David Mead gives you a very small insight into how Ikin works..

That's definitely the way it was reported, but i recall one of the people in the know on here (possibly @1910) mentioned that in reality the 400k was where the contract ended, but it was a sliding scale so the earlier years weren't at 400k.

although i could be wrong

Yeah it increases, the last year is starting back rower money. He was added to the top 30 last year which became a fourth year. They leave that out of the “three year deal” reporting.

Also if we did sign someone like Walsh, we are effectively swapping his salary, which let's say it's 750k, with Niu's 450k~ so it's only a 300k upgrade, no brainer really, then we should still have plenty of money to sign someone like Parcell and still have money left over for a smart signing elsewhere. Something like getting rid of Oates and backing Pereira, then using the left over money to pick up some depth in the backrow.

I think there's a lot of room to play with, so it's all on how shrewd Ikin is what the end result will be.

Is Flegler really on 650K......

What has he done again? **** all from memory.....how's he getting 650K?

If your looking to save coin...there's a good place to start.

Is Flegler really on 650K......

What has he done again? **** all from memory.....how's he getting 650K?

If your looking to save coin...there's a good place to start.
It's hard to tell if the story is accurate because there has been conflicting reports, but given how tight our cap is there is definitely some overpaid duds considering most of them don't deserve more than the minimum. Flegler is really a 300k prop but was apparently offered 800k by other clubs so we had to pay 650k to keep him.

Hopefully he's being shopped around but I can't see many clubs wanting a suspension magnet.

A good point someone made earlier about some of our young blokes coming through....who think they're worth a shit tonne of cash.

How are we doing boys......you think you've been going well? We're a bottom 4 team FFS!! You can't be going that great.

You're worth 250K and thats it....until we start putting wins on the board...regularly. If we don't make the semis...there won't be any upgrades to any ***** pay packet. End of story/

It's hard to tell if the story is accurate because there has been conflicting reports, but given how tight our cap is there is definitely some overpaid duds considering most of them don't deserve more than the minimum. Flegler is really a 300k prop but was apparently offered 800k by other clubs so we had to pay 650k to keep him.

Hopefully he's being shopped around but I can't see many clubs wanting a suspension magnet.
I think the original stories were along the lines of Flegler being offered $800k deal total (ie. we'll give you $800k over 2yrs = $400k a year)... so if the Broncos deal is $650k it would be $650k total.

It's the same as when Fox try to lure you in that a young stud has been offered a $1m to play at dogs or whatever... when you click you realise it's $1m over 3yrs.

The same happened with Carrigan and Flegler ... zero tackle just never bothered to update their $650k so everyone blows up that Flegs is on waaaay too much money.... when the more likely scenario is that he's probably on $300k-$350k.

The Broncos arent going to go out there and sign up Flegler as the 2nd or 3rd highest wage on the books (he would be on more than Kotoni if he's on $650k).

Yeah I seriously don't buy we have to let Haas go to sign players. I think with our squad we have at least 1 marquee signing we can manoeuvre into the cap for next year, especially with the Isaako thing.

Whether we can get anyone worth signing is another question unfortunately.
It's not that we should let him go, it's that we shouldn't offer him a huge contract. The huge contracts need to be for a spine player and the rest of the team should be built around them.

A good point someone made earlier about some of our young blokes coming through....who think they're worth a shit tonne of cash.

How are we doing boys......you think you've been going well? We're a bottom 4 team FFS!! You can't be going that great.

You're worth 250K and thats it....until we start putting wins on the board...regularly. If we don't make the semis...there won't be any upgrades to any ***** pay packet. End of story/

Talking to a few Norths boys from 1980 once and they said when Graham Lowe came over to coach in 80 they were all whinging we have lost this bloke and this bloke and he's left and Lowe stopped it and said you came last in 79 so none of them can be that good.

I think the original stories were along the lines of Flegler being offered $800k deal total (ie. we'll give you $800k over 2yrs = $400k a year)... so if the Broncos deal is $650k it would be $650k total.

It's the same as when Fox try to lure you in that a young stud has been offered a $1m to play at dogs or whatever... when you click you realise it's $1m over 3yrs.

The same happened with Carrigan and Flegler ... zero tackle just never bothered to update their $650k so everyone blows up that Flegs is on waaaay too much money.... when the more likely scenario is that he's probably on $300k-$350k.

The Broncos arent going to go out there and sign up Flegler as the 2nd or 3rd highest wage on the books (he would be on more than Kotoni if he's on $650k).
Staggs is on $800k a year reportedly

Everywhere I've read, it's the 700k mark

"Staggs' new four-year deal, believed to be worth just under $3 million"

"Brisbane have upped the ante in the bidding war for Kotoni Staggs by tabling a mega $2.8 million deal"
". Brisbane’s new deal is worth around $700,000 a season and while the package cannot trump Sydney-based offers"

Nah it was reported that he was after an $800k deal to get him to move to Sydney, but no one ended up giving it to him.

Pretty sure Chris Garry or Dobbo or someone reported we signed him for $2.4m over 4yrs days before we signed him.... and then media have been raising it from there... as they do

I keep reading we should let Haas go to sign some big name player, but it doesn't make sense to me. Other clubs have a heap of big money signings and still fill in plenty of quality players, we have like 3 guns (Reynolds, Staggs, Haas) yet we need to let go of Haas to sign others.

So thought I'd do some speculating on player wages, if you have a better idea, correct me so we can guess the salary cap position.

Operating at a 9.6m cap total including vet/car allowance, etc.

I've hyperlinked salary to article if there is any with mention of salary.

Top 30:
Arthars - 120k
Capewell - 450k
Carrigan - 500k
Cobbo - 180k
Farnworth - Not signed
Flegler - 650k
Gamble - 250k?
Haas - 850k
Hetherington - 250k?
Hoeter - 120k - Not signed
James - 120k - Not signed
Kelly - 120k
Jensen - 250k?
Kennedy - 120k - Not signed
Brenko - 200k?
Mam - 250k?
Mead - Not signed
Niu - 450k?
Oates - Not signed - 300k if he stays on?
Paix - 200k?
Palasia - 300k? - Not signed
Pereira - 250k?
Reynolds 750k
Riki - 450k?
TC Robati - 300k?
Staggs - 700k
Turpin - Not signed
Walters - Not signed
Piakura - 400k

Total salary 8.75million for players signed for next year. If we replace Turpin/Walters with minimum wage players, that's another 240k leaving us at 8.99m, with 1 spot open and 0.75m to spend.

Given we have an extra 4%~ on the cap next year by moving Isaako on, that should leave us with an extra 400k on top of the 750k free as a sign on bonus to nab a marquee signing or to front load some contracts.

If you disagree with some of those salaries let me know, just taking wild guesses for some of them obviously.
Should we be incorporating these numbers into the Roster Tracker table?

Should we be incorporating these numbers into the Roster Tracker table?

Sounds great to me.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • mrslong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • levikaden
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.