TPJ....Grub, or not?

Grub isn't the right word ...

Aggressive ... absolutely; and sometimes he does cross the line ...

but on Friday, i don't think he did ... and he shouldn't have been charged for it. O'Neill was on the ground without a hand on him, therefore the tackle was not completed, so TPJ had every right to hit him as hard as he liked, just as long as there was no contact with the head, which there wasn't.

and given the charge was for dangerous contact to the head/neck and there was no contact with the head or neck, then he should get off at the judiciary, if they were fair dinkum ... but i'm not going to hold my breath, as i'd pass out before the judiciary proved it's competence.
Video evidence is pretty clear he didnt. Surely brains apply here at the judicary.

On friday, o'neill was dazed by the whiplash affect making the back of his head hit the ground, not any contact from TPJ.

But in general, TPJ does misplace his aggression. The purpose of the aggression would be to fire up his team and intimidate the opposition.

He should use his agression in his running and legal tackling. It fires the team up more when he bounces players off him running or crushes another forward running the ball. Not a late hit on a ball player in the back or aggressively coming in on a player already on the deck. As an opposition player, if you see your "enforcer" get crunched, that can affect the teams performance/confidence.

I.e TPJ vs JT last year, Thaiday vs JWH 2015.

O’Neill came back on after passing a concussion test and then got hammered by Staggs where his head hit the ground. He wasn’t excluded from the game due to TPJ

It’s time for him to be financially effected by the club. It’s probably too late now, as he has already signed his contract but I think the only thing that may make him stop is that he doesn’t get paid for the weeks he has to sit out due to his misconduct on field.
lets not forget this was his first game back from a 5wk suspension.
He needs to have a real hard look at himself. He is really effecting this team as we are already struggling with injuries and suspensions.
he is paid to play week in week out, and he is not delivering, as a result of his own actions.

It’s time for him to be financially effected by the club. It’s probably too late now, as he has already signed his contract but I think the only thing that may make him stop is that he doesn’t get paid for the weeks he has to sit out due to his misconduct on field.
lets not forget this was his first game back from a 5wk suspension.
He needs to have a real hard look at himself. He is really effecting this team as we are already struggling with injuries and suspensions.
he is paid to play week in week out, and he is not delivering, as a result of his own actions.

the 5 week suspension was complete BS also

Wether you think he's a grub or not. He's missed 9/10 rounds of football by going hard at players on the ground.

That's gotta stop. We're a much much better football team when he is playing.

Yeah agree, I think most of his suspensions have been absurd but there’s no point continuing it. He’s fantastic with the ball in hand, i’d prefer he jus quietly do his job defensively now and forget being the enforcer.

Yeah agree, I think most of his suspensions have been absurd but there’s no point continuing it. He’s fantastic with the ball in hand, i’d prefer he jus quietly do his job defensively now and forget being the enforcer.

Agree, however being an enforcer is sitting props on their arses as Thaiday did to JWH some years ago, or even the way Staggs crunched JT2 on Friday as opposed to flopping on a player on the ground. That is not enforcing anything except reinforcing he's a dick.

I want to see TPJ smashing his opposites, not flopping on outside backs

I hope the club are taking a hard line with TPJ. The punishment may not fit the crime but what did he expect to happen? The judiciary has made it painfully obvious that they are going after him. I was in disbelief when I saw him do it, how on earth can one bloke be that stupid. His unacceptable discipline affected the tail end of last season and he starts this season this way?? What a flog!

Grub isn't the right word ...

Aggressive ... absolutely; and sometimes he does cross the line ...

but on Friday, i don't think he did ... and he shouldn't have been charged for it. O'Neill was on the ground without a hand on him, therefore the tackle was not completed, so TPJ had every right to hit him as hard as he liked, just as long as there was no contact with the head, which there wasn't.

and given the charge was for dangerous contact to the head/neck and there was no contact with the head or neck, then he should get off at the judiciary, if they were fair dinkum ... but i'm not going to hold my breath, as i'd pass out before the judiciary proved it's competence.
I agree haven`t seen an angle yet of contact with Oneils head . Greg Alexander made out it was an open and shut case . I didn`t see the evidence for that call .
TPJ hit his arms , the ball and shoulder as far as I could tell . Then his head recoiled and hit the ground .
Still not a fan of diving into blokes on the ground . You wouldn`t coach kids to do that .
So why allow it when a simple touch of the hand is enough to complete the tackle .

Last edited:
im guessing he is trying to force the ball free,till i see his shoulder hitting his head it will be a bullshit ban.

Oneil was on the ground not tackled, tevita simply effected the tackle which he is entitled and expected to do. oneils head hit the ground causing a whiplash effect. This is a contact sport.

Nothing illegal whatsoever... shouldnt have been a penalty let alone a 4 week suspension!!!!!!!!!

Im not happy that the commentators of the game instantly presumed his guilt without even looking at replays and it appears the the judiciary have done the same.

Im not happy that the commentators of the game instantly presumed his guilt without even looking at replays and it appears the judiciary has done the same.

This is easy to agree with. Their immediate reaction and consequent follow up dictates the narrative in the minds of people.

I just revisited last year's suspension for his tackle on Maloney. I'm still annoyed about that one. This is even worse in terms of over-zealousness on the part of the judiciary. 4 weeks for that is criminal of them. With both tackles, the player was allowed to play on. Is he meant to wait for them to play on before he acts? The player only has to pass the ball to a teammate next to them and there's open space with both occasions. Not one single player in the NRL would just "put a hand on them", and on both occasions, Tevita has just attempted to lock the ball up. No malice, but he's a big guy. He's done nothing illegal and been wiped out for a total of 8 games. It appears our club have learned over many years, it's better just to accept these rubbish rulings and move on.

I saw tries over the weekend where people with the ball raised elbows, and honestly, they were natural body movements for anyone in that position. However, that in itself is dangerous. It makes me question what will happen to Tevita in that scoring motion.

If they are suspending him for 4 weeks for this, then the Broncos need to pressure the NRL to charge any player who does this, and it's in every single game of the NRL every week. That will be a great game, won't it? Every week a team having 1/3 of their forward pack suspended.

Because Taumalolo uses his right arm to swing into the tackle, he doesn't pin it to his body.

A shoulder charge is where you make no legitimate attempt to make a tackle, swinging your arm in is fine even if it generates the same amount of force.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Maddy
  • davidp
  • MrMoore
  • BrentTatesChin
  • Culhwch
  • teampjta
  • Financeguy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Gaz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncos Maestro
  • upthebroncs
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Sproj
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.