TPJ to represent Tonga

• Thread starter Lockyer daughters up
  • Start date
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I thought he had sons haha. But seriously, good call big fella. Who'd want to pay for the Blues anyway?

Lockyer daughters up

Lockyer daughters up

BRL Player
Mar 17, 2018
This thread makes no sense.

1) He's already represented Tonga?

Please reads this re SOO eligibility. As he was born a Sydney boy and grew up here...
https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/stateoforigineligibilityexplained.pdf
He didn't grow up here. He was born in Sydney and played all of his junior football for Newcastle.
Yes, he currently represents Tonga but every man and his dog in the media has been saying that he is a bolter to play for NSW this year assuming he would pledge his allegiance to them. He just confirmed that he won't be which was the point of the this thread.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
This thread makes no sense.

1) He's already represented Tonga?

Please reads this re SOO eligibility. As he was born a Sydney boy and grew up here...
https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/stateoforigineligibilityexplained.pdf

for a "former rugby league player", i would have thought you would have known that they changed the rules around representing tier 2 nations and playing origin...

in case you missed it, a player can represent a tier 2 nation (i.e. PNG, Tonga, Fiji etc) if they have not been selected for a tier 1 nation (i.e. Australia, NZ, Eng) with out affecting their eligibility to represent the tier 1 nation they are eligible for ...

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
He didn't grow up here. He was born in Sydney and played all of his junior football for Newcastle.
Yes, he currently represents Tonga but every man and his dog in the media has been saying that he is a bolter to play for NSW this year assuming he would pledge his allegiance to them. He just confirmed that he won't be which was the point of the this thread.

Here is Sydney for me - should have made that clear sorry.

for a "former rugby league player", i would have thought you would have known that they changed the rules around representing tier 2 nations and playing origin...

in case you missed it, a player can represent a tier 2 nation (i.e. PNG, Tonga, Fiji etc) if they have not been selected for a tier 1 nation (i.e. Australia, NZ, Eng) with out affecting their eligibility to represent the tier 1 nation they are eligible for ...

Correct, and he had chosen Tonga a little while ago - im pretty sure he released a statement during or before the world cup stating his intentions. My comment was in response to the OP - he suggested that its "news" and that he is not eligble for NSW - which is not correct.

My understanding is as you have said - if they are tied to a teir 2 nation, they are still eligible for NSW/QLD also. If it was Tier 1, this would be a different story.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I honestly think the media has a lot to do with this. Why would you want to play for nsw when you hear the way players are treated after every loss. The media ensures every players value dips after every nsw loss (at least twice a year) so it financially probably breaks even tbh. Lyon led the way, and Inglis followed (luckily for us) in turning down the blues. Bennett may have whispered in his ear that it'd be compensated via his broncos salary as well.

If we keep him and lodge and nsw/the media stick to their moral high ground by not picking lodge (I doubt this very very much) it'd be all the more satisfying every time we beat one of the daily telegraphs favourites (eg roosters, eels, dragons) and they don't talk those players up.

On an additional note, Nsw are stupid enough to not pick Roberts (perfect game breaking ability for origin!) then they'd probably be stupid enough to pick players like woods ahead of TPJ for years to come anyway. Im also guessing bird won't see a blues jersey for the next 4 years no matter what form he shows and despite the fact he has been one of their best debutants for years...

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
You would think TPJ not playing Origin, but having Origin form would make his value to a club go up .

A player that doesn't have to sit out a round or two every year, is more valuable to club than one that does.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
seems like a pretty Loyal guy ... hopefully it means he will tell every other club to **** off as he re-signs with us

Newcastle apparently still have plenty in their cap and will offer him big $$ to come back.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Newcastle apparently still have plenty in their cap and will offer him big $$ to come back.

according to Slothfield ... although, i'm not sure how he came up with that, from watching that segment, it seemed like he was making a suggestion to the Knight, not necessarily something the Knights have considered at this stage.

I also don't think the Knights have as much money in their cap as Slothfield thinks ... they paid big money to Ponga and likely to Guerra, Pearce and decent coin to Moga and Ese'ese. they also bought Heighington, Lilyman, Griffin and Watson this season.

all up their recruitment for 2018 would have set them back sizable amount and I don't think any of them are 1 year contracts

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
according to Slothfield ... although, i'm not sure how he came up with that, from watching that segment, it seemed like he was making a suggestion to the Knight, not necessarily something the Knights have considered at this stage.

I also don't think the Knights have as much money in their cap as Slothfield thinks ... they paid big money to Ponga and likely to Guerra, Pearce and decent coin to Moga and Ese'ese. they also bought Heighington, Lilyman, Griffin and Watson this season.

all up their recruitment for 2018 would have set them back sizable amount and I don't think any of them are 1 year contracts

It looks to me like Nate Brown is an open book so their cap position and recruiting intentions would be well known . Guerra, I don't think, would be on big coin, the other 2 yes and they would have some others coming off contract. Even if they can offer 500k we would be hard pressed to go close. Let's hope TPJ isn't motivated by $$$.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Also, there’s a salary cap floor now where clubs have to spend 95% of this cap each year so unless there’s a lot of front ended contracts, Buzz is talking out of his backside - which should surprise no-one.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • Swordfish
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  • Santa
  • Maddy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.