International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
NRL 2019 Pre-Season Trial #3
Gold Coast Titans vs. Brisbane Broncos
Cbus Super Stadium, Saturday 2nd of March 2019
Kick Off 6:30pm
Channel:
NRL.com

Brisbane Broncos: 1. Darius Boyd 2. Corey Oates 3. James Roberts 4. Jack Bird 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. Sean O’Sullivan 7. Kodi Nikorima 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Joe Ofahengaue 11. Alex Glenn 12. David Fifita 13. Matt Gillett 14. Kotoni Staggs 15. Jaydn Sua 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Shaun Fensom 18. Patty Carrigan 19. Jake Turpin 20. Richard Kennar 21. Gehamat Shibasaki 22. Tom Dearden

Gold Coast Titans: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Brenko Lee 3. Tyrone Peachey 4. Brian Kelly 5. Phillip Sami 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Nathan Peats 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow 14. Mitch Rein 15. Moeaki Fotuaika 16. Max King 17. Will Matthews 18. Jack Stockwell 19. Alexander Brimson 20. Anthony Don 21. Dale Copley 22. Treymain Spry 23. Ryley Jacks 24. Jesse Arthars

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
So am I reading this correctly? Matt Gillett is set to play his first game since succumbing to his fractured neck in the Round 5 loss against Newcastle. Wow, what an amazing moment for a club legend. Fingers crossed he gets through the game, and hopefully Thomas Flegler, Patrick Carrigan, Shaun Fensom and Sam Tagataese can all put their hands up to fill Payne Haas' spot on the bench.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I don't recall hearing or seeing the pommie (Sonny-Bill) Sevielo guy playing at the weekend. Did he play that badly that everyone ignored him or was he not on?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Omitted in favour of Jamil Hopoate.

Read into that what you will.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't recall hearing or seeing the pommie (Sonny-Bill) Sevielo guy playing at the weekend. Did he play that badly that everyone ignored him or was he not on?

I don't think it is that he played badly ... just that his injury has caused him to fall in the pecking order given the emergence of the likes of Fifita, Haas, Carrigan and Flegler

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Omitted in favour of Jamil Hopoate.

Read into that what you will.
Thanks @Big Pete. I'm a bit confused with Foordy's comment though. I'm tending to think he never played then eh.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Savelio played in the first trial.

Unless there was an unreported injury, he was simply overlooked for other options. The fact one of them was a train and trial player may suggest he's fallen further behind.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I would expect us to find out tomorrow but I'm guessing it will be an extended side, maybe not as large as the last trial.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
O'Sullivan Chases Another Shot
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 05:11 PM
SEAN O'Sullivan has described his Broncos' debut as a fun outing in the 'best job' in the world.
The clever young half showed some of his skills against the Wynnum Seagulls on Saturday night in a 26-12 win.
Tomorrow he will learn if he gets another chance to impress when the Broncos' team to face the Titans this Saturday in a final trial is named.
O'Sullivan said he had enjoyed his first run out in the Broncos' colours.
"That first 20 minutes was really fast - we were struggling there to get our lungs," he said.
"It was awesome to run out in a Broncos' jersey for the first time and have some fun with our teammates.
"It was good to put into practice what we have learned over the pre-season and we can take a lot out of it.
"You can't complain when you are having fun with your mates playing footy.
"It's what we love doing and it is just the best job."
The Broncos are expected to name a near-full strength team tomorrow as they complete their pre-season preparation for the March 14 opener.
It will be the players' last chance to make their case for inclusion for that round-one game against the Storm in Melbourne.
O'Sullivan said he hoped he had done enough against Wynnum to get another shot.
"Obviously I would love to play against the Titans, so we will just see how it goes," he said.

Source: Broncos.com.au

May get his chance. Thought I read earlier Milford was being rested from trial games.

Last edited:
Donald Garner

Donald Garner

NRL Player
Feb 5, 2017
Team has been named

BRONCOS NRL TEAM
1. Darius Boyd (c)
2. Corey Oates
3. James Roberts
4. Jack Bird
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Sean O’Sullivan
7. Kodi Nikorima
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. David Fifita
13. Matt Gillett
Interchange:
14. Kotoni Staggs
15. Jaydn Su’A
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Shaun Fensom
18. Patrick Carrigan
19. Jake Turpin
20. Richie Kennar
21. Gehamat Shibasaki
22. Tom Dearden

Replaced Milford at 6, Haas at 17 and Pangi at 16 and that’s pretty close to what I expect our full strength team to look like

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Gillett at lock is very interesting.

I would love for him to be our new lock as I think he would be one of our better options.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Gillett at lock is very interesting.

I would love for him to be our new lock as I think he would be one of our better options.

It's interesting to me seeing as Seibold basically said he likes his lock to play as a middle forward, and Gillo isn't one of those. Maybe our style isn't going to be what he played at Souths

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Gillett has played a number of games for the full 80 minutes too, so if his fitness is still there he'll make a great lock. I see it was not just me that @Huge's Tagetese has failed to impress. The ones that count seem to agree with observations of his last outing as he can't even make it into the final 22. Hope he continues to rip in when playing ISC, we may need him later on in the year.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
IF TPJ does come back into the 13 jersey, do we think Glenn still starts or will it be Fifita and Gillett in the second row? Purely for Supercoach considerations.

Nepal Donkeys

Nepal Donkeys

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Few interesting takeaways from this trial team, if reading the tea leaves correctly.

1. Dearden appears to have jumped ahead of Paix and T Boyd in the 'young halves' sweepstakes.
2. Su'A would appear to be fourth on the Seibold edge depth chart. I think we're going to regret having paid good coin for him last year with the emergence of depth on the edge.
3. I feel like the first choice lock is still going to be Pangai Jnr. I'd say Gillett, Glenn and Fifita will all feature in the 17, just interesting to see who ends up on the bench.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Few interesting takeaways from this trial team, if reading the tea leaves correctly.

1. Dearden appears to have jumped ahead of Paix and T Boyd in the 'young halves' sweepstakes.
2. Su'A would appear to be fourth on the Seibold edge depth chart. I think we're going to regret having paid good coin for him last year with the emergence of depth on the edge.
3. I feel like the first choice lock is still going to be Pangai Jnr. I'd say Gillett, Glenn and Fifita will all feature in the 17, just interesting to see who ends up on the bench.

I think with Su'a, Glenn and Gillett are getting on a bit. Even though Gillett still has 4 years to run, the last year or two I can see him taking a step back a bit, either playing reduced minutes or becoming a reliable bench veteran. His body won't be able to stand up to 40 tackles / 80 minutes a week forever. And Glenn isn't going to be here forever either. I think retaining Su'a was always a move for the future.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

1. 100%
2. If Gillett is playing in the middle technically he'd be 3rd on the depth chart, people forget that Su'A was playing better than Glenn last year when starting and playing 80. Give him a full season to get over that bad ankle injury, move Glenn on after this season, give Su'A the left edge starting job next season. We won't regret it. Su'A & Fifita on the edges has always been the long-term plan.
3. I think Gillett will be our 13 all year with TPJ on the bench, until he can prove he's capable of stringing 2 months of footy together without coming off for a calf or hamstring complaint, he isn't fit for a starting role.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Morkel
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.