Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

K

Kelleher

NYC Player
Mar 16, 2015
I do forget this is actually Glenn's last year on his deal, so there is that. Su'A did have an ankle injury earlier too.

I hate Gillett at 13, especially at the expense of a dynamic ball runner like Pangai. Think his injury concerns are getting overplayed now. He spent all of last year shuffling around positions, he needs a consistent position (which should be 13).

This is a very near top side. Will be a cracker to see them all out there again. I think the forward rotation is a tough one for this year. We have such great depth. I agree Fafita and Su'a are the future second rowers, I think Su'a once fully fit and the ankle looks like it will hold up, might just get the nod for defensive reasons. But either of them are great off the bench too. I think they could both play edge, middle or even centre. Gillet at lock on Saturday will allow him to ease into his first game back. He won't play a full game, he will come off for TPJ or Su'a one would think. Glenn and Fifita are the fittest 2nd rowers atm and should be starting. Gillo and Sua have missed basically a whole preseason.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Re-signing Su'A absolutely made sense, he and Fifita are the future stars of the backline. No one could believe how quickly Fifita came on in my opinion.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
It's been a long road back but I'm ready to rip in: Gillett

Author
Tony WebeckNRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Tue 26 Feb 2019, 03:00 PMvia Email
Broncos back-rower Matt Gillett is confident he can be the player he once was but must first get past the nerves of playing for the first time since suffering a neck injury he feared could end his career.
Gillett has been named at lock for Saturday’s trial against the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium and despite some lingering doubts is confident his body is up to the rigours of playing in the NRL.
Taking the reins for the first time as Broncos coach, Anthony Seibold has named a strong side for the final pre-season hit-out with five-eighth Anthony Milford and the injured Tevita Pangai Jnr the only big names not expected to see any minutes against the Titans.
Gillett will play as many minutes as his body allows but it will be the mental hurdle ahead of the first tackle or hit-up that will present the greatest challenge.
The 30-year-old unknowingly played with a neck fracture for a month before the extent of the damage was fully realised after the round five game against Newcastle.
The one silver lining was that rest – and not surgery – was the remedy but he didn’t escape the surgeon’s knife altogether, booking in for a shoulder reconstruction once he realised his season was over.
gillettm--180401703.jpg

Matt Gillett is set for a return against the Titans on Saturday.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Players such as Gorden Tallis, Matt Scott and Ethan Lowe have struggled to scale the same heights following serious neck injuries and Gillett knows it may take time before he starts to feel like his old self again.
“There have been thoughts going through the head of what could happen and stuff like that but as soon as I go out there and train and get into game-mode my head clears and you’re out there just playing footy again,” said Gillett, a veteran of 183 games for the Broncos.
“It might take me a month or two to get back to where I was but no expectations, I’ve just got to go out there and rip in.

“I’ll be a bit nervous to get back out there and get back into the swing of things but I’m fully prepared.
“It’s been a long road but I'm very excited. I got a bit nervous in the team meeting this morning when they put up the opposition of who we are playing. That's when you get that feeling coming back of preparing for a game.
“The body’s in good nick at the moment so I’ll just try and make a few tackles, take a few runs. I'm not expecting too many big things but excited to get out there with the boys.”
A father of two, Gillett gave an emotional interview to Channel Nine following the news of the neck fracture as the enormity of what he had been through hit home.
Good friend and Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough saw the interview too but believes Gillett has done the work necessary to recapture the form that made him the Dally M second-rower of the year in 2016 and 2017. and Broncos big guns return for Titans trial
“That puts football into perspective of how small it is in your life, especially with kids and being able to raise a family and run around,” McCullough told NRL.com.
“When that gets put in jeopardy it’s certainly an emotional time not just for him but his whole family around him. They’re all riding the wave of emotion with him.
“He’s worked really hard over the past 10 or 11 months to get back into this position and if he’s not right to go he wouldn’t be playing.
It might take me a month or two to get back to where I was but no expectations, I’ve just got to go out there and rip in
Matt Gillett​
“Building that confidence up will be a big indication for him but I’d like to think he would (get back to that level).”
The injury to Pangai and the emergence of teen sensation David Fifita means that Gillett will make his comeback in the unfamiliar No.13 jersey on Saturday and is prepared to learn a new life in the middle if that’s what the team requires.
“Tevita getting injured wasn’t ideal for the team so I’ve got to fill in there, whether that’s one week, two weeks or three," Gillett explained.
“I’m used to right-edge back row so I’ve got a role to play there which is different.
“I had my first little hit-out there today and found myself running around a bit crazy but I’ve just got get used to that role as quick as I can and Saturday is a good chance to nail it.
“Ideally we will have Tevita there fit and healthy and me at right back row. I’ve just got to learn my role and play my role for the team but I’m confident when Tevita comes back I’ll shift out to the right edge.”

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Re-signing Su'A absolutely made sense, he and Fifita are the future stars of the backline. No one could believe how quickly Fifita came on in my opinion.

Early in the year playing MM, I thought Fifita was treading water and just doing enough. But once he played against men and I was at his second game where he ran 80m to score, he had the same impact as Inglis- he couldn't play ISC for long. He just matured around men. He needed the challenge. I would have been shocked at the start of the year but not once he was playing ISC.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Even with my Carrigan tinted specs I don't think Flegler was as good as Patty. The thing I do think Flegler offers over Pat is he tends to be more impactful when he comes on but isn't really effective playing big minutes which may suit a bench role better right now.
From what I've seen, which isn't as much as you, I think Carrigan is better too but I definitely think Flegler was one of the best on the field the other night which could have put him above Carrigan as a bench impact forward which is the spot that they are currently fighting for. Could we fit them both in the 17?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
From what I've seen, which isn't as much as you, I think Carrigan is better too but I definitely think Flegler was one of the best on the field the other night which could have put him above Carrigan as a bench impact forward which is the spot that they are currently fighting for. Could we fit them both in the 17?

I think we could, but if Seibold wants pure impact then I'd actually probably lean more towards Flegler. He would be ideal for a couple of 15 min spells. Carrigan doesn't really have the same sort of impact, but generally I think he is a more reliable player.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Bradley Clyde...i mean Gillett at lock is a good move. Give him some room to get comfortable.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

There could be room for both if TPJ doesn't play, personally I'd love to see both there but really I think we will only see one and I'd be happy with either.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015

Not if TPJ is back. But otherwise, yeah i’d take both of them over Fensom.

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I think we could, but if Seibold wants pure impact then I'd actually probably lean more towards Flegler. He would be ideal for a couple of 15 min spells. Carrigan doesn't really have the same sort of impact, but generally I think he is a more reliable player.
After last year's defensive efforts, and with such a young forward pack, I think we need consistency from our bench more than impact.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Marion seve named at center in a strong storm side , wondering if Bellamy has weaved his magic on him. And tino 18th man , would imagine he'll end up on their bench sometime this year.

Mitch06

Mitch06

NRL Player
Jan 23, 2014
Marion seve named at center in a strong storm side , wondering if Bellamy has weaved his magic on him. And tino 18th man , would imagine he'll end up on their bench sometime this year.
I watched the final between Redcliffe and Sunny Coast?
He looked dangerousat wing and centre. Wouldn't be surprised if he's first in line as a depth option for them.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I watched the final between Redcliffe and Sunny Coast?
He looked dangerousat wing and centre. Wouldn't be surprised if he's first in line as a depth option for them.

Which final was that?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Lostboy
  • Battler
  • Scorchie
  • lynx000
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Swordfish
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.