POST GAME Trial #3 vs. Gold Coast Titans

Keen to see how kodi goes as the "senior" half surrounded by a strong forward pack. I wonder who will take control out of him and sos.

Keen to see how kodi goes as the "senior" half surrounded by a strong forward pack. I wonder who will take control out of him and sos.
Good question.

I’m tipping O’Sullivan.

In his short career, he seems to have the natural hallmarks of a dominant half, whereas Kodi hasn’t demonstrated that in his NRL career to date.

Outside of Cronk, I can’t think of a player that has been able to manufacture that. So if he hasn’t yet, I don’t know that he will.

I think it'll be Kodi purely because he's the much more senior player. SOS won't be in the side, at least to start the season. He just has to do the little things right, kick well, put some players into gaps etc. just to stay in contention in the future.

At the risk of going off prematurely, Seibold's decision to move Gillett to lock forward could prove to be his first masterstroke at the club. Matt Gillett has a reputation as a supreme defender and while the stats aren't entirely accurate his 92 Missed Tackles (5th Worst in the NRL) demonstrate his reputation as the best edge defender was overrated. Sure, Gillett could come up with big defensive plays on the edge, but it wasn't an area he was consistent in or something the Broncos could rely on, especially coming off a fractured neck. Furthermore his work on the otherside of the ball was sorely lacking. It was frustrating to watch Gillett come up with performances like the Round 6 2017 game where he trampled all over Keary and never maintain the standard he was capable of.

Which is why I believe a change was needed.

Whatever concerns there are over his ability to fit into Seibold's structures seem askew. I believe there is a misconception that Seibold ran with the same power game that made his predeccesor Michael Maguire succcessful which wasn't entirely the case. While having the Burgess brothers perform at the peak of their powers was one element, it was the emergence of Cameron Murray that also played a key role. Murray at 184cm 90kg was a mobile option capable of producing quick play the balls and second phase. While Gillett is bigger (186cm, 100kg) he is that similar style of player who has that ability to bounce out of tackles, get between defenders and offer second phase.

Furthermore, Seibold got tremendous usage out of his edge forwards in Crichton and Sutton. While I don't quite rate Glenn as highly as Sutton, I believe Fifita is the closest prospect the Broncos have to Crichton and could very well be the edge forward of his generation. While it's a long journey and I expect there to be some pitfalls along the way, Fifita is a genuine strike option on that edge and will prove Brisbane with more potency on that side of the field. With Su'A and potentially Pangai Jr as options, it gives the Broncos a bevy of options to throw at opposition defences.

While Seibold has basically stayed the course, this is the one diversion that seems to be his and I'm all for it.

Nikorima managed to miss plenty more tackles than Maloney did, somehow

For the life of me, I can't find the missed tackle stats for Maloney for last year, so I can't argue that point, other than to say, that might be the case if you look purely at the number of tackles.

Maloney:

TACKLES MADE: 278
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 62.2%

Niko:
TACKLES MADE: 421
TACKLE EFFICIENCY: 81.1%

Based on that, Niko would have missed more per games (he makes more), but less on average.

HOWEVER, my point stands, Niko is not in the top 50 for missed tackles or average missed tackles, ergo, he's not the worst.

PS. Maloney doesn't appear in the top 50 either.......I swear he was up there when I looked yesterday. Either I suck or he has done something so bad, the NRL is already wiping all records and denying all knowledge.

PPS. Maloney was definitely top 10 in points scored and also doesn't appear on the stats page.....he's gooonee.

At the risk of going off prematurely, Seibold's decision to move Gillett to lock forward could prove to be his first masterstroke at the club. Matt Gillett has a reputation as a supreme defender and while the stats aren't entirely accurate his 92 Missed Tackles (5th Worst in the NRL) demonstrate his reputation as the best edge defender was overrated. Sure, Gillett could come up with big defensive plays on the edge, but it wasn't an area he was consistent in or something the Broncos could rely on, especially coming off a fractured neck. Furthermore his work on the otherside of the ball was sorely lacking. It was frustrating to watch Gillett come up with performances like the Round 6 2017 game where he trampled all over Keary and never maintain the standard he was capable of.

Which is why I believe a change was needed.

Whatever concerns there are over his ability to fit into Seibold's structures seem askew. I believe there is a misconception that Seibold ran with the same power game that made his predeccesor Michael Maguire succcessful which wasn't entirely the case. While having the Burgess brothers perform at the peak of their powers was one element, it was the emergence of Cameron Murray that also played a key role. Murray at 184cm 90kg was a mobile option capable of producing quick play the balls and second phase. While Gillett is bigger (186cm, 100kg) he is that similar style of player who has that ability to bounce out of tackles, get between defenders and offer second phase.

Furthermore, Seibold got tremendous usage out of his edge forwards in Crichton and Sutton. While I don't quite rate Glenn as highly as Sutton, I believe Fifita is the closest prospect the Broncos have to Crichton and could very well be the edge forward of his generation. While it's a long journey and I expect there to be some pitfalls along the way, Fifita is a genuine strike option on that edge and will prove Brisbane with more potency on that side of the field. With Su'A and potentially Pangai Jr as options, it gives the Broncos a bevy of options to throw at opposition defences.

While Seibold has basically stayed the course, this is the one diversion that seems to be his and I'm all for it.

Not to rain on your parade, but Gillett seemed to indicate yesterday that it won't be a permanent move, and it's just as cover for TPJ.

Not to rain on your parade, but Gillett seemed to indicate yesterday that it won't be a permanent move, and it's just as cover for TPJ.

I recall bellamy doing this in 2006. Remember an article where friend was dipping balls in detergent and then passing out from dh at training.

I'm sure someone wouldve thought of it prior to that as well

Sorry if it's been covered, but is there a stream of the game this Saturday? Or is it being telecast at all?

Sorry if it's been covered, but is there a stream of the game this Saturday? Or is it being telecast at all?

No, I should have included details in the OP.

The match will be streamed on NRL.com (and both the Broncos and Titans website) at 6:30pm on Saturday.

@Unbreakable - I knew I included that preface for a reason. I still like this idea that Gillett's position in the team isn't set in stone and believe the Broncos can get more out of him than being a body-guard.

The Gold Coast have announced their team.

Gold Coast Titans: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Brenko Lee 3. Tyrone Peachey 4. Brian Kelly 5. Phillip Sami 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Nathan Peats 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow 14. Mitch Rein 15. Moeaki Fotuaika 16. Max King 17. Will Matthews 18. Jack Stockwell 19. Alexander Brimson 20. Anthony Don 21. Dale Copley 22. Treymain Spry 23. Ryley Jacks 24. Jesse Arthars

In bold are the selections I find interesting. One of the biggest headaches the Titans had coming in 2019 was figuring out the fullback selection and it appears that Michael Gordon has gotten first dibs. This feels like a regressive move, especially after the talent AJ showed towards the back-end of last year. Brimson was one of the most dangerous runners in the competition and was coming up with some huge defensive plays for his side.

Brenko Lee on the wing ahead of Don is also a surprise. I'm not overly surprised that Don has been overlooked since he doesn't fit the mould of a modern winger, but the Brenko experiment is one option that hadn't crossed my mind. I'm not sure if Lee has the pace or athleticism required for the role, but we'll see.

Peachey in the centres seems like the logical selection, but I recall him being more of a left-side player. I think it can work, but Brennan needs to find ways to bring him in-field for the signing to really pay off. I can't help but get the feeling that Peachey is a square in a round hole and Brennan just brought him in due to their pre-existing relationship at Penrith. I share similar sentiments towards Cartwright who is being given a chance on the right edge. From all reports that's where Ryan James will be stationed for the season proper, so this maybe Bryce's audition to see if he can still handle first grade.

Finally, Spry is one for all the fantasy coaches. If I remember correctly, he was the standout outside back of his age group who was with one of the Broncos affiliates, but somehow the Roosters got a play on him. Spry played Flegg last year and performed diligently scoring 11 tries but the Roosters seemed more interested in Kapaoa. I think Treymain is somebody for fantasy coaches to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
How is Michael Gordon still playing? He must be closing in on 40?

No, I should have included details in the OP.

The match will be streamed on NRL.com (and both the Broncos and Titans website) at 6:30pm on Saturday.

Sorry, I'm confused. No it won't be streamed, but it'll be streamed on the Broncos website??

Sorry, I'm confused. No it won't be streamed, but it'll be streamed on the Broncos website??

No, as in don't apologise, I should have included details in the OP.

YES, it will be streamed on NRL.com at 6:30pm on Saturday and also the Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans websites.

Last edited:
No, as in don't apologise, I should have included details in the OP.

YES, it will be streamed on NRL.com at 6:30pm on Saturday and also the Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Titans websites.
Cheers Pete. Can't wait to watch some footy again!

The Gold Coast have announced their team.

Gold Coast Titans: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Brenko Lee 3. Tyrone Peachey 4. Brian Kelly 5. Phillip Sami 6. Tyrone Roberts 7. Ash Taylor 8. Jarrod Wallace 9. Nathan Peats 10. Shannon Boyd 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Bryce Cartwright 13. Jai Arrow 14. Mitch Rein 15. Moeaki Fotuaika 16. Max King 17. Will Matthews 18. Jack Stockwell 19. Alexander Brimson 20. Anthony Don 21. Dale Copley 22. Treymain Spry 23. Ryley Jacks 24. Jesse Arthars

In bold are the selections I find interesting. One of the biggest headaches the Titans had coming in 2019 was figuring out the fullback selection and it appears that Michael Gordon has gotten first dibs. This feels like a regressive move, especially after the talent AJ showed towards the back-end of last year. Brimson was one of the most dangerous runners in the competition and was coming up with some huge defensive plays for his side.

Brenko Lee on the wing ahead of Don is also a surprise. I'm not overly surprised that Don has been overlooked since he doesn't fit the mould of a modern winger, but the Brenko experiment is one option that hadn't crossed my mind. I'm not sure if Lee has the pace or athleticism required for the role, but we'll see.

Peachey in the centres seems like the logical selection, but I recall him being more of a left-side player. I think it can work, but Brennan needs to find ways to bring him in-field for the signing to really pay off. I can't help but get the feeling that Peachey is a square in a round hole and Brennan just brought him in due to their pre-existing relationship at Penrith. I share similar sentiments towards Cartwright who is being given a chance on the right edge. From all reports that's where Ryan James will be stationed for the season proper, so this maybe Bryce's audition to see if he can still handle first grade.

Finally, Spry is one for all the fantasy coaches. If I remember correctly, he was the standout outside back of his age group who was with one of the Broncos affiliates, but somehow the Roosters got a play on him. Spry played Flegg last year and performed diligently scoring 11 tries but the Roosters seemed more interested in Kapaoa. I think Treymain is somebody for fantasy coaches to keep an eye on.
Is Brenko getting selected just because it is a trial??

Don may not be a stock standard winger nowadays but he's a hell of a finisher and can leap for the ball providing an easy end of set get out play.

I would've thought the brenko to wing experiment was well and truly over. Cannot remember a single game where I thought he was a genuine winger. Maybe they intend to rotate Kelly and Lee on that right side between attack and defense??

Kelly being somewhat capable in defense compared to the liability that is Brenko... and Brenko seemingly able to break the line with ease with ball in hand... although I'd suggest that Kelly is a reasonable attacking option as well. I'd still have Don on the wing unless there is a defensive reason that I'm overlooking

Absolutely shocked AJ is not the starting fullback. Surely he's not missing out on a starting position altogether... seems absolute craziness that you would remove the explosiveness of AJ to have an at best steady option back there. Could it be for goal kicking only?? I'm sure Gordon played wing earlier in his career and was reasonably capable there

There have been reports saying Brenko has dropped weight and was looking quicker.

Granted, it could be the standard pre-season waffle, but I guess this proves that there's at least some merit to it.

Also on Cartwright - you have to assume Ryan James takes that position when he's fit again. Unless they are going to bench Proctor, which would be surprising.

There have been reports saying Brenko has dropped weight and was looking quicker.

Granted, it could be the standard pre-season waffle, but I guess this proves that there's at least some merit to it.

Also on Cartwright - you have to assume Ryan James takes that position when he's fit again. Unless they are going to bench Proctor, which would be surprising.
Brenko played really well against the Cows. Looked super fit.

Leaving Brimson out of their 17 in favour of a well past it Gordon is a fireable offense if you ask me, if that's actually their team for round 1 Brennan should be immediately dismissed. Brimson was literally in their top 3 best players last season and showed Munster-esque potential at Fullback.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Cavalo
  • Reds2011
  • ezpz
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Robboi_321
  • maddo
  • LGH
  • simplythebest
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • bert_lifts
  • mrtij
  • Broncosarethebest
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.