POST GAME Trial #3 vs. Gold Coast Titans

It might make sense considering our riches in edge forwards, but I don't like Gillett at lock. Simply because we saw how fragile our defence is when he is not defending on that edge, allowing our halves to be targeted. Unless Fifita has worked like a motherfuck in the off-season and is up to the task of course, but Gillett is almost inarguably the best edge defender in the game.

It might make sense considering our riches in edge forwards, but I don't like Gillett at lock. Simply because we saw how fragile our defence is when he is not defending on that edge, allowing our halves to be targeted. Unless Fifita has worked like a motherfuck in the off-season and is up to the task of course, but Gillett is almost inarguably the best edge defender in the game.
I think Fifita is fine as an edge defender. He managed to cover for the worst defender in the comp for the back half of the year until that semi final.

He was an absolute monster defensively in that home Sharks game where we held them out for the entire second half.

2. If Gillett is playing in the middle technically he'd be 3rd on the depth chart, people forget that Su'A was playing better than Glenn last year when starting and playing 80. Give him a full season to get over that bad ankle injury, move Glenn on after this season, give Su'A the left edge starting job next season. We won't regret it. Su'A & Fifita on the edges has always been the long-term plan.
3. I think Gillett will be our 13 all year with TPJ on the bench, until he can prove he's capable of stringing 2 months of footy together without coming off for a calf or hamstring complaint, he isn't fit for a starting role.

I do forget this is actually Glenn's last year on his deal, so there is that. Su'A did have an ankle injury earlier too.

I hate Gillett at 13, especially at the expense of a dynamic ball runner like Pangai. Think his injury concerns are getting overplayed now. He spent all of last year shuffling around positions, he needs a consistent position (which should be 13).

Let's not forget that TPJ signed a 1 year deal to increase his market value, so us doing everything we can to get him in to the starting line-up and playing him as many minutes as possible to showcase his talent is only going to be a bad thing for our bank account.

Might even be a tactical move to keep him on the bench, play him in short bursts, for all of his strengths, he was still making some shocking defensive plays, game losing off-loads and giving away completely brainless penalties last season.

I like it, primarily because it's the only realistic scenario we could start Fifita on his preferred right edge, who if you haven't picked up on by now, is comfortably our best prospect.

Gillett and Broncos big guns return for Titans trial

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 26 Feb 2019, 10:17
Matt Gillett will make his much-awaited return from injury at lock for the Broncos as most of the club's big guns return to play their first game of the season in the trial against the Titans on Saturday night.
Gillett will play his first game since the round five clash with Newcastle last year after being given the green light to play following shoulder surgery and making a full recovery from a neck injury.
Brisbane captain Darius Boyd, in the best physical condition he can remember being in, will line up at fullback in the clash at CBUS Stadium.
Representative wingers Corey Oates and Jamayne Isaako will play their first games of the year, as will Kiwi half Kodi Nikorima.
Anthony Milford has been kept in cotton wool as he recovers from a hamstring injury suffered at training but the Broncos 2018 player of the year is expected to play in the round one Telstra Premiership clash with the Melbourne Storm.
Former Roosters half Sean O'Sullivan will wear the number six jersey after impressing in the trial win over Wynnum-Manly.
The trial will also feature Matt Lodge and Joe Ofahengaue for the first time in 2019 with the duo named to start in the front-row.

Maroons hooker Andrew McCullough gets his first hit-out in Broncos colours this year with his understudy Jake Turpin named on the bench.
All eyes will be on the return of veteran Test and Queensland forward Gillett who was sorely missed by the Broncos last year.
The neck injury that Gillett suffered included a fracture in the C5 vertebrae and two hairline fractures in his neck. The healing process was long but after being fully tested in contact sessions for weeks at Brisbane training he is now ready to resume his career.
The Broncos have rested Tongan international Tevita Pangai jnr who suffered a minor hamstring injury in the Wynnum trial. Pangai is also expected to be fit to play the Storm in a fortnight.

Source: NRL.com

Totally agree. The best edge forward defensively and a gun attacking with offloads would be a waste to have him at lock. Especially with the tries leaked on his side when he was absent. I think its just a temp fix until TPJ is back. I would have him and Glenn still on edges, and Fifita on bench. I reckon he has more of a supersub impact off bench than Glenn.
If TPJ is out longer than expected and cant start lock, i would prefer a ball playing lock who can offload like CP13 and not a one dimensional player like Moose. Gives us more options in attack.

Flegler and Fensom ahead of Carrigan, worth reading anything into that?

IF TPJ does come back into the 13 jersey, do we think Glenn still starts or will it be Fifita and Gillett in the second row? Purely for Supercoach considerations.

I have Fifita in SC atm. Surely he starts, he’s the brightest talent in the comp and has SBW type potential if not better.

Totally agree. The best edge forward defensively and a gun attacking with offloads would be a waste to have him at lock. Especially with the tries leaked on his side when he was absent. I think its just a temp fix until TPJ is back. I would have him and Glenn still on edges, and Fifita on bench. I reckon he has more of a supersub impact off bench than Glenn.
If TPJ is out longer than expected and cant start lock, i would prefer a ball playing lock who can offload like CP13 and not a one dimensional player like Moose. Gives us more options in attack.

Fifita also has a better 80 minute impact than Glenn. If Glenn can’t work off the bench then we have plenty of other options (Flegler, Carrigan, Fensom, Mago, Taga, etc) to choose from.

Last edited:
I think Fifita is fine as an edge defender. He managed to cover for the worst defender in the comp for the back half of the year until that semi final.

He was an absolute monster defensively in that home Sharks game where we held them out for the entire second half.

Funny, I never spotted Maloney playing for us last season, he must have really gone missing.

Flegler and Fensom ahead of Carrigan, worth reading anything into that?
Flegler played better in the trial and Fensom is probably ahead of Tagatese so was given a veteran spot or something

Gillett has played a number of games for the full 80 minutes too, so if his fitness is still there he'll make a great lock. I see it was not just me that @Huge's Tagetese has failed to impress. The ones that count seem to agree with observations of his last outing as he can't even make it into the final 22. Hope he continues to rip in when playing ISC, we may need him later on in the year.
You may be right. Then again...

I have Fifita in SC atm. Surely he starts, he’s the brightest talent in the comp and has SBW type potential if not better.

If Gillett is moved to lock, Fifita will likely be starting. However, if he isn't then it's very unlikely Fifita starts. Glenn appears to be ahead of everyone in the pecking order when it comes to that left edge spot and from what I've seen of Fifita, he's a right edge backrower.

Still a trial. Anyway the back three can cover each other.

I'm kinda still hoping this is just a temp thing to get some simple tackles and runs into Gillett without worrying about much lateral movement for now.

Flegler played better in the trial and Fensom is probably ahead of Tagatese so was given a veteran spot or something

Even with my Carrigan tinted specs I don't think Flegler was as good as Patty. The thing I do think Flegler offers over Pat is he tends to be more impactful when he comes on but isn't really effective playing big minutes which may suit a bench role better right now.

If Fensom makes our top 17 for round 1 I think something has gone terribly wrong.

If Fensom makes our top 17 for round 1 I think something has gone terribly wrong.
What, like TPJ picking up an injury or Haas being suspended or Gillo just coming back from a broken neck and shoulder reconstruction or Su'a easing back into footy after a broken ankle or Mcguire leaving for the Cowboys, Sims off to the dragqueens or Sammy retiring or perhaps some other concerns the coaching staff might have and not wish the opposition to know about?

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Cavalo
  • Reds2011
  • ezpz
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Robboi_321
  • maddo
  • LGH
  • simplythebest
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • bert_lifts
  • mrtij
  • Broncosarethebest
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.