Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Watching the trial again and shoutout to Richie Kennar. Loved that support he provided Isaako and Niko. He's about 10 kilos overweight but he still has some decent pace despite that.

Also how good is it not having a plodder Sims brother lumbering around ruining the fingernails

Last edited:
The most concerning thing for the Brisbane Broncos coming out of that game is how much it resembled their 2018 efforts. When everything was going their way and they got possession they looked as strong as any team, but when they were forced into uncomfortable positions, they didn't know who or where to turn to. Fortunately Michael Gordon must have felt sorry for them when he made his error because there was no way known the Broncos were going to get back into that game.

Even so when Alex Glenn scored (the first time...I'm not used to him scoring in multiples), their inexperienced show. One of their worst plays of the night was off the restart set where they failed to get to their kick. For a player who is going to rely heavily on being a 'game manager' I hope he learned a valuable lesson for his sake. Otherwise, the moment he gives Matt Lodge the football on the last and expects him to kick it will be the very moment his career at the Brisbane Broncos ends. Maybe he should save that play for the family gatherings?

The defence was attrocious and for all this talk about attitude, if they can't lock up the football, or if they can't initiate good initial contact and 'catch' the runner they're going to have a bad time. The Gold Coast was having a field day running through the Broncos middle third and as soon as they started asking questions of our edges, both Isaako and Oates were found wanting. Thankfully, Phillip Sami must have been a Broncos supporter because he let the game slip through his fingers.

Now don't get me wrong, there's worse things than being the 2018 Brisbane Broncos. For instance, you could be the 2018 Gold Coast Titans. However, we're heading into a year where the premiership is there for the taking and based on this sneak peek the Broncos have a lot of work infront of them if they want to contest for the title. I've always had the feeling that it would be too much work for one season and it may take until 2020 for the Broncos to find the right combinations but the performance last night re-emphasised that point.

On the bright side for the Brisbane Broncos, they may have added another Test player to their long list of Internationals. If the selectors are willing to pick the best seventeen players, I can't see how Matt Lodge misses out on a jersey. Not only was Lodge the best forward on the park, he was head and shoulders the best player and has everything you would want in a modern prop forward. I could only imagine how many tries he would have scored if he had the luxury of running at 'Atay'.

That in conjunction with the improved ball movement in the second half were the real positives I take out of the performance.

...and 3 Staggs (Bird out)
If Seibold is persisting with mediocrity, these young guns will sign with rival clubs in 2020, mid 2019 if the price is right.
Another frustrating 2019 campaign on the horizon, while the drought continues.

Bird hasn't even played for us properly yet. I am not judging him based on last year

There's been a lot of talk about Staggs replacing Bird, but I don't think he's been any worse than Roberts so far.

Why does Boyd have to stay up in the front line so much? We were getting caught out because of it.

He's out of position. His best position is in the stands.

Can we at least have 1 round of the actual season before we start with the doom and gloom?

It was all doom and gloom once Bennett left remember?

Why does Boyd have to stay up in the front line so much? We were getting caught out because of it.

actually watch other fullbacks ... most of them do it these days when defending the try line, as it gives them the extra player in the defensive line...

do you honestly think he would still be using that tactic if his coaches (both Bennett and Seibold) didn't want him to

actually watch other fullbacks ... most of them do it these days when defending the try line, as it gives them the extra player in the defensive line...

do you honestly think he would still be using that tactic if his coaches (both Bennett and Seibold) didn't want him to
Defending the try line yes... Boyd being in the defensive line 20m out makes zero sense and continually gets exploited.

I agree that most teams do it now, but surely they're only doing it inside their own 5-10m... or their fullback must be dropping back in behind the line as soon as the pass leaves the ruck, because I can't recall any other teams conceding as many tries as we do.

It has to change because it was like 2018 all over again.

We conceed so many because Boyd is so slow to react to the kicks behind the line. A fullback needs to have quick acceleration, certainly worked well for Billy Slater

Or 5 rounds..
Give it time FFS
Completely agree, and I actually think it will take 2 years for a fair assessment of seibold. Bennett will actually have a better 2019 then us I think. Our team is young and is going to be inconsistent no matter what is implemented. They will only learn on the field. It's exciting and mediocrity shouldnt be accepted but it won't be fast I don't think. And I can't wait for the fans of Bennett to start going on about how it was a big mistake after 3 or 4 rounds. Patience is going to be needed I think but I truly belive we will win a premiership in the next 3 years, and 2 in the next 5

Last edited:
What happens if we miss the eight? Will any criticism of Seibold be allowed without the writer being labelled a WB fanboy? How much failure can we bear before an allowable condemning post can be made without strident defence of the new blood coach being the response? Truth is, if Seibold fails his record can fairly be contrasted with the previous coach and that would be true of and true for any coach in a similar situation. If he fails I will absolutely say, what a fucked decision it was to dump our coach but by the same token if he is a great success I will laud the wisdom and foresight of the decision makers.

If he merely matches the previous coaches record I will think it a pointless exercise to have removed him and will need to be convinced there was still some advantage under that scenario.

Seibold has only one option or rather key performance indicator, that is he MUST be better and he MUST achieve a higher threshold. We didn't hire him to achieve a lower standard. Better results only permissible. Otherwise, what was the point?

Last edited:
What happens if we miss the eight? Will any criticism of Seibold be allowed without the writer being labelled a WB fanboy? How much failure can we bear before an allowable condemning post can be made without strident defence of the new blood coach being the response? Truth is, if Seibold fails his record can fairly be contrasted with the previous coach and that would be true of and true for any coach in a similar situation. If he fails I will absolutely say, what a fucked decision it was to dump our coach but by the same token if he is a great success I will laud the wisdom and foresight of the decision makers.

If he merely matches the previous coaches record I will think it a pointless exercise to have removed him and will need to be convinced there was still some advantage under that scenario.

Seibold has only one option or rather key performance indicator, that is he MUST be better and he MUST achieve a higher threshold. We didn't hire him to achieve a lower standard. Better results only permissible. Otherwise, what was the point?
Thought he was basically hired because they thought he could achieve at least the same standard for a longer period.

If he matches his performance then it'd surely be a worthy exercise. Remember the broncos are a business, and positive media exposure is also a good thing for the club financially through sponsorship and attracting new fans. If seibold matches his performance but with added positive media exposure then surely it'd be good for business. And anyway, we were going backwards under Bennett since 2015, so is that any better then starting off slower then improving every year? I don't expect mediocrity, but that doesn't mean I expect a premiership after the first year. Also, if we waited for when Bennett wanted to retire and didn't carry out this "pointless" exercise then we would be absolutely screwed in 3 years time with no premiership to our name anyway. Bennett is the greatest coach of all time, but that doesn't mean he is the best coach for us at this time. Most people can see that, but once again, I doubt your wrong and anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot for not seeing the truth

Anyone else think they all have rats tail hair cuts due to the tag on the back of the jersey or is it just me.

Last edited:

Active Now

• theshed
  • Brocko
  • BroncosMan
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • thenry
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.