Trial Match #1 vs Cowboys Post Match discussion

[MENTION=8282]symbolsoup[/MENTION] top job with the banner, champ! Much appreciated.

I know it's only a trial and nothing to gauge a season from, but gee our defence was shithouse. We were horrible up the middle at all stages of the game. They just steam rolled us in attack and absolutely dominated the ruck. Robert lui and taumololo were huge for the cows.

Halves

If I were to pick someone for round 1 at 6 judging from that performance alone, I would pick kahu (barring injury). Kahu looked more dangerous with ball in hand and has definitely been working on his speed, he looked fast IMO. Strasser was a bit quiet but didn't play bad. Hope he steps up a bit more next trial. Don't understand the hype behind kodi from this match, was an absolute ball hog trying to side step the entire cowboys side every touch of the ball and didn't showcase any sign of a passing game IMO. One thing that stood out was our poor 5th tackle execution, no one could kick out there. There were 3 40/20's from redcliffe in 1 half of footy during the colts match. Just something I thought I'd point out

Hookers

I thought Granville played pretty well in both attack and defense during his stints, noticeabley in the second half for mine. Once we were trailing he started trying a little more and he starting to control our attack with great service and good scoots. Cullen was OK in attack but terrible in defence. Fell off most tackles and stood out amongst a shocking display of defence from most of the side. Won't crack first grade this year.

Forwards

Martin Kennedy was definitely a stand out. Bent the line with every hit up and was solid in defence. Very aggressive. Hala did **** all, big teddy bear. I rate molo over hala to be honest. Definitely tried harder and IMO had a great game. Lowrie played pretty well and is definitely pushing for a spot in the 17. Ofahengaue was another stand out, very solid. Will debut at during origin IMO. That big French muppet was garbage, expected more from someone so huge. Was cringing at broncos supporters getting him to sign their shit.

Backs

Vidot looked dangerous with most touches, got in and helped the forwards out a lot and has a great mix of size and speed. IMO will be in our starting side come round 1. Mills was also great, exceeded my expectations for sure. Copley was another standout in our back line, looked comfortable at centre. Good to see him get through injury free. Alick, Drew, etc didn't get enough game time for me to comment on. Finally, my beloved jharal. Seeing this bloke take the field was inspirational and even better that he made it through without injury. Will need to see more of him before I comment on him resurrecting his NRL career. I was hoping to see him charging onto balls and see him taking on his opposite at the line but it just didn't happen. We didn't seem to execute any back line movements out his side bar one where he was cut out and vidot scored in the corner. Really wanted to see him charging onto the ball more and utilising his new frame. Hope he gets another run.

That's my take on the trial. IMO I was disappointed with the performance as a whole, especially with our defence up the middle but in reality it was our second tier side. Only a handful of players would be in our strongest 17 so I'm not worried. Hats off to the BHQ boys involved in the sign, it really looked great and it shitted me off that people sat in front of it during the game lol Hope JYY got a glimpse of it because it was a nice gesture. I tried to attack him at full time but he was very quick to get up that tunnel, got a photo with hoffy so that kinda made up for it.

Just wanted to thank everybody for sharing their thoughts and opinions on the game. Really allows us who couldn't make it out to Dolphin Oval to form our own impressions on how the team is going.

Onto the Titans trial and the Auckland 9s!

When is the Titans trial and where is it??

im guessing 9's will be announced tomorrow or tuesday.

i might head out to the wynnum trial. depends on if the 9's is interesting i guess

Cultofpersonality3; Yow Yeh doesn't have a limp. Might move to second row though as he seems to have lost speed. [/QUOTE said:
JYY most certainly has a very obvious limp . What a massive effort by him to get back to the level he has but sadly he has no future in NRL

I bagged Lowrie's signing but considering it sounds like Stagg should've retired then we will need him.

Last edited:
I bagged Lowrie's signing but considering it sounds like Stagg should've retired then we will need him.

Meanwhile Stagg extended his contract.

Lowrie and Stagg will be very handy during the Origin period but at full strength they aren't needed. Will be interesting to see what happens with them.

on last nights efforts i wouldnt be surprised if lowrie got a spot on the bench, but thatd mean two backrowers on the bench.. which would be a terrible idea.

im not really sure who will nab the fourth prop spot to be honest. cant see it being hala after last night. whats dodds' situation at the moment?

2 things I disagree with what a majority of the board thinks

1. We need to hang firm on Copley. Only 22 and has some first grade experience. Has the body type to be a dominant first grade centre something like a prime Timana Tahu. He doesn't have a good rep around the league so we should be able to keep him on the cheap and keep working on him.

2. The signings of Vidot, Mills and Lowrie were very astute underrated signings. Lowrie is what he is but I would have no problem with him being on the bench instead of a reserve hooker (the weird obsession with this position continues...). Having him play the Parker role during Origin affected rounds is also an advantage where we have been getting pumped the last few years. Vidot is a bonehead but he really can kickstart our sets with the 2nd hitup, can play centre, wing or backrower and adds a physical presence. Mills is a very talented guy but always gets injured. He had one of the better debuts that has always stuck in mind. And as much as I love Jack Reed, the notion that he is a no brainer starter is now over.

any news on kahu? would of thought if it was acl then that info would of been out by now. im thinking no news is good news?

2 things I disagree with what a majority of the board thinks

1. We need to hang firm on Copley. Only 22 and has some first grade experience. Has the body type to be a dominant first grade centre something like a prime Timana Tahu. He doesn't have a good rep around the league so we should be able to keep him on the cheap and keep working on him.

2. The signings of Vidot, Mills and Lowrie were very astute underrated signings. Lowrie is what he is but I would have no problem with him being on the bench instead of a reserve hooker (the weird obsession with this position continues...). Having him play the Parker role during Origin affected rounds is also an advantage where we have been getting pumped the last few years. Vidot is a bonehead but he really can kickstart our sets with the 2nd hitup, can play centre, wing or backrower and adds a physical presence. Mills is a very talented guy but always gets injured. He had one of the better debuts that has always stuck in mind. And as much as I love Jack Reed, the notion that he is a no brainer starter is now over.

I don't think you disagreed with anything anyone has said at all.

I wonder what Ashton Sims was doing in the off-season. He looked out of breath and tired midway through the first half. He was sucking in the big ones. Maybe I read it wrong, but he didn't look that fit.

I bumped into Thaiday when he was heading towards the leagues club, and I must say he looks like he is in better shape. He looks much fitter than previous seasons.

any news on kahu? would of thought if it was acl then that info would of been out by now. im thinking no news is good news?

They're waiting on the scans, but they're a bit optimistic that he hasn't done the ACL. He got some strength back in the knee after a while and showed signs it's not as bad people first thought. Although, there is still that chance. My guess is we'll find out more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the sign up symbolsoup ( and thanks Morkel, the sign looked awesome) I would have come over to say hello but I couldn't be stuffed pushing my through any more people. I was diagonally opposite you guys and as you know the crowd was insane. I bolted about 5 mins from the end to beat the traffic and I'd seen enough by then.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.