Trial Match #1 vs Cowboys Post Match discussion

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
32-8 is the final score in favor of the Cowboys.

Kahu and Copley taking knocks, hopefully not too serious.

So did any player actually impress at all?

Jordan kahu suspected ACL injury. Would be his third. Terrible news

I'll give a full review of my take on the game tomorrow morning. I'm headed to the valley. BEEEER

I don't know who the 14 was at hooker but he impressed in attack. Looks too small though. JYY sadly IMO is kidding himself, just a great waste.
Granville looked a fair bit bigger and played better in his second half.

Marker D and goal line D was poor

[h=1]Match Report: Cowboys Too Strong[/h] Matty Holdsworth

Saturday 8 February 2014 9:30 PM

The Cowboys proved too strong over the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos with a 32-8 win in tonight’s trial at Dolphin Oval.

Down 16-4 at the halftime and after a slow start the Cowboys were the first to score under the posts, with Patrick Kaufusi crossing in the 55th minute to gain an 18 point lead.

The Broncos hit back immediately with Jayden Nikorima ducking over from dummy half to score in the corner. Kahu again missed the conversion and the Broncos trailed 22-8.

A mistake under the high ball allowed for Zac Santo to score for the Cowboys in the 68th minute to see the visitors lead 28-8.

Tariq Sims scored again for the Cowboys after a neat grubber from hooker Anthony Mitchell in the 77th minute.

A head clash resulted in an early night for centre Dale Copley but overall it was a positive night on the injury front for the Broncos.

Earlier, Jharal Yow Yeh made his much anticipated return to Rugby League and he displayed a quality game in the centres.

His return was a celebration for the whole Rugby League community after two extremely tough years on the sideline.
With 13 fresh faces on display tonight the Broncos found the game tough against a quality Cowboys side.

Daniel Vidot was the first player to score, crossing in the corner with his second touch of the ball ever for the
Broncos for after a nicely timed pass from fullback Jordan Kahu.

Kahu however missed the sideline conversion.

Kahu made up for the miss with a fantastic try saving one on one tackle after a Cowboys line break, but was unlucky to be penalised for a shoulder charge.

Back to back penalties allowed for easy field position and Jason Taumalolo crossed for the visitors after running onto a short ball from Robert Lui in the 17th minute.

Penalties again resulted in points for the Cowboys with Tariq Sims crashing over in the 26th minute to hand the visitors a 10-4 lead.

Jarrod Wallace was unfortunate not to score after he was disallowed for a double-movement.

Sharp footwork by Cameron King had the visitors score on the stroke of halftime followed with an easy conversion for Kyle Feldt.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 32 (T Sims 2, Taumalolo, King, Santo, Kaufusi; Feldt 4/6) def BRISBANE BRONCOS 8 (Vidot, Nikorima; Kahu 0/2) at Dolphin Oval.

Match Report: Cowboys Too Strong - Brisbane Broncos

Why does it say a good night on the injury front if Kahu did an ACL?..

Bit surprised to lose by 32-8 I thought we were better man to man on paper so it comes as a bit of a surprise. At least it's only a trial and we can work our way up from it.

Scans tomorrow on JK, but Chris Garry is reporting that the injury doesn't appear to be as serious as first feared. Originally, they thought he ruptured his ACL.

Didn't watch the game, but judging by the other thread it seems like some of the bright lights tonight were..

Kahu, Strasser, Nikorima (Both?)

And it sounds like Jharal struggled to do anything.. which is a damn shame.

Yow Yeh was taken off the field not long after the second half started. I don't know if there was anything wrong, it looks like they were taking precautions. It was for the best imo.

He just wasn't up to scratch. I know he has been out for a couple of years, but he had a slight limp all night, he wasn't that confident in attack and didn't really take on the defense as much as he usually does and was a bit of a liability. He was found out several times in defense. He did some good things, but overall it was average.

I honestly believe they brought him back too early.

Last edited:
Yow Yeh was taken off the field not long after the second half started. I don't know if there was anything wrong, it looks like they were taking precautions. It was for the best imo.

He just wasn't up to scratch. I know he has been out for a couple of years, but he had a slight limp all night, he wasn't that confident in attack and didn't really take on the defense as much as he usually does and was a bit of a liability. He was found out several times in defense. He did some good things, but overall it was average.

I honestly believe they brought him back too early.

If 2 years is too early then he'll never be fit enough for first grade.

I thought Granville had an alright game. He provided some much needed spark out of dummy half and got the Cowboys on the back foot several times with his runs out of dummy half. Unfortunately, there just wasn't much going on with the halves and I think his game suffered because of it. He really tried, but just couldn't do much.

The halves were predictable. The Cowboys knew what they were going to do just about every time and just completely took them out of the game. The long cut out balls also weren't very effective. Maybe people with a better view might have a different opinion, but from where I was sitting they were average. Their passing, kicking game and decision making could definitely use some work.

I thought Granville had an alright game. He provided some much needed spark out of dummy half and got the Cowboys on the back foot several times with his runs out of dummy half. Unfortunately, there just wasn't much going on with the halves and I think his game suffered because of it. He really tried, but just couldn't do much.

The halves were predictable. The Cowboys knew what they were going to do just about every time and just completely took them out of the game. The long cut out balls also weren't very effective. Maybe people with a better view might have a different opinion, but from where I was sitting they were average. Their passing, kicking game and decision making could definitely use some work.

Plenty of time until the season starts.

I mean 2015 that is.

In your view which of the halves looked the best?

Re: Trial #1 - Broncos vs Cowboys

I don't give trials any value any at all in determining season form, just a way to chop and change and test players. No good that we lost but I'm more interested to hear how individual players went.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.