Trial - Warriors vs Broncos - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheer up lads.

Your lot beat up on a fair few of ours....Johnson lost....Ropati , Fisiahi , Godinet .....all under an Injury cloud because of how physical the Broncos played.

Even as a trial match it lived up to the emotion of some of the past contests.

I'm thrilled Dunedin ( as Vossy pointed out ) in the deep South Rugby league hating territory had your club play and show those banjo playing sheep Gazers what our game is all about.

The Crowd was Quiet at first....then pumping as the Trial wore on.

Cliche time " Rugby League was the winner on the night "

All I saw was boring predictable Griffin ball. We will never win a premiership playing that way unless we buy Smith, Slater and Cronk.
We will win our fair share no doubt but we are in for a boring season.

this is the least excited I've been about a Broncos' season ... can't see why much will change from last year.

Hope I'm proven wrong.

Cheer up lads.

Your lot beat up on a fair few of ours....Johnson lost....Ropati , Fisiahi , Godinet .....all under an Injury cloud because of how physical the Broncos played.

Even as a trial match it lived up to the emotion of some of the past contests.

I'm thrilled Dunedin ( as Vossy pointed out ) in the deep South Rugby league hating territory had your club play and show those banjo playing sheep Gazers what our game is all about.

The Crowd was Quiet at first....then pumping as the Trial wore on.

Cliche time " Rugby League was the winner on the night "

that stadium looked awesome!

Should I mention 2006 trials again? We were a lot worse than today

In 2006 we won 2 of 3 trials.

Brisbane def. Canberra 28–20
Brisbane def. Nth Qld 36–4
Melbourne def. Brisbane 58–10

I am not being pedantic. :tongue_smilie:

Hodges is the fucking man.

Hunt looked awesome while Norman was terrible. Prince was solid and Wallace didn't do much. Hunt & Prince for halves please, wallace as the role hunt played the last 2 seasons.

Can't argue with that ...watching tonight, they were the pick of the four halves, but I'm not sure about either of them at 5/8. They're both halves for mine and I'm not sure I want the opposition aiming too much of their attack towards them. I don't reckon eithers defence is up to it.

McCullough was disappointing for me.
Hodges form looks outstanding.

Overall our attack was as impotent as ever. Scott Prince has to be in the run on side R1, he by far is the closest thing we've seen in the maroon and gold to a scheming organising half since Alfie. The sooner he starts to from relationships with the spine, particularly Norman and Hunt ....the better.

Norman did make a few blunders at the end ......I'm still not prepared to right him off. I just can't help the feeling that he will add more to what Prince wants/needs to attack with over the course of the season than what Wallace will.

Hunt adds spark when he replaces McC ......I can't see Wallace be able to do that.

As much as it pains me to say it....I can't find room in the side for poor ole Pete at this stage. :sleep:

Didn't think Berryman offered much. Was excited by watching Kahu. I like the way he moves ('cept for his blunder at the back half of the game). I hope he finds fitness and confidence fast!

Maranta & Jack Reed ....either or, but not both

Maybe something like this by the time we hit R6?

1. Hoffman
2. Reed
3. Kahu
4. Hodges
5. Kemp
6. Norman
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Gillett
16. Stagg
17. Dodds or Anderson

It's all emphasis on attack....there's some points to be had in that backline.

That said, I think for R1 Griffin will name a side pretty much identical to what the side was last year, with the only change maybe being to slot Prince in & Kemp on one wing.

In 2006 we won 2 of 3 trials.

Brisbane def. Canberra 28–20
Brisbane def. Nth Qld 36–4
Melbourne def. Brisbane 58–10

I am not being pedantic. :tongue_smilie:

I hope your not refering to round 1 where we got beaten by the Cowboys 36-4

No.

Unless the game was held in Rockhampton, which it wasn't.

Fair enough mate, though thats quite a turnaround for trials to be a real indicator for a side to be where they are at for the rest of the season to go from beating a side 36-4 to losing that same side round 1 by the same scoreline, but I guess trials are certainities for whats going to happen for the real competition right?

Last edited:
That "slightly different roster and coaching staff"(which wasn't a comparison in the side of their roster, coaching staff or capabilities, rather that it can still happen to any side and you shouldn't dismiss a season outright just because you don't like the trial results) still put out a 58-10 thrashing at the hands of the Storm, the last trial before the season and the same side we later beat in the grand final, people on this forum were very concerned about that season, I wonder how they felt afterwards?

Struggling to find how I've written off the season. I honestly don't think we are premiership material but we will win our fair share and be a shot at the finals if we can find a way not to fade after Origin.
We can still have a good season but if we stick to this style of play it will be batshit boring to watch, hopefully Prince is given a free reign and someone else goes to fullback.

Norman did make a few blunders at the end ......I'm still not prepared to right him off. I just can't help the feeling that he will add more to what Prince wants/needs to attack with over the course of the season than what Wallace

He was awful. He's had his chance. I'd rather have Leon Bott at 6 than Norman.

Struggling to find how I've written off the season. I honestly don't think we are premiership material but we will win our fair share and be a shot at the finals if we can find a way not to fade after Origin.
We can still have a good season but if we stick to this style of play it will be bat**** boring to watch, hopefully Prince is given a free reign and someone else goes to fullback.

Actually Dexter that wasn't in reference to you specifically, and I don't think we are premiership material either, doesn't mean we can't have a good season though and we could very well struggle and I'm not writing that off either. I just don't believe that trials determine how a season will pan out, they can be very deceptive where a side really is.

Oh absolutely, I was disappointed though with tonight. I thought it was obvious after last year we need some flair in attack but it's clear we will be playing the percentages all the time. I'm a big believer in having a crack if something is on but we rarely even look.

we looked good with prince i thought. he immediately gives the defense something to think about and his passing game is quality. he is the #7 and there is paddocks between him and who will partner him.

we looked same, same old, same old when he wasnt involved. wallace and norman are one and the same. i still think norman offers more when partnered with prince. for all the norman haters, what does wallace offer? he's got nothing.

we picked up the pace and got a roll on when hunt came on and into dummy half.

macca, to me, is rubbish. he's too slow. he offers nothing.

still worried about hoffman and his ability to be useful in attack.

did mcguire even have a rest? i didnt see him go off at all.

we really missed copley getting out of our own end. hoffman and the outside backs just kept getting smashed backwards early in the tackle count.

we will be competitive simply because our forwards and our defense will keep us in the game. i am keeping the faith in prince and once he gets in a proper rhythm again we will put on points.

also impressed with princes defense. they tested him out a fair few times and he defended solidly each time.

maranta was pretty crap imo.

gillett looked very good. im excited by what i saw of him and hope he has a big year.

Last edited:
Prince was impressive. He actually looked like he was offering something different to all the other ball players in the side. Hopefully Griffin doesn't chisel it out of him. Hodges and Gillett were both good in attack. Not impressed with anyone else really though.

Thought it was pretty much same old stuff from the boys tonight. Forwards lay the platform, Broncos have the better of play but just can't finish it off thanks to poor desicion making. Was really impressed by Hodgo he was our best back by a mile, he will be a handful for any team this year. The forwards laid the platform and dominated the Warriors in the 1st half but they tired out in the last quarter of the game.

My team for 2013

1: Norman
2: Kemp
3: Reed
4: Hodges
5: Maranta
6: Wallace
7: Prince
8: Hannet
9: McCullogh
10: McGuire
11: Glenn
12: Thiaday
13: Parker

14: Hunt
15: Gillete
16: Stag
17: Hoffman

I like that starting 13 (outside of the spelling), but that bench is just incredibly light. There's no need for both Hunt and Hoffman on the bench, that's a Henjak like move.

Predictable and boring! Watching that performance last night you could be forgiven for thinking it was rd26 2012, absolutely no noticeable improvement, slow line, can't control the ruck tempo, poor kicking game, can't score points.

hodges brilliant, gillett, parker & McGuire looked good, prince promising.

Thaiday's defense is rubbish, he looks lazy.

Maranta looked like a rookie, should have scored earlier but blew it not knowing where his feet were.

Hoffman showed again he isn't capable of sweep plays (when he actually gets there in time) and when given the option of passing opts to predictably take the line on.

Neither Wallace nor norman should be in the halves, at least hunt has energy and vision, even if his execution is questionable at times. Really disappointing he wasn't given a run in the halves.

Kahu was understandably rusty - neither spectacular or terrible, once match fit should be in the backline somewhere. Berryman needs to put more weight on, hes a bit light for first grade atm.

Last edited:
we looked good with prince i thought. he immediately gives the defense something to think about and his passing game is quality. he is the #7 and there is paddocks between him and who will partner him.

we looked same, same old, same old when he wasnt involved. wallace and norman are one and the same. i still think norman offers more when partnered with prince. for all the norman haters, what does wallace offer?he's got nothing.
Pretty much everything norman offers but with way more heart.

For me Hodges, Prince and Mcguire were the standouts with Gillett and Parker also putting in impressive performances. Our defence is still ridiculously soft and it seems like we're unable of building any pressure on the back of a good kick. The team for Round 1 for me should be:
1. Hoffman
2. Berryman
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Kemp
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. Mcguire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Stagg
16. Gillett
17. Dodds (not too sure about this but i like that he adds some much needed sting in defence)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • cento
  • ell.d33
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Wild Horse
  • Dash
  • Behold
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • BooKhaki
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • achievedrap
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.