Tries, Lies & Meat Pies - The Sam Thaiday Story

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
36893880_1036086019884542_6837003720895496192_o.jpg

Sam Thaiday is one of rugby league's most highly regarded and respected players. Often seen as one of the last true larrikins of the game, Sam has entertained Brisbane Broncos, Queensland State of Origin and Australian fans over his fifteen-year career.

But behind that playful facade and infectious grin is a deeply caring and thoughtful individual, a family man who is passionate about working for better outcomes for Australian Indigenous communities. Sam's book reveals his family connections to the Torres Strait, how it was his mum who taught him how to pass, tackle and how to throw a punch (just in case it ever came up), how he married his high-school sweetheart, and his wishes for his daughters' futures.

He will also tell how this Townsville boy and die-hard Cowboys fan ended up a Broncos star. A one-club player, a rarity in the game today, he relives the high points of his career, including his 2008 Dally M Award and the 2006 premiership, his many representative caps, lining up for the National Rugby League Indigenous All Stars team and being one of only three current players to be named in the Indigenous Australian rugby league team of the century. He tells some of the wild stories from behind the scenes of the club and representative training camps, with a cast of characters all NRL fans will recognise.

This is Sam's unique story, told with his trademark humour, humility and honesty.

Last edited:
probably an entertaining book ...

I wonder if he addresses "the incident"?

So both Thaiday and Hodges were Cowboys fans weren't they? I'm pretty sure they are out and out Broncos fans for life now though.

So both Thaiday and Hodges were Cowboys fans weren't they? I'm pretty sure they are out and out Broncos fans for life now though.
Makes sense. Both from nq.

Pretty sure his mum still goes to all cowboys games in Townsville to boo the cowboys for not picking up her son

Glad to see his head has been 100 percent in it for the Broncos. Radio, writing books... Bye Sam.

We aren't discussing the others though.

It’s a shitty attitude though.

Sims should give up his aprenticeship, players shouldn’t study. Shouldn’t do anything for their lives after footy while at the broncs.

Sams done a lot for us, bit rough to just tell him to jog on for doing something for his family and future, which many others have done before.

I reality, this probably took 10-20 hours of Thaiday’s time. He would have been given time to think about his most important moments, lessons learned, and funny times. Then later he would have been asked to articulate them, and it would have been taken down on a voice recorder. Then a team would have written it, cleaned it up, edited it, and then Sam would have been asked to give it a final read to make sure it’s accurate.

I reality, this probably took 10-20 hours of Thaiday’s time. He would have been given time to think about his most important moments, lessons learned, and funny times. Then later he would have been asked to articulate them, and it would have been taken down on a voice recorder. Then a team would have written it, cleaned it up, edited it, and then Sam would have been asked to give it a final read to make sure it’s accurate.

Again, pretty much a standard rugby league biography.

Glad to see his head has been 100 percent in it for the Broncos. Radio, writing books... Bye Sam.

You could be on to something... right lets stop all players from doing anything not rugby league to test this out. No more uni degrees, no more studying anything, no more media jobs or appearances, lets stop all that for all, or is this just a dig at Sammy?

Because people who work full time don’t do study on the side, play a sport, work a second job or anything. Come on.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Financeguy
  • Browny
  • Evander
  • Big Del
  • davidp
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Astro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.