Uhhh... what?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Must be the guys that shot at him that were voting for this surely.. The bloke had 8 good games now he needs to back it up for 5 + seasons IMO.

J

Jip

NYC Player
Jul 14, 2008
Come on, it's the Daily Telegraph. It's the paper version of quality journalism like Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

I wouldn't expect anything less.

Of course Hayne is there. Kids don't focus on the long term. Everything is now now now. The last memory they have of NRL is Jarrod Hayne being portrayed as a Demi-God by the NSW media, because the bloke had a good half season... reputed to have done anyway, I was on deployment and missed the whole bloody season lol.

Hopefully he'll fade into mediocrity again this season - and if the all stars game was anything to go by, he will - and then the kids can focus their attention on some players that deserve some real accolades and show real, CONSISTENT talent.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Most popular right now I can accept that he would probably be that. But most influential????? That's crazy talk.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
WTF? Have they been taking Johns' drugs? Talk about overrated. Yes, Hayne's got talent but WTF man!

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hayne isn't even the most influential league personality of '09, nevermind the entire bloody modern era.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Influential how though?

I'm sure he influences plenty of kids down there. He's a pretty awesome player.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Well they included Gallop on the list, so I'm sure their definition of influential must be pretty open. In which case Hayne shouldn't be number 1. As said earlier, he is a very talented player but he has only really had one half season of consistent brilliant footy.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Gallop is very influential. He's a brilliant influence on all young skiers.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
ZIIIING.

Srsly though, if Hayne is classed as Influential by the amount of boots and jerseys his name sells at Peter Wynn's Score, then we're all doomed.

I think that Preston Campbell is far and away far more influential not only in Aborignal circles but Rugby League as a whole.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bannermania said:

I think that Preston Campbell is far and away far more influential not only in Aborignal circles but Rugby League as a whole.

+1!

Not to mention the many polynesian christian players, the good ones that don't drink, don't **** up and set a great role model for their peers.

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Exactly, when was the last time one of those guys was shot at in a bar?

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Plus. I don't see how diving is influential either.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Bannermania said:

I was going to say the same thing.

Everyone is getting off over the all stars game saying it is the next Origin (wait and see on that one) and the instigator of it all was Preston Campbell who along with Searle's business/marketing know-how got it off the ground. Therefore I would have both of those guys above Hayne.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
im struggling to find reasons why ANY nrl player is 'influential'. maybe if one of them was born with no freaking legs and somehow made it in, that would be influential, or has had at least some sort of big adversity to overcome. but being influential just cause they play footy and are good at it? i dont see it.

BroncoMatt

BroncoMatt

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
im struggling to find reasons why ANY nrl player is 'influential'. maybe if one of them was born with no freaking legs and somehow made it in, that would be influential, or has had at least some sort of big adversity to overcome. but being influential just cause they play footy and are good at it? i dont see it.

Are you confusing influential and inspirational? [icon_confu

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Exactly. Influential players are the ones I see that kids play in the backyard saying "I'm Darren Lockyer" or whatever.

Although I doubt anyone says "I'm David Gallop" LOL.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I'm inclined to think it's based on power and influence on/within the game itself. Gallop obviously runs the whole thing and Hayne sells the game to the kids. All the others are involved in the administration side or the media (ie the way the sport is presented to the public).

Very subjective yes, but I don't think it's really any worse than any of the other lists they come out with, and I can see the reason for Hayne's inclusion (and I hate him as much as anyone).

Unread

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • The Don
  • rnabokov
  • Robboi_321
  • thenry
  • BroncoFan94
  • Accept
  • Painin the Haas
  • broncos4life
  • MrRobot
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.