Uhhh... what?

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
PARRAMATTA'S superstar fullback Jarryd Hayne has emerged as the most popular and influential rugby league player of the modern era.

He's a bigger drawcard than Andrew Johns, Mal Meninga, Greg Inglis, Brad Fittler or any other champion who has played NRL footy.

The Daily Telegraph today reveals the 10 most powerful figures in rugby league - and the Eels star comes in at No. 2 behind CEO David Gallop because of his incredible influence over young fans.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/hayne-has-the-power-of-one/story-e6frexni-1225831568925

What a load of horse-sh*t. That's all I can say.

Wow......What exactly were the criteria for this???

And to Peter Wynn - hardly surprising that 90% of jerseys sold during the finals last year wanted Hayne's name on the back. Your store is in the middle of Parramatta after all!

LOLZ! Bigger drawcard than Mal Meninga and Andrew Johns sticks out pretty quick after one amazing season compared to the acclaim those guys are held in by fans and experts for many years of outstanding footy. I love how there is only one player in the list and its a guy who has achieved very little and all he has done is influence a few kids to buy boots and jerseys. He is a wonderful player and great talent but that story is a load of Sydney rubbish.

This is like all those "Greatest 1000 songs of all-time" countdowns on the radio that always have songs that are absolute shite yet somehow popular at the time in the top 10 ("Pretty Fly For a White Guy" springs to mind)

Ask the same question in 4 years time and if he's still up the top then I'll get excited (or not...)

He has one half a decent season and all of a sudden he's this golden child of league?

Looks like he's always won the Dally M without the season even starting for christs' sake.

He's not the most influential player of the modern era, he's just the most influential player of the past 10-15 NRL games, and everyone is getting caught up in the hype of this

i wouldnt even say he was the most influential, just the most fun to watch. and like you said, it was only for the back end of the season. the first half of the season he was rubbish.

probably cant argue with it tho, because as the article says, kids love him. it probably comes down to who gets most ppl talking, and i would suspect most of the younger kids only talk about hayne

When you consider in the last decade or so Andrew Johns was the Provan-Summons medal winner 5 times and Nathan Hindmarsh won it 4 times which is an award given to the games most popular player as voted by league fans wouldn't you think they might make the list well and truly before a guy who has had one superb half season in total.

This is absolutely disgusting. If this is who these so called League followers are deeming as influential, then this code is in serious trouble. Might as well pack it all in. Absolutey despicable.

yeah but we dont know wat they are basing it on. he probably is the most popular person in league right now for kids ages 7 - 16. thats a big demographic. who knows wtf they are basing it, but if you had to choose one player right now, that most ppl talk about, its hayne

im not saying i agree, but i can see where they are coming from, altho id like to know wat data they used, if any

QUEENSLANDER said:
yeah but we dont know wat they are basing it on. he probably is the most popular person in league right now for kids ages 7 - 16. thats a big demographic. who knows wtf they are basing it, but if you had to choose one player right now, that most ppl talk about, its hayne

im not saying i agree, but i can see where they are coming from, altho id like to know wat data they used, if any

Well.. I'm sure David Gallop isn't massivley popular with 7-14 year olds, so how did he come first?

There would be tonnes and tonnes of variable data, how the **** did they come to this conclusion.

Influential, I wouldn't put Hayne anywhere close to the word.

Preston Campbell, Hazem el Masri. Yes.

Hayne, no fking way.

maybe gallop was ppl over 14, and hayne all those under ;)

Wonder how many people with the last name of Beavis were polled?

Fozz said:
Wonder how many people with the last name of Beavis were polled?

Dunno, but clearly plenty with a first name Beavis.

WTF? there must be some kind of mistake in that. I'd give it to someone like Preston or Locky anyday, but Hayne, wtf?

Bannermania said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

Well.. I'm sure David Gallop isn't massivley popular with 7-14 year olds, so how did he come first?

There would be tonnes and tonnes of variable data, how the **** did they come to this conclusion.

Influential, I wouldn't put Hayne anywhere close to the word.

Preston Campbell, Hazem el Masri. Yes.

Hayne, no fking way.

Exactly, that is ridiculous that Hayne can make the list...
I would of been happy if it was someone like as you say, Hazem, Campbell or Lockyer, Johns, Hindmarsh, etc. People who have been in the game for a long time and have respect of the fans, clubs and so on, not Hayne, no way in the world.

I find it very hard to believe, as in Brisbane, the undisputed heart of rugby league, no one cares unless your last name is lockyer, seriously, maybe lewis or meninga, certainly not hayne. Dead set, half a good season, what a joke.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • Johnny92
  • Cavalo
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Allo
  • broncsgoat
  • Kev_Guz
  • Financeguy
  • broncsfan88
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.