Under-fire Broncos recruit Jack Bird eyes return for Brisbane

Bennett earlier in the year said that Bird can't just jump straight back in to grade after such a long layoff. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a game in Q Cup first, or gets a 20 minute stint off the bench.

I would like to see this. Hopefully he comes on for McCullough and this stays the same for the rest of the year.

I reckon the nutritionists in the club are better than us at this whole weight thing.

I wonder what the nutritionists say about the free Maccas cards and love of all things cola?

There was an article earlier in the year about how TPJ gave up junk food to try to improve himself. Some players are just more motivated than others.

Geez... Some of you need to get a fucking grip.

Imagine rocking up to a new city, new club, new coach, have to make new friends, new relationships etc...while being in chronic pain that doctors haven't properly diagnosed.

Not referring to Bird but if you're in constant pain you may find solace in food or the bottle.

Bennett said the other day that Bird is in a much better headspace now that they have a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

It's a miracle he played a game for us let alone several. It speaks to his toughness that he tried to give it a go and put up with a problem that required multiple surgeries.

Some of you lot would probably break a tonenail and want six months off!

It speaks volumes as well that he wants to come back and contribute and help the team despite the fact the sensible option is to probably wait unitl next year.

Last edited:
Geez... Some of you need to get a fucking grip.

Imagine rocking up to a new city, new club, new coach, have to make new friends, new relationships etc...while being in chronic pain that doctors haven't properly diagnosed.

Not referring to Bird but if you're in constant pain you may find solace in food or the bottle.

Bennett said the other day that Bird is in a much better headspace now that they have a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

It's a miracle he played a game for us let alone several. It speaks to his toughness that he tried to give it a go and put up with a problem that required multiple surgeries.

Some of you lot would probably break a tonenail and want six months off!

It speaks volumes as well that he wants to come back and contribute and help the team despite the fact the sensible option is to probably wait unitl next year.
You're talking shit though, a broken toenail is minimum 7 month rehab.

There was an article earlier in the year about how TPJ gave up junk food to try to improve himself. Some players are just more motivated than others.

I don't care how young he is, he should be our captain......If he doesn't up and leave with Bennett that is.

You’re also banking on no complications which could easily extend it.

Given the painful injuries he has had, it is understandable why his form has been down this season.

it is definitely great that he is keen to get back on the field for us, and now that he is pain free, he will make some people eat their words IMO.

I would be tempted to sit him for the year though get him back fresh with a full pre-season under his belt, although we could use his talents on the field right now
If he’s fit he will play. We really need to sneak into the 8 because no side is really dominant this year. If a team can do a 2017 Cowboys they won’t have a dominant side like last years Melbourne in front of them.

If he’s fit he will play. We really need to sneak into the 8 because no side is really dominant this year. If a team can do a 2017 Cowboys they won’t have a dominant side like last years Melbourne in front of them.

This year is a good year for one of the bottom 4 getting a cheeky pinky in the stinky and taking it all.

So Bird back for the Manly game?

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/08/16/injury-update---jack-bird/

Injury Update - Jack Bird

Author
broncos.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 16 Aug 2018, 11:06 AM

BRONCOS' utility Jack Bird will continue with his rehabilitation after receiving results of the latest scans on his sternum injury.
Bird had surgery on his sternum six weeks ago to repair an abnormality that was causing massive pain in his chest.
The problem has plagued him since the start of the season.
And while the sternum is repairing, the scans have revealed he is not ready to return to full contact just yet.
"We always knew this was going to be a slow process with the unusual surgery Jack had," said Broncos' High Performance Manager Jeremy Hickmans.
"Jack is not ready for full contact at this stage so he will continue training without that.
"His injury will be scanned again in a couple of weeks' time as another check on his progress."

Last edited:
Thanks for your efforts this year Jack. Put your feet up, enjoy your Maccas and we’ll see you and Matt Gillett in 2019...

TBH I didn't really see the point in him returning this late in the season even if he got the clearance. The off-season he was plagued with injuries and even when he eventually got back on the field it was clear he was still hindered and his fitness levels didn't help. Essentially making any evaluation on how he went this season pretty much pointless as well. Better to continue with the rehabilitation and get the best preperation possible for 2019.

Last edited:
So do we get a salary cap discount with him missing so much time? Wasn't there a new rule about just that (or proposed)?
We had to spend our entire salary cap on him this year, so I'd hope we at least get a discount.

Last edited:
Look at TPJ go in the gym. Do you need to have his physique and natural gifts to succeed in the NRL?

Nope. But you do need to train like him.

But you and I aren’t talking about you and I. We are talking about allegedly professional athletes. Blokes who train twice daily. They train early in the morning, have a few hours break and come back and train again in the afternoon.

Blokes whose job it is to prepare themselves to their utmost ability to play an athletic sport.

Now I am a fairly lean fella myself. I’m in my early 40’s and my sport playing days are far behind me. Yet I train and I run. Not twice a day but very often. I can still run a half marathon in sub 1hr 40’s without trying too hard. I often run as a pace setter for friends of mine who want to do those sorts of times. When I push myself for an event, I run 21 kays well under 90 minutes. I hope to get back to sub-80 minutes one day, but we will see if these old legs and mindset will get me there...

I can routinely do 5k runs in under 20 minutes, under 18 if I train for an event and the last time I did the beep test, I got to 13 before they stopped the timer due to boredom. I am 182cms (6 foot or thereabouts) and run at about 88-90 kegs, depending on my training goals.

I work shift work fulltime and I am an asthmatic. Have been my whole life. I don’t get to train like a professional athlete, so I don’t win many races. I have won the odd park-run here and there, which keeps me happy.

I do however work as hard as I can when I get my chance to train. But I am not a professional and I do it for free / me. Not for $1m or so per year. So forgive me if I don’t have much patience for the bleating of those who do about why they can’t at least LOOK like a professional athlete, let alone play like one... Forgive me if I don’t have much patience for these blokes enjoying their free McDonalds cards or the odd (or not so odd) fizzy cola drink...

I don’t hear many excuses from or about those who do look like professional athletes. Players like Boyd, TPJ, Isaako, McGuire and so on. But I do hear plenty from / about those don’t and those who we are currently playing really big bucks to...

Funny how we never seem to hear or see these same issues with Storm or Roosters players... Or just about any other top team, come to think of it...
No TRT?

Early 40s and able to maintain that kind of intensity is nearly unheard of. Your T must be naturally high, or you’ve eaten nothing but clean for the last 15 years.

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • The Strapper
  • broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Horseheadsup
  • Mighty Bronx
  • johnny plath
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.