Under-fire Broncos recruit Jack Bird eyes return for Brisbane

So do we get a salary cap discount with him missing so much time? Wasn't there a new rule about just that (or proposed)?
We had to spend our entire salary cap on him this year, so I'd hope we at least get a discount.

It's only if they suffer the injury during a rep game.

It's only if they suffer the injury during a rep game.
Thinking about our issues with Bird and Kotoni Staggs it would be smarter (not the NRL's strength I know) for a team to be able to replace any season long injury inside your 30 with a new player.

For us we could've replaced Bird with Staggs early... no change to Staggs contract or anything just a replacement that we can use as if he is any other player in our top 30.

Early 40s and able to maintain that kind of intensity is nearly unheard of. Your T must be naturally high, or you’ve eaten nothing but clean for the last 15 years.

Not really. Come and join Brisbane Running Club. There are plenty of much older blokes there that absolutely smash me...

Thinking about our issues with Bird and Kotoni Staggs it would be smarter (not the NRL's strength I know) for a team to be able to replace any season long injury inside your 30 with a new player.

For us we could've replaced Bird with Staggs early... no change to Staggs contract or anything just a replacement that we can use as if he is any other player in our top 30.
We had plenty of opportunities to add him to our top 30 anyway. We only had to fill our final spot before June 30

We had plenty of opportunities to add him to our top 30 anyway. We only had to fill our final spot before June 30
I know I've read that before, but I'm just saying for whatever reason Bennett wanted to start Staggs against the warriors but wasn't able to... at that point Bird was probably already gone for the season so if a rule was in place they could've replaced him in the top 30

Last edited:
JACK WANTS BACK IN
JACK Bird wants to return home to Cronulla after a disappointing and injury-riddled season with Brisbane.
The trouble is, the Sharks can’t afford him unless the Broncos contribute heavily towards his contract.
The departures of Jesse Ramien and Ricky Leutele, plus the long-term doubts over Val Holmes, leave Cronulla short in the “back five” where Bird would obviously be a huge bonus. The trouble is Josh Dugan got the big money Bird was on. Maybe the Sharks will try to offload him.
Rothfield at it again. As if we're going to pay Sharks to take Bird back. Get real, fool.

Rothfield at it again. As if we're going to pay Sharks to take Bird back. Get real, fool.

Rothfield has no credibility ...

he kept trying to convince everyone that Bird never wanted to leave the Sharks, despite Bird himself, his father, his hairdresser, basically everyone who knew Bird, said it was BS.

Haha was this Rothfield??

Why the **** is it "back five" does that need to be quoted or does he just not know what an outside back is.....

If it does happen though especially after the ben barba ordeal then people need to be sacked and publicly whipped

Speaking of, I’d actually take Barba back to play fullback. I know this will be a very unpopular opinion.

Wayne Bennett says Jack Bird will stick it out at Brisbane — while admitting he’s not happy
de1bb15d4a20981fa14094c3ad50519f

WAYNE Bennett has denied star recruit Jack Bird wants to quit the Broncos despite Brisbane players admitting their $3 million teammate is not happy.
Bird’s debut season at the Broncos has been one to forget and he is expected to miss the remainder of the year as he continues his rehabilitation from sternum surgery.
The NSW Origin star arrived at Red Hill this season on a four-year contract worth in excess of $750,000-a-year, making him one of Brisbane’s highest paid players.
NEXT GEN: Titans cross the border for new talent
BIG MEN: Lodge puts a target on Napa

e23ce7fe5a7564f7cdbeae2de5fbafd9

Teammates have sympathy with Bird’s situation. (AAP Image/Darren England)
However, Bird has been restricted to just eight appearances after a shoulder reconstruction delayed his Broncos debut before the sternum problem forced him to undergo surgery.
Bird’s plight has prompted speculation the 23-year-old utility wants to return to Cronulla, where he played a key role in the Sharks’ historic 2016 NRL premiership.
While admitting Bird was frustrated, coach Bennett said he was committed to helping Bird bounce back to his best at the Broncos.
Want to win 2012 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final tickets? Fill out the survey below for your chance to win!
Love rugby league? Make your voice heard
“There is no fun for him,” Bennett said.
“He’s been through the worst, it’s all upside for him, but probably not until next year.
“It was nobody’s fault, it’s one of those things. Now it’s sorted and the recovery has taken a bit longer than we all thought it would.
“He just can’t play football. It’s not his fault or the club’s fault. It’s the business we’re in.
“It’s a tough time for him. They are young men and want to play football. He is away from family and his close mates. That is the reality of the situation but it is what it is.
“Whingeing is not going to change anything. The bottom line is to get on with life. We want Jack at the club and he knows that and I’m sure Jack wants to be there.”
Bird has been training with the full squad in recent weeks, but is restricted when it comes to contact sessions due to the tender sternum situation.
He has not played since Round 10 and with Brisbane having as few as three games remaining this year, Bird may have to wait until 2019 to pull on a Broncos jersey again.
Broncos prop Matt Lodge admitted Bird was struggling to deal with being sidelined, but urged his teammate to remain committed to Brisbane.
92e7a34b4ae82f7c43de613f6480d750

Can Bird stick it out at Brisbane? (AAP Image/Darren England)
“It’s hard for anybody to be happy when they have missed the whole year,” Lodge said.
“I’ve been in that position a few years ago. It’s hard to enjoy being around a footy club when you can’t get on the field.
“He is probably feeling that, but it turns when you start playing and get some performances together.
“Broncos fans should get behind him and encourage him because he could help this club to a (premiership).
“We know the player Birdy is. He was a massive part of Cronulla winning the competition and that’s why he’s here.
“He is quality when he’s on and you need those quality players to win comps. Birdy at full flight is someone we want to have on the field.”
Bird will undergo further scans on his sternum next week to determine whether he could make an unlikely appearance in the finals.

The longer he is out the more the pressure mounts for him to perform miracles when he returns poor guy. I still don't know where he plays though. We desperately need a left edge centre though that can tackle.

reading that article, it looks like Bird has taken a pay cut again ... his salary is back down to 750k

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Mustafur
  • Fatboy
  • RodF
  • Mighty Bronx
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • westy316
  • BroncosFan_Corey
... and 41 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.