NEWS Unsigned players for 2021

I am actually glad we haven’t signed the likes of him and Tumou.
I know they would bring experience but really they are just after a pension year or two and aren’t what we need.
Much rather we go after someone like Welch (yes I know he isn’t available now) but that sort of player would be good.
Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much on the market at the moment that would bring what we need.
That’s what we do though. We sign players who are on their last legs because nobody else wants to come here

Addin Fonua-Blake wants out of Sydney and is on Joe-O money.

Last edited:
Addin Fonua-Blake wants out of Sydney and is on Joe-O money.
Is it a side ways move? Is it buying a proven consistent player? I like the idea of clubs bartering. Trading players around. Keyword given the last 3-5 years, proven. Throwing the bank at potential has made Issac Moses a rich man. Be open to players such a Joe being traded or loaned. Maybe a fresh start; new club, new coach, new geography could reinvigorate some careers. Rather keep Jack Bird around given he is by nature, a winner. He is also the best fullback option available to us in house and in the current market..better we save our pennies for 2022-23. It will be 20 years in 2026 since our last premiership. Still remember chugging those pints on Bridge road, Melbourne.

Start shopping:

Fullback:
Brendan Elliot, Albert Hopoate, Caleb Aekins, Charlie Staines, Glenn McGrady, Dylan Smith, Josh Hoffman.

Wing:
Michael Oldfield, Jordan Rapana, Marcelo Montoya, Sandor Earl, Isaac Lumelume, Tyronne Roberts-Davis, Patrick Herbert, George Jennings, Braydon McGrady, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Young Tonumaipea, Selestino Ravutaumada, Abbas Miski, Andre Niko, Richie Kennar, Ilikena Vudogo, Robert Jennings, Brett Morris.

Centre:
Tim Lafai, Isiaah Tass, Dale Copley, Marion Seve, Tautau Moga, Gerard Beale, Tom Opacic, David Russell, Brad Takairangi, Braydon McGrady, Cory Denniss, Steven Marsters, Watson Heleta, Kea Pere, Ioane Seiuli, Jackson Ferris, Matthew Timoko, Jordan Kahu, Josh Morris.

Five Eighth:
Jack Cogger, Kieran Foran, Mason Lino, Benji Marshall, Connor Watson, Adam Keighran, Jaeman Salmon, Will Smith, Dean Blore, Tyrone May, Drew Hutchinson, Jordan Rankin, Jarrett Jubloo, Tyson Gamble, Tristan Sailor.

Halfback:
Braydon Trindall, Tyrone Roberts, Luke Metcalf, Cooper Johns, Jai Field, Lachlan Lam, Jack A Williams, Sean O’Sullivan.

Hooker:
Cameron King, Nathan Peats, Danny Levi, Cameron Smith, Connor Watson, Nathaniel Roache, Reuben Cotter, Rhyse Davies, Ray Stone, Joe Lovodua, Jake Friend, Freddy Lussick, Kyle Schneider, Luke Huth, Chris Randall, Kobe Hethrington.

Prop:
Sauaso Sue, Aiden Tolman, Keegan Hipgrave, Max King, Josh King, Lachlan Burr, Leivaha Pulu, John Asiata, David Gower, Peni Terepo, James Tamou, Kaide Ellis, Tom Amone, Kurt Dillon, Ky Rodwell, Garrett Smith, Matt Croker, Dan Vasquez, Rhys Kennedy, Oliver Clark, Sia Soliola.

Hooker:
Cameron King, Nathan Peats, Danny Levi, Cameron Smith, Connor Watson, Nathaniel Roache, Reuben Cotter, Rhyse Davies, Ray Stone, Joe Lovodua, Jake Friend, Freddy Lussick, Kyle Schneider, Luke Huth, Chris Randall, Kobe Hethrington.

Back Row:
Kayleb Milne, Kevin Proctor, Sam Stone, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Aidan Guerra, Brodie Jones, Isaiah Papali’i, Andrew Davey, Pat Hollis, Bailey Sironen, Jack Johns, Luca Moretti, Chris Lewis, Kelma Tuilagi, Kai O’Donnell, Pride Petterson-Robati, Jamil Hopoate, Ben Te’o, Sam McIntyre, Chris McQueen, Scott Sorensen, Josh Carr, Tom Eisenhuth, Elijah Taylor.

McHunt
In the Outside Backs I'd really only be keen to take Opacic. Id' also consider Staines if it was on just ability, but I think he's going to price himself out of our reach.

In the Halves I'd really only be interested in looking at Tristan Sailor.

As Dummy Halves go the obvious one is Cam Smith, but Jake Friend would be nice too, though his age and injury history is a concern at this stage.

For Middle Forwards I'd consider Tolman and possibly Peni Terepo.

Worryingly, the Back Row stocks are really thin and it's one area we could probably use some depth to recruit in. Guerra is already retired but he was the only one I'd have really been interested in.

Why? Please don't put this into the ether. The bloke is done and is part of the reason his current club is in exactly the same position we are in, except for longer. Bulldogs rejects won't improve this club.
I said I'd consider him, I didn't say he was a priority. If he was inexpensive then we could do far worse than to bring a reliable, experienced and still very hard working middle Forward to the club. He would certainly be helpful in setting some standards around work ethic and professionalism too.

I said I'd consider him, I didn't say he was a priority. If he was inexpensive then we could do far worse than to bring a reliable, experienced and still very hard working middle Forward to the club. He would certainly be helpful in setting some standards around work ethic and professionalism too.
Sorry, reliable in what way? He’s been terrible this year and rarely works hard anymore. He would just be another one of those retirement fun contracts that we’ve been giving out for the last few years. We can do better.

Last edited:
Sorry, reliable in what way? He’s been terrible this year and rarely works hard anymore. He would just be another one of those retirement fun contracts that we’ve been giving out for the last few years. We can do better.
Well I'll assume you're just shooting from the hip with your subjective opinion here and haven't actually bothered to check the numbers, because they paint a very different story to the 'unreliable, terrible and rarely hard working' 2020 you've described:

Aiden Tolman in 2020:

Games: 17
Average Minutes: 61 per game
Tackles: 685 @ 93.8% efficiency, which incidentally, is a comparable efficiency to the likes of noted gun defenders McCinnes, Twal, & Jake Trbojevic
Average Tackles: 40.8 per game with an average of just over ONE missed tackle per game in the second worse team in the comp.
Average Run Metres: 18 runs @ 141 metres per game
Discipline: 3 penalties conceded and 5 errors in total in 2020, which places him amongst the lowest for these numbers for any middle defender in the competition.

Put simply, if you were to compare Tolman to the Broncos in 2020, no Bronco has averaged as many tackles as Tolman, no Bronco has as high a tackle efficiency as Tolman and only Payne Haas has averaged more metres gained. I'm sure I also don't need to point out that our only even close to comparable players in Haas and Carrigan also have more errors and penalties conceded too.

Sorry to break it to you, but whilst he is perhaps not a gun player or likely to get much better either, the idea that Tolman is declining or just isn't good anymore is frankly not even remotely supported by the numbers.

Last edited:
Well I'll assume you're just shooting from the hip with your subjective opinion here and haven't actually bothered to check the numbers, because they paint a very different story to the 'unreliable, terrible and rarely hard working' 2020 you've described:

Aiden Tolman in 2020:

Games: 17
Average Minutes: 61 per game
Tackles: 685 @ 93.8% efficiency, which incidentally, is a comparable efficiency to the likes of noted gun defenders McCinnes, Twal, & Jake Trbojevic
Average Tackles: 40.8 per game with an average of just over ONE missed tackle per game in the second worse team in the comp.
Average Run Metres: 18 runs @ 141 metres per game
Discipline: 3 penalties conceded and 5 errors in total in 2020, which places him amongst the lowest for these numbers for any middle defender in the competition.

Put simply, if you were to compare Tolman to the Broncos in 2020, no Bronco has averaged as many tackles as Tolman, no Bronco has as high a tackle efficiency as Tolman and only Payne Haas has averaged more metres gained. I'm sure I also don't need to point out that our only even close to comparable players in Haas and Carrigan also have more errors and penalties conceded too.

Sorry to break it to you, but whilst he is perhaps not a gun player or likely to get much better either, the idea that Tolman is declining or just isn't good anymore is frankly not even remotely supported by the numbers.
With all your talk of stats, I think you might have achieved the impossible; given @Huge an erection without the use of supplements.

Last edited:
With all your talk of stats, I think you might have achieved the impossible; given @Huge an erection without the use of supplements.
I actually agree in general that in a lot of scenarios stats only tell part of the story, but for Middle Forwards perhaps more than any other position on the field it's very, very hard to argue with the raw numbers when assessing their output and how hard they are working.

In Tolman's case the evidence is pretty crystal clear indeed.

Last edited:
Carrigans more than capable of doing everything Tolman can in a appropriately structured game plan (remember those..?)

So im inlcined to keep that salary aside for 2021 off season and develop Patty as a Prop with Haas and Lodge and Flegler.

Theres a 4 front row rotation thats more than handy in my eyes...

Carrigans more than capable of doing everything Tolman can in a appropriately structured game plan (remember those..?)

So im inlcined to keep that salary aside for 2021 off season and develop Patty as a Prop with Haas and Lodge and Flegler.

Theres a 4 front row rotation thats more than handy in my eyes...
You need four Props per game, let alone what you need to get through an entire season. Have a look at how many Props we've used this year.

As I said though, Tolman is just someone I would consider, not necessarily a priority signing. I think he still stacks up as a pretty good quality middle Forward and if the price was inexpensive then I think he'd bring more to the club than we paid for once you factor in his professionalism and work ethic that you'd hope could well rub off on some of our other guys.

So an interesting point would be, who is off contract in 22 that we should be targetting? Sign them to a contract November 1. Then see if they can be released a year early.

Some off contract forwards I wouldn't have a problem with if Broncos signed them.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Bish
  • Pablo
  • Santa
  • Tmac
  • Broncosgirl
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Nerd
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.