V'landys talks the talk, is he about to walk the walk?

Has there ever been any clarity as to how the got this impression when it seems that ever other team understood it was a May return? Was this intentional by the NRL or are the Broncos just that fucking stupid that they didn't read the email properly?
I think it was suggested at the time that the players would be taking their allotted annual leave now rather than the end of the year... ie their normal time off between end of season and preseason wouldnt be available so they would be taking their break now.

I think there were reports that the Broncos weren't anticipating the comp to be restarted until July/Aug/Sep or something like that

I think it was suggested at the time that the players would be taking their allotted annual leave now rather than the end of the year... ie their normal time off between end of season and preseason wouldnt be available so they would be taking their break now.

I think there were reports that the Broncos weren't anticipating the comp to be restarted until July/Aug/Sep or something like that

Yeah I know but what I want to know is why they were anticipating that but clearly other teams weren't? Did the NRL give mixed messages or is this just another **** up where they think they know better than everyone else?

Any review on what happened this season should focus on what happened during that break, because that appears to have played a large part in stuffing our season. My suspicion has always been that we did not train as hard as other teams and that the other teams were training together and we weren't. Were the teams in NSW subject to the same restrictions regarding training that the teams in Qld were?

So they should be. Melbourne have been an absolute blight on rugby league. They ruined several years of the competition with their deliberate salary cap cheating of unprecedented magnitude, were never properly punished for it, and ushered in an era of deliberate cheating on the field along with tackles designed to injure other players and completely control the ruck. Any time a rule was brought in, they either found a technical loophole, another way around it, or just flat out ignored it knowing the referees would buckle first. Cameron Smith may be a great player but he's an absolute grub on the field, Craig Bellamy has shown that while he may be an excellent coach he's never been able to win a premiership without having three future immortals in his spine. Alex McKinnon may well never walk again because Bellyache thinks winning dirty is far more important than abiding by the rules of the game. And to top it off they've produced maybe one local junior. As a code we would have been better off booting the Storm from the comp in 2011.

And gratitude for their sacrifice? Half their players are from Queensland anyway. They should be grateful to us for even letting them in. If I was a player there and had a choice between a frozen shithole full of smarmy wankers and coronavirus or living somewhere half decent I'd be hoping for the team to be moved up north every year.

Which is why the NRL is trying to desperately to appeal to fans like you. Melbourne are treated like the 'enemy' by the media even though there are other clubs that are far more ill-disciplined or toxic for the game.

The entire team and their training facilities are based in Melbourne. They've had to make more sacrifices than most clubs in the game and they're shown little to no appreciation. More was made of Canberra having to catch a bus and travel to games for a few weeks.

I'm not saying Melbourne are angels either, just that there's an obvious agenda that the NRL is pandering towards.

b4l - As lynx said, the review needs to focus on that Covid period. Based on reports, I believe the Broncos made their own assumptions because it was clear that V'landys was going to explore every avenue to get the competition up and running ASAP. He didn't want to shut the competition down in the first place. Whether clubs actually followed strict protocols or not is something we may never know but based on how some teams performed compared to their earlier efforts I'm very suspicious.

Last edited:
Which is why the NRL is trying to desperately to appeal to fans like you. Melbourne are treated like the 'enemy' by the media even though there are other clubs that are far more ill-disciplined or toxic for the game.

The entire team and their training facilities are based in Melbourne. They've had to make more sacrifices than most clubs in the game and they're shown little to no appreciation. More was made of Canberra having to catch a bus and travel to games for a few weeks.

I'm not saying Melbourne are angels either, just that there's an obvious agenda that the NRL is pandering towards.

b4l - As lynx said, the review needs to focus on that Covid period. Based on reports, I believe the Broncos made their own assumptions because it was clear that V'landys was going to explore every avenue to get the competition up and running ASAP. He didn't want to shut the competition down in the first place. Whether clubs actually followed strict protocols or not is something we may never know but based on how some teams performed compared to their earlier efforts I'm very suspicious.
More was made of Canberra because we had to play Melbourne in Melbourne in round 3

whilst every other team was pretty much allowed to ply where they choose we were playing home games against Sydney teams in Sydney until about round 10...

More was made of Canberra because we had to play Melbourne in Melbourne in round 3

I believe they call those away games.

whilst every other team was pretty much allowed to ply where they choose we were playing home games against Sydney teams in Sydney until about round 10...

Only Brisbane, Melbourne, Parramatta and North Queensland actually. Canberra were able to return to GIO in Round 8, while Melbourne haven't played at AAMI since Round 4.

@Sproj and @Organix have been triggered. Whatever you do, don’t bag the coffee [emoji23][emoji23]
Hahaha

I mean, I agree with his points. I still think making league a national sport requires Melbourne. Unfortunately, the NRL has been doing it wrong for so long. They've been forcing certain issues for quite some time and now I'm very close to quitting the whole thing. I reduced it down from watching all the games to just Origin and Broncos, now I'm just down to Broncos and pretty soon I'll give that up too. It's just becoming too corrupt and stage-managed that it's essentially the WWE. Like reading the Murdoch media around politics, it's not even subtle anymore.

Hahaha
It's just becoming too corrupt and stage-managed that it's essentially the WWE. Like reading the Murdoch media around politics, it's not even subtle anymore.

Stage-managed is pretty fair description of the situation, everything from the draw, the cap, the rule changes, the refereeing, the bunker, the judiciary, its all being manipulated, any inkling of fair competition and credibility has been whittled away.

I was the same, I used to enjoy watching every game, now every match just feels the same over and over and my frustration rises every time I hear that friggen set restart bell.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.