Wallace and Origin bolter

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Admins please feel free to move this thread to League Talk if you think that is where it belongs

NEW Brisbane half-back Peter Wallace could emerge as a New South Wales Origin bolter if he measures up against North Queensland No.7 Johnathan Thurston at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

The 22 year-old Penrith discard is not allowing himself to think about representative football despite his impressive start with Brisbane.

But it's understood he's already caught the eye of some NSW selectors with impressive performances against his former NRL club and again as man-of-the-match in Brisbane's 20-14 win over the Roosters.

Should he pull out another strong performance against two-time Dally M winner Thurston, regarded as the world's best half-back, he'd suddenly leapfrog a list of players already under Origin consideration.

It wouldn't be out of the question for selectors to test Wallace's representative potential in the annual City-Country clash at Wollongong's WIN Stadium on May 2.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

Thoughts??

There is no way he is ready for this yet. And no way he is good enough for it either.

Honestly, NSW's best combo would be 6.Bird 7.Kimmorley IMO. They know each others style, and are both good in their respective positions, no matter what some people say.

Well I reckon he's definitely in with a chance.

I don't think they'll go with Kimmorely tbh, he's getting older and he's failed too many times at Origin level.

Mullen and Carney are both five-eighths and Bird should be in the forwards.

The only competition for the halfback spot is coming from Brett Finch (unless I've forgotten someone?).

NSW will take him for the City Country game just as they did with DeVere [icon_shady Whether or not they will chose him in the origin side is another thing.
Hope not as we don't need to lose anymore players during that period AGAIN

oh man, good on him for doing so well, but i wouldnt be too happy with him playing for nsw

good that he's getting the early wraps, but i dont see this happening. Mullen will get it b4 Wallace does.

Agreed. Despite being primarily a five-eighth, I think Mullen will be the Origin halfback.

Let's not forget Thurston and Prince both preferred five-eighth as juniors and in their early days. They've adapted to halfback.

I hope they put him in so QLD can absolutely dominate

QUEENSLANDER said:

Translation: you don't rate Peter Wallace? [eusa_eh

ethos said:

I don't think they'll go with Kimmorely tbh, he's getting older and he's failed too many times at Origin level.

The only competition for the halfback spot is coming from Brett Finch (unless I've forgotten someone?).

Both can play halfback though, Mullen is coming along quite well in the No.7 IMO.

If I were selecting for NSW I'd go with
1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Gasnier
4. ?
5. El Masri
6. Gidley
7. Mullen

Two rounds in jesus christ. Next year they'll be predicting SoO before the season starts.

Lachy said:
Two rounds in jesus christ. Next year they'll be predicting SoO before the season starts.

You don't think the selectors already do? Mal Meninga and his crew would've been discussing Origin 2008 within a month of Game 3 2007. They'd be thinking about what young players are performing well, how the 2007 squad is performing post-Origin etc.

Through the offseason they would've been keeping in touch with club doctors and coaching staff about players who have been there, or who have been earmarked for future honours about their performance/health/fitness.

They'd have a pencilled in squad already, probably of 25-30 players which they'll be gradually forming various combinations of 17s out of.

I don't see any problem in making predictions for rep team selection from now. Obviously the picture will change each week but by round 6 I reckon both teams will be 90% locked in and just a couple of positions in contention.

Predicting top 8s and grand finalists? That's just crystal ball stuff of course.

Scotty said:
ethos said:

Both can play halfback though, Mullen is coming along quite well in the No.7 IMO.

What do you base that on though? He isn't playing half for Newcastle at the moment..

ethos said:
Scotty said:
ethos said:

What do you base that on though? He isn't playing half for Newcastle at the moment..

Oh he isn't? My bad I though he was, haven't watched any of the knights games. I just heard he played well and assumed. I think he played halfback for a few games last year didn't he?

Coxy said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

Translation: you don't rate Peter Wallace? [eusa_eh

I rate him, but i dont rate him THAT highly. He would get dominated in origin, hes only just finding his feet as a 1st grade halfback. Hardly time to put him up against the might maroons!

Fair enough, tend to agree icon_thumbs_u Though some players do thrive on the pressure of Origin and surprise everybody (Greg Bird eg).

I hope Wallace plays well enough to get picked for Origin but is left out to use his good form for the Broncos.. Maybe in a few years he will be ready for origin.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Broncorob
  • MrRobot
  • Harry Sack
  • scobie
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • The True King
  • Battler
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rambstien
  • Fitzy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.