Wallace is the worst halfback in the NRL... True story!

Re: Round 9 - Eels vs. Broncos - Pre-Match Discussion

He wouldn't be an improvement regardless, well that my opinion.

I'm a bit confused by the order of your list.

Please tell me you aren't rating Pearce as a better Halfback than Johnson and Sandow..?

My process was actually quite elaborate.

Cooper Cronk #1 since he's the Australian, Queensland and Premiership winning halfback.

Daly-Cherry Evans because he's clearly the #2 and a #2 for being a Sea Eagle.

Then I went alphabetical based on club.

South Sydney: Adam Reynolds
Sydney Roosters: Mitchell Pearce
Warriors: Shaun Johnson

And then I threw in Chris Sandow because some people seem to want to rate him at any opportunity they can get.

FWIW, Johnson is pretty overrated. Great prospect but still a very raw talent prone to making some dumb mistakes.

Oh and Sandow just sucks. Pearce easily has him beat. Highlight reels enthusiasts be damned.

In my opinion Reynolds > Cherry ripe.

Hmmm...

Cooper Cronk
Daly-Cherry Evans
Adam Reynolds?
...Mitch Pearce?
.......Shaun Johnson?
..................................................Chris Sandow?

I can't even come up with 7 and all but two are questionable to me.

Plenty on par with Wallace, but better? I want to see your working out.

I'd take Tyrone Roberts and Albert Kelly over Wallace in a heartbeat. Probably McCrone or Sam Williams as well.

Kelly? As in Albert Kelly? Holy f***

I'd trade Justin Hodges for Albert Kelly.

Tyrone Roberts hasn't done enough to impress, although he's better at half then Gidley.

I'd trade Hodges in for a half too, but only if it's someone at the caliber of Cooper Cronk. Not an average joe like Kelly.

Anyone wanting to trade Hodges can never bag out Bruno Cullen.

What do you mean Jono?

Hmmm...

Cooper Cronk
Daly-Cherry Evans
Adam Reynolds?
...Mitch Pearce?
.......Shaun Johnson?
..................................................Chris Sandow?

I can't even come up with 7 and all but two are questionable to me.

Plenty on par with Wallace, but better? I want to see your working out.

I'd trade Justin Hodges for Albert Kelly.

I hope your talking about SVRL, please don't say you are serious

Trade Hodges? WTF? The equal 2nd best centre in the world?

I would forget about signing a half anyway. We need a ball playing FB to replace Norman. IMO, if our halves do their job, we have an even chance of winning any game. And we have shown that so far more or less, but with our roster, it's more than ever a question of timing.

That's why I am so pi**ed off we took the silly moral high ground and lost Dugan who would have made an ideal FB for the team we have.

As I see it, none of our halves, including Hunt, have anywhere near the speed and/or strength to play the kind of game DCE, Pearce, Carney, Reynolds etc play. They just can't cut it attacking the line, more so since we SUCK at support play, or running wide to get around the defence to set up a play since they are too slow.

For mine Wallace and Prince have 2 basic jobs: kicking game obviously, and setting up our our outside runners, either on the edges, like Prince did with Gillett a few games ago, or with Wallace setting up the 2nd man play on the left which, in our game plan seems to need Norman coming into the line - and which so far only works when Norman gets his timing right AND Reed stands deep enough to at least have a decent chance to run and pass before the defence is up in a line to kill the move - as Souths did.

That's why Hodges is so important to the right side attack. He can get around his man. Prince is too slow now to do that. His job is to set up Gillett to run a hole or get it to Hodges with enough time for Hodges to create space.

If we stand flat against the Eels as we did v Souths on the left, forget it and once again, it will be left up to Hodges to win the game for us.

How sad is that. We are, more than less, a one man outfit

Last edited:

Wallace is shit. Absolutely shit. But, as others have pointed out, there's only about 4 or so halfbacks that are better than him in the NRL right now. Which backs up what Gould has been saying for years...the modern game is coaching playmaking out of players from a young age. There's just no instinctive playmakers coming through anymore, or they're very rare.

Compare it to the 90s and early 00s...Wallace wouldn't have made first grade at any club. He's John Plath without the x-factor.

I really don't think we are a one man team. We were in it to our eye balls against Souths and Melbourne without Hodges. Prince is 33 FFS. He was a step up no matter which way you look at it.

I really don't think we are a one man team. We were in it to our eye balls against Souths and Melbourne without Hodges. Prince is 33 FFS. He was a step up no matter which way you look at it.

We were indeed. Thing is, we lost. We lost in part cos the right side was a mess without Hodges, and not just of his ability to create, but his absence made the structure non-existent.

We lost because the left side stood so flat that Souths exceptional one-on-one marking gave us zero room to do anything.

I am getting sick and tired of hearing how shite Wallace and Prince are, and comparing them to players who are entirely different in the way they play make.

We are stuck with them, and the game plan has to be built around them. What we have to do is get the timing right and not expect Wallace to be DCE or Prince to be Foran.

They are both there to get the ball to those who can create something. Norman and the left side, Hodges on the right, and one day, some more consistent holes for Glenn and Gillett.

Oh, and some consistent creative kicking wouldn't go astray either.

Last edited:

I would take Mitchell Pearce over Peter Wallace any day of the week. Pearce has been great this year setting up tries and organising the team, Wallace has done squat.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.