NEWS Walsh has ‘rare trait’ that might bag him Clive Churchill Medal: Broncos champ

BHQArticleImageReeceWalsh6L

Broncos champion Karmichael Hunt has backed Reece Walsh to claim the Clive Churchill Medal, declaring he possesses a trait rarely seen in any player.

Hunt rose to prominence as a fearless fullback who made his NRL debut at 17 – a foot injury, and Justin Hodges’ form, costing him Brisbane’s No.1 jumper for the 2006 grand final.

Instead, the then 19-year-old lined up on the wing, as Brisbane went on to upset a Melbourne Storm outfit – boasting the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith – who had lost just three times that year.

Hunt said the “challenge just motivated everyone to go to another level, and it instigated a fierce focus leading into that week”.

Now, the Broncos of 2023 face a similar threat: a side of just four players older than 25, with two grand finalists, taking on a Penrith Panthers unit who have lost just 15 games in four seasons.

However, Hunt was adamant the injection of Walsh in his old jersey posed the greatest test to the two-time defending champions’ reign.

“He’s got the ability to break this game wide open, and I think he understands that ... he’s as locked in as I’ve seen any player,” Hunt said.

“His speed is something that you can’t coach and teach. You’re constantly under pressure as a defensive line.

“You can be connected as one line, you can go up and jam him, you can have all the tactics you want, but if he’s getting the ball in the right spots and getting outside defenders … he’s making you pay.”

Walsh’s flair has brought out the best in his teammates, topping the competition for line break assists (37) and sitting third for try assists (25).

While he has led the league for errors (50), Hunt – who now coaches Souths Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup – believed the Maroons star’s ability to adapt so quickly was a mindset rarely seen.

Five minutes after throwing an intercept for Warriors winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak in the preliminary final, his decision to hold his pass fooled the Kiwi and put Herbie Farnworth over to score.

“I don’t think it’s common, if it was, there would be more Reece Walshes on the paddock. Fearless: in a way that sums him up,” Hunt said.

“He understands his capabilities, he knows his limitations, and he learns his lesson pretty quickly and isn’t afraid to chance his arm.

“With the pace and the fearlessness he plays his football, mistakes will be there, but he’s becoming mature enough now to adjust on the fly and pull it back when things are going awry.

“I don’t think you want to coach that out of him, you want him to take the game on. If anything, he’ll get his hands on the ball more often in different spots than he is and be more of a handful.”

Walsh proved against the Warriors that the grander the arena, the more he rose to the occasion. His six line break assists, four try assists and 146 running metres showed that.

And the youngster refused to be conservative, regardless of the threat Penrith posed.

“The team needs me to do my job, so there’s no point sitting back, biting my tongue. Those things are going to happen, it’s my job to chance my hand,” Walsh said.

“It’s just finding the right areas to do it. We don’t fear them, we know the brand of footy that we can play.”

Brisbane Times

National treasure and Brisbane Broncos' number one fan, Peter V'Landy's:

“Reece is only young but he can certainly be the face of the game. He reminds me of Andrew Ettingshausen. Walsh has the looks and he has the charisma, but most importantly, he has the brilliance and it’s something other players would love to have. What can you say about Reece Walsh, there are people who buy tickets just to watch him and his brilliance. Someone like him comes along once in a generation. Every time he touches the ball, people stand up out of their seats. I haven’t seen someone like him for a very long time."​
“We’re taking rugby league to Vegas next year and Reece Walsh can certainly become well known to an international audience.”​

“It’s a dream come true for us as a game to see the Broncos winning again. You want the Broncos and Queensland rugby league powerful. For us, we couldn’t have orchestrated this any better, the rise of the Broncos is a marketing manager’s dream really. The Broncos are the entertainers of the NRL. The reason we chose them to play in Vegas next season is they have that glamour club status, but they also play an entertaining style of football. If you want to promote the game in America, you have to take a team that entertains and the Broncos do just that."​
“Reece Walsh is at the heart of it – he has the acceleration and football brain, he is one of those dynamic players that you simply admire.”​

Walsh:

“I just love playing footy and whatever comes off the back of it comes off the back of it. I can only control what I can control, that’s how I think of it.”​
"No, I'm not the most popular Bronco, that's Patty Carrigan. The adulation is all a bit different from where I come from. My name wasn’t getting called too much when I was younger in the right ways, so it is pretty pleasing and I am honoured to hear the kids calling my name and looking up to someone like me. It’s pretty cool to see the position I’m in. It’s pretty crazy getting this attention, but this club and the people in our four walls, we all keep each other accountable, myself included. The Broncos make it easier for me to focus on footy and try and be the best footballer I can be. I am pleased to now be in a fortunate spot where I can be that light for kids.”​

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Spoon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrMoore
  • Midean
  • Lostboy
  • LittleDavey
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Financeguy
  • Emanon
  • Manofoneway
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fatboy
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.