OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

If TMM is in their spine next year why wouldn’t they want him early? Any game time helps him gel with the side.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Unless the Warriors haven't offered him a contract? Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of glad because I think TMM deserves a shot at our likely finals games but it just seems odd.

If TMM is in their spine next year why wouldn’t they want him early? Any game time helps him gel with the side.

for a start he hasn't signed a contract with them yet.

secondly TMM may not want to go just yet. he may want a shot at playing finals (which he has earned), the Warriors may also feel right now it is beneficial for these reasons to stay with us.

thirdly, we may not want to lose him for depth reasons

I thought Walsh was pretty good last night. He’s got all the skills and is quite a smart and instinctive player but his size seems to really betray him. He gets himself in the right positions but he gets steamrolled in defence and manhandled in attack.

You wouldn’t want to bulk him up too much or he’ll lose his agility - and we’ve seen what that did to Barba and Milf. It’s a difficult balance. He’s still really young so he’ll likely fill out more naturally.

I’m not comparing the 2 but I see a lot of similarities in Walsh’s game to young Slater. Similar height/size, similar running style and the way they want to be involved with everything. Would love for Billy to do some fullback coaching of Walsh over the offseason.

I thought Walsh was pretty good last night. He’s got all the skills and is quite a smart and instinctive player but his size seems to really betray him. He gets himself in the right positions but he gets steamrolled in defence and manhandled in attack.

You wouldn’t want to bulk him up too much or he’ll lose his agility - and we’ve seen what that did to Barba and Milf. It’s a difficult balance. He’s still really young so he’ll likely fill out more naturally.

I’m not comparing the 2 but I see a lot of similarities in Walsh’s game to young Slater. Similar height/size, similar running style and the way they want to be involved with everything. Would love for Billy to do some fullback coaching of Walsh over the offseason.
Didn't watch the game but from the ones I've seen this year his defence is really troubling. Unlike (insert any Bronco here) he's invariably first in the kick chase, and there in cover, but gets routinely wrong footed or barged over. I'd like to think, given it's not about effort, we can improve on that, but our track record of training fullbacks to tackle hasn't been great.

Didn't watch the game but from the ones I've seen this year his defence is really troubling. Unlike (insert any Bronco here) he's invariably first in the kick chase, and there in cover, but gets routinely wrong footed or barged over. I'd like to think, given it's not about effort, we can improve on that, but our track record of training fullbacks to tackle hasn't been great.
Yeah he is almost always in the right spot at the right time - which is great. He has a lot of trouble actually executing an effective tackle though.
A lot of fullbacks aren’t amazing at tackling and you’re only expected to do it 3-6 times per game. It is far more important for a fullback to be able to organise the defence and defuse kicks - which he is pretty talented at for his age. Hopefully with more practice and size he will get bumped off less.

Certainly still very much a work in progress, but he at least appears to have a football brain and has a good feel for the game. A few errors last night but some very nice touches as well.

You can't help but think a Brisbane structure, will suit his RL growth to a tee.

He was impressive last night. The biggest advantage he has over Tesi is he isn’t afraid and he’s confident. He’ll take risks and keep coming even if he makes a mistake.

I like the comparison to Slater, I can see it.

Obviously anything can happen but we have a young Slaterish 1, a JTish 6 and a Smithish 9 coming through.

Certainly still very much a work in progress, but he at least appears to have a football brain and has a good feel for the game. A few errors last night but some very nice touches as well.

You can't help but think a Brisbane structure, will suit his RL growth to a tee.

And the added % that comes from loving the club. He says himself he basically bleeds Bronco.

What I like about Walsh is his competitiveness .
He`s like a fox terrier thinking he can out alpha a Mastiff. Tries things that most players wouldn`t .
Because of his willingness to try outrageous things, he and his team mates fck up executing regularly . Doesn`t make him go into his shell though. Just tries again . Which is super ballsy .

Time and experience will help him make better choices . He def has weapons . Choosing which one and when is now his challenge .

A guy like Papenhuyzen is very small for a fullback, but is still a good enough defender because of some of his techniques.

He'll look to hold up the ball rather than trying to hold up the player... and in 1v1 situations after a linebreak he'll just go for the legs tackle rather than risk getting bumped off.

I feel like Reece is smart enough to figure out the defensive positioning and organisation already... as well as being vocal enough to communicate well with the defensive line, but I'd say it's only really his small size that has been a liability for him so far in defence.

Thats a great starting point for a fullback coming through and if he can get his tackling techniques sorted out I can see him being a very good all round fullback and a possible leader for us in the future.

What I like about Walsh is his competitiveness .
He`s like a fox terrier thinking he can out alpha a Mastiff. Tries things that most players wouldn`t .
Because of his willingness to try outrageous things, he and his team mates fck up executing regularly . Doesn`t make him go into his shell though. Just tries again . Which is super ballsy .

Time and experience will help him make better choices . He def has weapons . Choosing which one and when is now his challenge .
I like this too, as long as he doesn't go rogue and ignore the gameplan like Lodge.

Walsh vs Bulldogs, 4 tackles attempted, 2 made, 1 missed, 1 ineffective
Tesi vs Roosters, 4 tackles attempted, 2 made, 2 missed

Fans just getting carried away with the Warriors big win, defensively there's nothing between them

Walsh vs Bulldogs, 4 tackles attempted, 2 made, 1 missed, 1 ineffective
Tesi vs Roosters, 4 tackles attempted, 2 made, 2 missed

Fans just getting carried away with the Warriors big win, defensively there's nothing between them
Stats don't show you **** all, it can look better for a player if they are not even in position to make a tackle.

Stats don't show you **** all, it can look better for a player if they are not even in position to make a tackle.
Exactly! Some of the plays from niu were atrocious against roosters, he was caught out of position constantly

Ahh yes, the Darius Boyd effect. You don't get missed tackles when you're standing on the other side of the field appealing the ref because it's unfair.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.