Walters challenges Milford to rise to greatness

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters has challenged Anthony Milford to prove he can be the long-term successor to Johnathan Thurston, telling the Maroons debutant: “Now it’s up to you.”

With the injured Thurston rated virtually no hope of playing Origin I, Milford is on the cusp of his Queensland debut before 52,000 fans in the series opener on Wednesday week at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos sensation was named in the No. 6 jumper, with Thurston relegated to 18th man in a clear sign the champion pivot is losing the battle to play his 37th consecutive Origin game.

Milford’s call-up shapes as Queensland’s most enthralling playmaking baptism in 30 years, after a tiny 68kg rookie from Ipswich named Allan Langer was thrown into the Lang Park cauldron in 1987.

Walters and Langer forged the greatest scrumbase alliance in Broncos history and the Maroons coach has urged Milford to produce the type of Origin debut that made “Alfie” a Queensland icon.

“It’s up to Anthony to deliver now,” Walters said.

“We’ll provide the support to get him ready for the game. But now it’s up to Anthony ... he has all the talent in the world and he gets the chance to show it on the big stage.

“Milf is similar to Alf. They are both little blokes, although Milf has about 20kg on Alf.

“His personality is similar to Alf’s as well. When the footy is on, he likes to play and when it’s not on, he likes to relax and not take things too seriously.

“I just want him to have a good week and get ready for the game of his life.”

Upon receiving the phone call from Walters, an elated Milford began ringing Broncos teammates to ask what he needed to bring to Camp Maroon.

“He was very excited,” Walters said. “The great part of our system in the QRL is that Anthony has played under-20s for us, he’s been in our Emerging Origin system and now he gets his opportunity to do his stuff on the big stage.”

Thurston entered Camp Maroon on Monday night, but he is expected to succumb to a shoulder injury in the coming days.

That will clear the path for Milford, rated Queensland’s most prodigious talent since Thurston, to take an embryonic step in what Walters hopes will be a march to Origin greatness.

There is a view Milford, at 176cm and 90kg, could be targeted by the NSW forwards but Walters scoffed at suggestions the Maroons tyro would be defensively exposed.

“I wouldn’t put him in that position if we felt he was vulnerable,” he said.

“I am excited about the week that lies ahead for Anthony. Dropping him into that six jersey which has been worn by some famous people ... he just needed an opportunity to get into the side and that has arrived for him.

“We are preparing to play the game without ‘JT’ (Thurston). We realise his importance to Queensland and his importance to the Cowboys as well.

“We have to be smart around the decisions with Johnathan. I would like to see him available for games two and three rather than game one.

“We don’t want to put his shoulder and the rest of his body in the firing line of an Origin series.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i/news-story/cb8aecff29910b0a70f31a525d99f8ed

This is the most excited I've been about an Origin for a while. Milf's first game! I wonder how much Milford being in the team influenced the decision to play Darb's at fullback over Billy.

Always a lot of conjecture on here about how Milf would go to a new level with the right halfback. I know its a tough gig, but never gonna get a better opportunity to shine than when he's got Cronk and Smith orchestrating and he can just chime in when the moments are there. Hopefully he's not overawed by it all and the moment just flies by. I don't agree with comments that he's not ready for origin, I don't think he could ask for a better time.... playing at home, first game which is generally a tight affair anyway, and still playing with the master puppeteers. Regardless of the game outcome, Thurston will be back for the rest of the series, so as long as Milf has no major **** ups he'll be better for the experience, and ready to step in fully when Thurston retires.

I dont think he should've been picked or was ready, but given he'll almost certainly play, give em hell kid.

Milford is going to go awesome. What better place to debut then Suncorp Game 1. He has Boyd at fullback and his best mate big Papa protecting his blind side, along with Gillett, McGuire & Oates all in the team he will be feeling very comfortable. The service from Smith and Cronk will be like nothing he's ever had at Raiders, Brisbane or Samoa. Won't know himself.

Kevvy, Locky & Miles the QLD selectors all have a vested interest in the Broncos, they won't want to mess around with us. And Wayne would never want NSW to win, so won't be trying to undermine Kevvy. Everyone's paranoia is unwarranted imo.

Whilst it would be almost unprecedented to pick someone at 6 and then play the 18th man instead of him, in the hypothetical situation that it occurs, I womder what the effect on Milford's confidence would be?

Milford is going to go awesome. What better place to debut then Suncorp Game 1. He has Boyd at fullback and his best mate big Papa protecting his blind side, along with Gillett, McGuire & Oates all in the team he will be feeling very comfortable. The service from Smith and Cronk will be like nothing he's ever had at Raiders, Brisbane or Samoa. Won't know himself.

Kevvy, Locky & Miles the QLD selectors all have a vested interest in the Broncos, they won't want to mess around with us. And Wayne would never want NSW to win, so won't be trying to undermine Kevvy. Everyone's paranoia is unwarranted imo.
I had completely forgotten about him playing alongside papa previously and from the same area too.

I was originally worried but the points you make do seem like this is the best time for him to debut.

It's also not like he hasn't been in big games before and risen to the occasion... not just the gf where he was easily best on ground, but also the derbies against cows which have become the toughest and most hyped club games nowadays.

Whilst it would be almost unprecedented to pick someone at 6 and then play the 18th man instead of him, in the hypothetical situation that it occurs, I womder what the effect on Milford's confidence would be?
I'd say minimal... JT is a legend of the game and he knows he's there as a 6 or nothing.

The experience will do him wonders and getting picked now basically means he will get to experience the whole origin camp with us having byes on the other two. He also knows that he is well placed as the next long term half for Queensland which should give him huge confidence coming back for broncos

QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters has challenged Anthony Milford to prove he can be the long-term successor to Johnathan Thurston, telling the Maroons debutant: “Now it’s up to you.”

With the injured Thurston rated virtually no hope of playing Origin I, Milford is on the cusp of his Queensland debut before 52,000 fans in the series opener on Wednesday week at Suncorp Stadium.

The Broncos sensation was named in the No. 6 jumper, with Thurston relegated to 18th man in a clear sign the champion pivot is losing the battle to play his 37th consecutive Origin game.

Milford’s call-up shapes as Queensland’s most enthralling playmaking baptism in 30 years, after a tiny 68kg rookie from Ipswich named Allan Langer was thrown into the Lang Park cauldron in 1987.

Walters and Langer forged the greatest scrumbase alliance in Broncos history and the Maroons coach has urged Milford to produce the type of Origin debut that made “Alfie” a Queensland icon.

“It’s up to Anthony to deliver now,” Walters said.

“We’ll provide the support to get him ready for the game. But now it’s up to Anthony ... he has all the talent in the world and he gets the chance to show it on the big stage.

“Milf is similar to Alf. They are both little blokes, although Milf has about 20kg on Alf.

“His personality is similar to Alf’s as well. When the footy is on, he likes to play and when it’s not on, he likes to relax and not take things too seriously.

“I just want him to have a good week and get ready for the game of his life.”

Upon receiving the phone call from Walters, an elated Milford began ringing Broncos teammates to ask what he needed to bring to Camp Maroon.

“He was very excited,” Walters said. “The great part of our system in the QRL is that Anthony has played under-20s for us, he’s been in our Emerging Origin system and now he gets his opportunity to do his stuff on the big stage.”

Thurston entered Camp Maroon on Monday night, but he is expected to succumb to a shoulder injury in the coming days.

That will clear the path for Milford, rated Queensland’s most prodigious talent since Thurston, to take an embryonic step in what Walters hopes will be a march to Origin greatness.

There is a view Milford, at 176cm and 90kg, could be targeted by the NSW forwards but Walters scoffed at suggestions the Maroons tyro would be defensively exposed.

“I wouldn’t put him in that position if we felt he was vulnerable,” he said.

“I am excited about the week that lies ahead for Anthony. Dropping him into that six jersey which has been worn by some famous people ... he just needed an opportunity to get into the side and that has arrived for him.

“We are preparing to play the game without ‘JT’ (Thurston). We realise his importance to Queensland and his importance to the Cowboys as well.

“We have to be smart around the decisions with Johnathan. I would like to see him available for games two and three rather than game one.

“We don’t want to put his shoulder and the rest of his body in the firing line of an Origin series.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i/news-story/cb8aecff29910b0a70f31a525d99f8ed
LOL

Can the 18th man play, unless someone is injured?

I thought Kevvie had to name JT at 6, and if he isn't fit, the 19th man comes in - not the other way round

I thought Kevvie had to name JT at 6, and if he isn't fit, the 19th man comes in - not the other way round

Like in the NRL, the 18th man can replace anyone in the 17 and play provided they are named.

Does anybody really believe hes playing ?

Even if he doesn't, the week in camp will do him some good.

He has already been picking Thurston's brain and taking tips to implement into his game for the Broncos. Also learning off Cronk and Smith.

This is what I read online a couple of days ago, not word for word, but the sentiment was the same - If Thurston was named in the 6 jersey then QLD would've had to either declare him fit or rule him out by Friday this week to allow Milford to leave camp and play for the Broncos, by naming him in the 18 jersey they've bought themselves 5 extra days to try and get Thurston fit by Wednesday, if he's not, they've had Milford in camp the entire time and ready to go.

I don't think that's accurate in 2017 though, with the new 21 man squads system for the club sides, even if Milford was released on Friday he wouldn't be allowed to play for the Broncos on Saturday because he wasn't named in our 21. I dunno, the entire thing just feels like mind games to me, I think Walters already knows who's starting at Five-Eighth for QLD, either Thurston is 100% playing and the Milford thing is a **** you to Bennett or Thurston is 100% not playing and naming him at 18 was mind-games to mess with NSW.

This is what I read online a couple of days ago, not word for word, but the sentiment was the same - If Thurston was named in the 6 jersey then QLD would've had to either declare him fit or rule him out by Friday this week to allow Milford to leave camp and play for the Broncos, by naming him in the 18 jersey they've bought themselves 5 extra days to try and get Thurston fit by Wednesday, if he's not, they've had Milford in camp the entire time and ready to go.

I don't think that's accurate in 2017 though, with the new 21 man squads system for the club sides, even if Milford was released on Friday he wouldn't be allowed to play for the Broncos on Saturday because he wasn't named in our 21. I dunno, the entire thing just feels like mind games to me, I think Walters already knows who's starting at Five-Eighth for QLD, either Thurston is 100% playing and the Milford thing is a **** you to Bennett or Thurston is 100% not playing and naming him at 18 was mind-games to mess with NSW.

He spoke with Bennett before picking Milf, so surely Johno is a long shot? Kevvie is in the frame for Bronx coach when Wayne retires, I don't think it's a wise move to intentionally **** Wayne and the club over for the fun of it.

I don't think it would have any effect on his confidence.

Milford has gone into camp knowing there is a huge question mark on whether he will play or not. He knows he could be dropped at the last minute for Thurston.

He is preparing like he is playing, and trying to learn as much as he can off Thurston and Cronk to bring back to the Broncos. He would obviously be disappointed but I don't think he'll suffer a confidence blow.

In regards to the new 21 man squads. If a player isn't named in the 21 man squad they can't play that round.

Unless, the club applies for and is granted a special exemption from the NRL.

Earlier this year one of the clubs attempted gain that exemption when they signed a player mid week after the team was named on Tuesday. The nrl ruled that wasnt special enough to warrant the overturn.

Will this case be special enough? Time will tell.

Active Now

• Santa
  • BroncoFan94
  • Skathen
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrMoore
  • Bronx48
  • NSW stables
  • Harry Sack
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • HVbronco
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.