NEWS Walters' credibility past tipping point

In the aftermatch of a botched PR campaign responding to reports of "mixed messaging," beseiged Brisbane coach Kevin Walters is back on the grill for habitual backflipping and "blatant lying."

Brent Read says the Broncos will be chipping in close to $1.5 million to get Mathew Lodge off the books, 50% higher than earlier reports. Two days before, Walters said:

“Lodge will be staying here. We just need to get some security, some safety around the players on their futures and that’s the decision we’ve made. The uncertainty was probably one of the factors among the playing group and who’s staying, who’s going, so we put it in a basket and put it to the side. No one’s going anywhere, we’re going to finish the season in a positive note, in a good note, in a winning note.”

Dave Donaghy is now in damage control:

“Stability is important for our squad and our club but so too is making the right decisions for the long-term, and sometimes those decisions aren’t easy. There have been conversations since the back end of last year with regard to Matthew’s future at the club from both sides."

"There was no real viable option at any point up until the last 48 hours. Last week the guys had the bye with the rep weekend, they have all come back in and as all coaches do and should, Kevvie has wrapped an arm around his players and put a position forward based off the question he was asked which was absolutely accurate at that point."

“Following that there were a number of conversations that happened and changed the goalposts, which can often happen in rugby league happen quickly.”

McHunt

I don’t really care what the media thinks of Kev, or how silly he looks. I just want to start winning games.

I do wonder how often DD and now Ikin must facepalm when Kev fronts the media.

I don’t really care what the media thinks of Kev, or how silly he looks. I just want to start winning games.

I worry that his poor communication skills mirror his coaching. Bennett was comically evasive but you always knew he had the players backs and there was a bigger picture at play. Plus he was winning. I'm not getting that with Kevvie. It's starting to look like bumbling in front of the press, bumbling in front of the players. I say this with great pain.

TL,DR Media has hurt feelings and have applied a 50% dobbobux tax to all salary discussions moving forward.
It's not that they have "hurt feelings" it's that they've been giving him the benefit of the doubt to date. That's seen us plummet to the bottom of the table with little sign we're in any better position than this time last year. The media report what they see, and what they're seeing is jading their opinion of Kevvie. When the media turns on a coach, and his team keeps losing, he ends up out of a job.

I worry that his poor communication skills mirror his coaching. Bennett was comically evasive but you always knew he had the players backs and there was a bigger picture at play. Plus he was winning. I'm not getting that with Kevvie. It's starting to look like bumbling in front of the press, bumbling in front of the players. I say this with great pain.

Yeah man, I'm with ya. It really pains me too but hey, if Kevvie has unwillingly or unknowingly become a toxic element to the point he has lost the media, the players and a number of fans, you'd think the writing might be on the wall.

It's not that they have "hurt feelings" it's that they've been giving him the benefit of the doubt to date. That's seen us plummet to the bottom of the table with little sign we're in any better position than this time last year. The media report what they see, and what they're seeing is jading their opinion of Kevvie. When the media turns on a coach, and his team keeps losing, he ends up out of a job.
Plummet from the bottom of the table to the... ahhh... bottom of the table 🤔🤔🤔

Yeah Bennett would constantly bullshit but he’d do it with his trademark smirk and spoke with confidence. You trusted that he was playing the media for fools when needed. Kev seems to just ramble on.

if he is anything like that when not in front of the camera it would be a nightmare to judge where you stood or what was planned.

I do like Kev but I am concerned that his coaching ability or lack of, is somewhat masked by the fact he literally has no where further to fall.

Kinda feel sorry for him, seems like hes not completely in the loop. I doubt he’s deliberately lying

to save face, Kevvie should drop the whole “He Will Be staying” and just start using phrases like

“I’m hoping he stays”

surely someone in the pr department can make up some generic quotes that don’t undermine him both as a coach and an individual.

Wouldn't they tell Kevvie to zip it if they were worried about it , maybe they're all on board with it.

It's ok pete if you're a little butt hurt .

Wouldn't they tell Kevvie to zip it if they were worried about it , maybe they're all on board with it.
Maybe they have? Maybe they told Kev to stop commenting and his attempt to not comment was the awkward ‘not going anywhere put it in a basket to the side’ presser.

Kinda feel sorry for him, seems like hes not completely in the loop. I doubt he’s deliberately lying

to save face, Kevvie should drop the whole “He Will Be staying” and just start using phrases like

“I’m hoping he stays”

surely someone in the pr department can make up some generic quotes that don’t undermine him both as a coach and an individual.
But this is the thing that media defenders like McHunt don’t get,
even if he does that the media will just spin it to suit there agenda. If he says “I hope he will stay” the story just becomes that Kevvie has no say at the club, dead man walking etc. etc. People like Badel and Read are bottom feeding scumbags who don’t deserve employment, let alone defending.

I try to look beyond whatever narrative the media are spinning, because they have generally moved beyond reporting facts to the much easier "opinion pieces" and I dont believe they are qualified enough for their opinions to mean a whole lot given they have a requirement to generate interest and revenue for their boss... no issue with that everyone has to do it, but it doesnt mean i have to care or be persuaded to believe what they are spruiking

You have suggested that once you lose the media you generally lose your job as a coach (which is a line that has been played out on 360 over the last couple weeks, specific to Brisbane media)... so regardless of what happens now the media will be looking to white ant the coach, because they are sick of reporting on contradictions (likely because it brings their own credibility down).... so that would be the kind of narrative I look to avoid getting sucked into... and it would appear the media is looking to shift the blame to save face... "look people it's Kevvie that is all over the place... not us.... but also we're hearing that tigers are ready to table an offer to TPJ, but they weren't interested 2 days ago and may lose interest again tomorrow... at least according to my sauces".

Fox spend 90% their time "reporting" comments from their own commentators that have been televised on their own programs and the rest reporting rumours from "sources close to xyz" which is likely just repeating whatever a player manager wants them to report whether it's factual or not.

I like that you provide quotes of the article of which I can make my own opinion 👍👍

But this is the thing that media defenders like McHunt don’t get,
even if he does that the media will just spin it to suit there agenda. If he says “I hope he will stay” the story just becomes that Kevvie has no say at the club, dead man walking etc. etc. People like Badel and Read are bottom feeding scumbags who don’t deserve employment, let alone defending.
Is there anyone you're not angry at?

The media can get fkd. Happens everyday in the NRL.
KW doesn't have to tell them when he last took a shit. For all we know, Ikin & Donuts could have done this as they're the one's now looking after the roster;
What about when the media blatantly lie? They seem to be able to get away with it, hypocrites.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.