NEWS Walters' credibility past tipping point

In the aftermatch of a botched PR campaign responding to reports of "mixed messaging," beseiged Brisbane coach Kevin Walters is back on the grill for habitual backflipping and "blatant lying."

Brent Read says the Broncos will be chipping in close to $1.5 million to get Mathew Lodge off the books, 50% higher than earlier reports. Two days before, Walters said:

“Lodge will be staying here. We just need to get some security, some safety around the players on their futures and that’s the decision we’ve made. The uncertainty was probably one of the factors among the playing group and who’s staying, who’s going, so we put it in a basket and put it to the side. No one’s going anywhere, we’re going to finish the season in a positive note, in a good note, in a winning note.”

Dave Donaghy is now in damage control:

“Stability is important for our squad and our club but so too is making the right decisions for the long-term, and sometimes those decisions aren’t easy. There have been conversations since the back end of last year with regard to Matthew’s future at the club from both sides."

"There was no real viable option at any point up until the last 48 hours. Last week the guys had the bye with the rep weekend, they have all come back in and as all coaches do and should, Kevvie has wrapped an arm around his players and put a position forward based off the question he was asked which was absolutely accurate at that point."

“Following that there were a number of conversations that happened and changed the goalposts, which can often happen in rugby league happen quickly.”

McHunt

But this is the thing that media defenders like McHunt don’t get,
even if he does that the media will just spin it to suit there agenda. If he says “I hope he will stay” the story just becomes that Kevvie has no say at the club, dead man walking etc. etc. People like Badel and Read are bottom feeding scumbags who don’t deserve employment, let alone defending.

Badel is actually lower than a bottom feeding scumbag, havent got a clue what you would call him. I had very little time for the bloke, didnt think my opinion of him could go any lower, but it has.

Badel is actually lower than a bottom feeding scumbag, havent got a clue what you would call him. I had very little time for the bloke, didnt think my opinion of him could go any lower, but it has.

206656076 1449882008704629 4759674003835590075 n

Needs to have a chat to his stylist or at least look in the fucking mirror before going on TV.

I'd say Carrigan, Haas and Pommy Centre have been pretty loyal and appreciative of what they have. Turpin too.

I stasnd corrected, you are 100% right on Farn and Haas. Those guys have the DNA of a winning Broncos team.

Jury is still out on Carrigan for me.

The only reason he has such a massive fanbase is his uncanny ability to predict the future. I wonder if he's a time traveler?

I took two things away from this.

1 - the press read BHQ forums.

2 - They are correct.

Its one thing to play mind games with the media and give them enough to make a story, but not enough to hang you on (Bennett) and another thing altogether to consistently and repeatedly publicly declare stuff just to have the complete opposite happen shortly after.

I too have lost any faith in Kev when it comes to anything he says in the press, and really hope he knows what he is doing behind the scenes.

There has been a handful of posters in here that have been wanting Kev to shut up in the press over the past few months because of his bumbling manner and his constant contradictions as it not only makes him look the fool, its makes the club look like amateurs.

Think about it.

Kev has become a meme even in here.
We all joke and have a laugh about Kev when he says a player is staying, we know they are leaving and vice versa.
Didn't both ikin and DD say that the lodge situation was one that changed overnight , they thought he was staying then the situation changed because the warriors increased their offer.

Four of those that left Kev told the media were staying, including one of them being the future of the club.
If he is fucking with the media, he is also fucking with Broncos supporters.
The point is there's some of us that simply don't care what KW says, we care about what is happening. The player movements under KW, DD and BI, are overall very good. KW could tell the press the opposite for as long as he likes as long as these positive roster changes keep actually happening

The point is there's some of us that simply don't care what KW says, we care about what is happening. The player movements under KW, DD and BI, are overall very good. KW could tell the press the opposite for as long as he likes as long as these positive roster changes keep actually happening
Yea i suppose.
Just wish he didn't look the fool while doing it.
Makes the club look really amateurish imo.

Storm/Roosters seem to be able to recruit and move players without making their coach look like a clown.

Agree mostly, but the daily flipflopping has eroded his credibility across the board.

It started with what looked like him baiting and switching Dearden and Croft early in the season. Some thought that was a prank on the press. Which was kind of funny, if true, but you can only do that so often before it looks vindicative. And the last thing a coach needs is to nurture a toxic relationship with the press. It's like picking a fight with your mother-in-law. But I don't think that's him. He has an amiable relationship with the press, but they're starting to critique his craft. Which is their job. Fair game.

As the season went on, the Croft/Dearden switch looked less like a prank and more like indecision. Regardless that he's been juggling too many roles and his roster stinks. He's where the buck stops.

A couple of wins, heck even one, and the wind will swing direction. But if the losses continue, it's going to be a bumpy ride to September. Welcome to the main stage, grasshopper.

If we beat the sharks I’m sure all will be forgotten.

Active Now

• Spooky1013
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosAlways
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.