NEWS Walters does not name his halves

I have to vehemently disagree on this. You cannot tell me that Locky in his prime would have made zero difference to how this side performed in the last two years? Or Andrew Johns, or Wally Lewis, etc.

I am afraid Milford is not an organising half and never has been. He is also lazy and drifts in and out of games. Some games he never actually drifts in.
Even JT couldn’t save the cowboys for almost a decade, until he had a decent coach and team around him.

Even JT couldn’t save the cowboys for almost a decade, until he had a decent coach and team around him.
2005 - GF
2006 - 9th
2007 - 3rd
2008 - 15th
2009 - 12th
2010 - 15th
2011 - 7th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 8th
2014 - 5th
2015 - GF winner

They had a poor three years from 2008 to 2010, but I wouldn't say a decade.

Sorry, but there is a monumental difference between still regularly being the biggest contributor in a side that is battling for season after season and a guy like Milford who frequently contributes less than anyone else, including actual rookies, whether the team is going well or not.

Joey played in some shit Knights teams. RTS has played almost his whole career in a shit team. JT was instrumental in turning the Cowboys into great team and they were successful far more often than not during his time there. These guys are not even remotely close to Milford and Milford frankly shouldn’t even be in the conversation.

Last edited:
I have to vehemently disagree on this. You cannot tell me that Locky in his prime would have made zero difference to how this side performed in the last two years? Or Andrew Johns, or Wally Lewis, etc.

I am afraid Milford is not an organising half and never has been. He is also lazy and drifts in and out of games. Some games he never actually drifts in.
@rnabokov, this is the only point from our earlier discussion that I think provides any real opportunity to discuss any further, as the rest very subjective, both yours and mine.

Closing out games is absolutely, 100% Milford’s job. When we are 20mins out and up to our eyeballs in a game, that’s when the good players take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick to corners, control the speed of the game, control where the other team plays from and when.

And sure, we haven’t been in too many situations like that lately (the 2020 Sharks springs straight to mind though), but when we are, Milford kicks midfield bomb after midfield bomb. It isn’t even close to good enough and confirms he hasn’t learnt anything about game management after almost 200 first grade games, which strongly suggests he never will.

Exactly right. He’s been a really good player at times, but had plenty of times where you could easily be forgiven for not realising he’d even been there. Not a lot of million dollar players you could say that about. There are no genuinely great players you could really say that about.

That’s where the buck stops with Milford. He has enough God given talent that he’ll be successful at times and who knows, he may even win a comp one day, plenty of less than great players do.

He won’t ever be a great player, a truely great player though. For that you need drive, determination, a will to win and a selflessness in your performance that is not only not visible in Milford right now, it has NEVER been part of who he is as a player, so it would be naive in the extreme to expect that this will change one day. He’s mid career these days, the time for all this to change is probably almost past him. I don’t see it happening though. He’ll almost certainly finish as one of those guys who was good, but could have been incredible if he’d ever been bothered to do it.

Who knows, maybe it won’t even bother him to retire one day and sit back and look at just the 2018 Broncos POTY trophy on his mantelpiece for the rest of his days.

Last edited:
Dearden is either leaving, or in Trouble for going to NQ. Either option, I’m glad he’s been sat down. its about time we start putting these KIDS in their place.

Last edited:
Dearden is either leaving, or in Trouble for going to NQ. Either option, I’m glad he’s been sat down. its about time we start putting these KIDS in their place.

You mean...the naughty chair?

Honestly, you’re probably right.

Now if he could just do it more than once a season that’d be simply delightful.

And given the team's spotty results, its trajectory, or more, precisely, downwards spiral over the last 4 years, I hope the same for the team

Milford was NEVER bought as an organising half.

For mine, our decline is in very large part that we failed to replace Hunt with a decent game manager, and that Macca proved unable to achieve that role.

Worse still, we find ourselves again in the same position, unless Turpin shows me that side to his game I haven't seen yet.

Comparing Milford to Wally, Lockyer, Johns, JT, CS9 is for me is apples and oranges, and as an explanation of our decline, and his, misses the point.

Personal opinions / arguments aside, I’d like to think we all hope for that mate 👍

My view based on the past, our history as it were, and the present state of our team, particularly the fact we still haven't recruited a quality organising playmaker, we are gonna be pushing shit uphill, starting with the Eels.

We will start out well until the Eels turn up the heat and we will crash and burn unless someone in this side stands up and controls the team's attitude, direction, calls the plays and pulls it all together. I seriously hope that special someone is in this side.

A team cannot play organised football unless there is an organising principle as it were around which that organisation is built. I don't see that yet (which is why I wanted CS9 to sign with us irrespective of the jaundice a lot of us show him)

As well, Walters has an enormous amount of work to do to reverse a culture of decline that has been escalating over the last 4 years say, and culminating with the spoon last year. It's a deep hole. I hope there is a rope, and that it doesn't turn into a noose.

Last edited:
As well, Walters has an enormous amount of work to do to reverse a culture of decline that has been escalating over the last 4 years say, and culminating with the spoon last year. It's a deep hole. I hope there is a rope, and that it doesn't turn into a noose.
Mostly agree with all your thoughts on this page mate, re: Walters though I can't really think of a better person to come in and change the culture. Last year would be a massive kick in the pants for the entire playing group and gives him absolute carte blanche to kick heads as well as massage the bruised and broken players and get them to believe in themselves again. I don't think there's a premiership in our near future but I do expect a marked improvement on the last year or two.

Media is literally a shit show... is every other club so irrelevant to their earnings that they plan on doing a running commentary on every single training session and then creating explosive headlines

Screenshot 20210304 114349 Chrome

I'm seriously just not going to click on any articles anyone does on the Broncos.

I'll look to utilise other sources so they dont see the clicks

Last edited:
Media is literally a shit show... is every other club so irrelevant to their earnings that they plan on doing a running commentary on every single training session and then creating explosive headlines

View attachment 11637

I'm seriously just not going to click on any articles anyone does on the Broncos.

I'll look to utilise other sources so they dont see the clicks
Do what I do, read everything through Reddit. **** newscorp, they ain't getting my clicks where I can avoid it.

We need a Reddit thread where we post all the best subs/etc.

I’m fairly new to it and love it, but so hard to filter the good from the trash.
Do it. Good idea.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Robboi_321
  • broncos4life
  • bert_lifts
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  • Professor47
  • cento
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Culhwch
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.