NEWS Walters' record compares with early Broncos: Maranta

BHQArticleImageLarge128

Founding Brisbane Broncos chairman Barry Maranta has hit out at critics of coach Kevin Walters and says his first four seasons at the helm compare favourably with the initial four years of the club.

Walters has been savaged for missing finals for the third time in four seasons under his stewardship but founding coach Wayne Bennett had the same record from 1988-1991 before winning the first of his six titles.

"When we targeted Bennett we gave him five years to get us into a grand final. The team we delivered for him initially was a virtual State of Origin side," Maranta told AAP.

"We got into a grand final and won it (in 1992) in the fifth year.

"What I want to point out is that Kevin has had four years as coach and got us into a grand final in the third (in 2023) without the playing staff that we had then. No other Broncos coach has done that.

"The expectations have got quite stupid and the critics want to crucify Kevvie but people that don't understand history go off on a tangent and it doesn't help in any way."

Walters has been the subject of an online newspaper poll where the majority of respondents said he should be sacked. That won't happen as the club CEO Dave Donaghy has publicly stated. Maranta does not believe sacking coaches is the answer to the club's issues when they are performing poorly.

He put his money where his mouth is back in 1991 when the cacophony of external noise to sack Bennett was at its loudest.

"It was a Sunday night and we had just been beaten and I went home and was watching Channel 10," Maranta recalled.

"They were running a poll where they were asking people if they wanted Bennett sacked.

"I rang our media guy and I said, 'tell everyone in the media that I am going to make a statement on Monday'.

"Monday was the day Bennett used to talk to all the rugby league writers but instead of the usual four or five the whole place was chock-a-block with 30 or 40 media from every channel and outlet."

Maranta said Bennett's "eyes nearly popped out" but he told him not to worry as he fronted the press, who were expecting him to announce that the coach would be punted.

"I then made the statement, 'Thank you for attending. We have just extended Wayne's contract as coach for another five years'. That blew them all away," Maranta said.

Bennett, already on contract for 1992, won that year and added two more titles (1993 and 1997) in that period.

Maranta is convinced Walters will lead the Broncos to title glory and said calls for him to be sacked were just as out of order as the push for Bennett to be axed.

"I know Kevin is a Bronco through and through. He's had four or five different coaching jobs and has learned under Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett," Maranta said.

"He has done all the learning process and I know him as a serious competitor and someone that doesn't put up with mediocrity.

"Kevin understands our Broncos culture and that is significant when you appoint people."

Canberra Times

Barry Maranta, thanks to you and Messrs Morgan, Balkin and Williams for founding the Broncos in 1986.
But, with the greatest of respect, you are 8 years older than Joe Biden ....
I don't think the argument that we are on the cusp of a golden period and that Kev is the new Wayne bears much scrutiny, as much as we all wish it were true ...

Fair-weather "fans" still braying like donkeys for Kevs sacking? Even when the Broncos legends all thrown their support behind him.
🤣🤣🤣

Fair-weather "fans" still braying like donkeys for Kevs sacking? Even when the Broncos legends all thrown their support behind him.
🤣🤣🤣

I am, and I'll own it. I don't think he "has it" regardless of what is being thrown around in the media of late. With the right support staff around him, perhaps - but I don't have faith in what the club seems to be putting together for next year in that respect either.

I stand by my opinion that 2025 will make or break his coaching career and sadly, I expect it to be the latter. I hope I'm wrong - and I'll gladly eat my words if I am.

All the Broncos legends are ex football players. They have never been the brightest men on the planet, but they're sure are loyal to their mates who can't coach.
There is a lot to be said for loyalty.
And pretty funny that the guy you say cant coach got us to a grand final.

But hey, lets just all keep blaming Kev and hold no players accountable, sounds like a good idea.
And while we are at it, lets just churn through coach after coach after coach and not build any stability at the club because you know, **** loyalty and everything the Broncos built their club on.
And while we are at it, lets hire the NSW ORIGIN coach to take over the reigns! Wicked idea!

**** it, lets change the Broncos jersey color to blue while we are throwing loyalty under the bus and hiring NSW ORIGIN coaches to run our club.
QUICK BOYS! Lets make panic decisions!
First order of business!
FIRE THE GUY WHO TOOK US FROM THE SPOON TO A GRAND FINAL!

Fucking bonkers this place has become on the back of a INJURY RIDDLED SEASON!

Cant even believe half the bullshit i read on these forums these days.
Funny how Seibold can take a team to the finals, BUT HEY! LETS KEEP BLAMING THE COACH!

I wonder if the players might be responsible just a little bit, for not making the finals this year?

Maybe, just maybe (and by all accounts), we have a team of prima donnas who march to their own drum, both before and after Kev arrived at the club.
Supported by a network that overpays certain players and lets go of ones we should probably keep.
Kev may not be the best coach in the comp, but he is a diehard Bronco through and through and has done enough with what he inherited to warrant more time at the helm.

Fairweather fans keep braying about how we missed the finals 3 out of 4 years, as though we were supposed to magically make the finals with the roster and cap space he inherited from the previous establishment.
There is a rebuilding phase, and there is time for Kev to make the team the way he wants it and unfortunately we suffered a string of injuries to key positions for well over half the season ( the stats say we are the third most impacted team by injury this year).
The fact we didn't finish bottom four with most of our spine out at one point or another is not a bad effort in itself.

But im done on this topic now.
You are all so hellbent on laying blame with the coach that there is no point trying to highlight other reasons we didnt make the eight.

I am, and I'll own it. I don't think he "has it" regardless of what is being thrown around in the media of late. With the right support staff around him, perhaps - but I don't have faith in what the club seems to be putting together for next year in that respect either.

I stand by my opinion that 2025 will make or break his coaching career and sadly, I expect it to be the latter. I hope I'm wrong - and I'll gladly eat my words if I am.
I too hope Kev can whip this team into shape.
But i don't think this season is a good indicator of coaching ability.

We lost Walsh, Reyno and Maam at varying stages of the season, easily the three most important players in our side.
Teams knew that it was worthwhile smashing Walsh out of the comp to inhibit our attack and they did so both legally and illegally at different points.

I cant understand how people in here are just going all in on Kev on the back of the type of season we had, and if you take any other team (except maybe Penrith) and decimate their spine, they will also struggle to make the eight.

How is injury the coaches fault?

My final piece on this topic is this:

If you hold a different opinion on why things have happened the way they did this year, then you are a pariah.
And unless you fall in line with the masses who run with their burning pitchforks to lynch the guy that holds the reigns then you are on the outer.

**** it, I will be a Bronco fan till the day i die, but the sentiments of some in here make me want to walk that path alone.
If we fail to make the eight on the back of a season that isn't plagued with injury or controversy, after enough time has passed for the current coach to implement the players and strategies the way they want, then i will reconsider my stance on the coach.

But im not calling for his head after a season wracked by injury, he deserves more than that, especially when the last time we played a season with minimal injury, we made a Grand Final.

Every side got wrecked by injury this year. And given it happened to every single side in the comp I think we gotta assume it's part of the game nowadays and expect it could happen again next year, rather than hoping we buck the trend. The "Broncos Footy" style is dreadful at dealing with injuries because there doesn't seem to be any system at all to fall back on and even near full strength it can be a mess.

Kev does seem to be dealing with a poorly run football department which excuses him a bit (sad given we are the biggest club in the game but sound like the Tigers) but given he's not gonna be a technical whiz if he can't get the players attitude right what does he bring? I have a tough time thinking he's the right coach when we had 40 put on 3 times at Suncorp with the season on the line.

Every side got wrecked by injury this year. And given it happened to every single side in the comp I think we gotta assume it's part of the game nowadays and expect it could happen again next year, rather than hoping we buck the trend. The "Broncos Footy" style is dreadful at dealing with injuries because there doesn't seem to be any system at all to fall back on and even near full strength it can be a mess.

Kev does seem to be dealing with a poorly run football department which excuses him a bit (sad given we are the biggest club in the game but sound like the Tigers) but given he's not gonna be a technical whiz if he can't get the players attitude right what does he bring? I have a tough time thinking he's the right coach when we had 40 put on 3 times at Suncorp with the season on the line.
There is a difference in sides being wrecked by injury though.
Did any other team lose their three most important players?

Not only that, but how is a side supposed to gel with each other when the guys that orchestrate them around the field are all missing at one point or another?
There is no consistency.

I am also not exonerating Kev from all blame. I have said i don't think he is the best coach around, but i dont think the bulk of the blame for not making the eight is on his shoulders this season and people have gone all in calling for his head on the back of this season.

Its like going from the spoon to the GF has been erased from their minds and all they can see is this seasons ladder without taking any other factor into account.

I cant understand how people in here are just going all in on Kev on the back of the type of season we had, and if you take any other team (except maybe Penrith) and decimate their spine, they will also struggle to make the eight.

There is a difference in sides being wrecked by injury though.
Did any other team lose their three most important players?

Not only that, but how is a side supposed to gel with each other when the guys that orchestrate them around the field are all missing at one point or another?
There is no consistency.

I am also not exonerating Kev from all blame. I have said i don't think he is the best coach around, but i dont think the bulk of the blame for not making the eight is on his shoulders this season and people have gone all in calling for his head on the back of this season.

Its like going from the spoon to the GF has been erased from their minds and all they can see is this seasons ladder without taking any other factor into account.

OK , how do you explain away not adjusting the defence during the Bulldogs game ?
They did it over and again . Both Kevvie and Reyno failed to react .
That`s poor coaching .

If you hold a different opinion on why things have happened the way they did this year, then you are a pariah.
And unless you fall in line with the masses who run with their burning pitchforks to lynch the guy that holds the reigns then you are on the outer.
I've read lots of different opinions on whether Kevvie should be sacked or not and both sides are generally being treated respectfully by the other. There are a few outliers (on both sides) who treat those that hold a different opinion as if they are idiots, but that is definitely not the norm.

The rest are just having normal discussions without being overly dramatic about it.

OK , how do you explain away not adjusting the defence during the Bulldogs game ?
They did it over and again . Both Kevvie and Reyno failed to react .
That`s poor coaching .
Because even coaches have the odd bad game?

Is Kev the only coach this season to make a poor decision?
Does it warrant being sacked?

Active Now

• davidp
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • Pablo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Aldo
  • Rambstien
  • john1420
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hurrijo
  • broncsgoat
  • Shane Tronc
  • Gaz
  • Fitzy
  • Tristan1990
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Justwin
  • Manifesto
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.