NEWS Walters: roster is pretty much sorted

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevin Walters responds to questions about former Titan David Meade:

“It’s fantastic. He’s one with really good experience, both here and overseas. He’s played international football. We feel we’ve got a lot of good, young players coming through and David is one of those players who can help nurture their training habits, their playing habits. He’s a very experienced player and we’re very happy to have him on board.”

“The roster is pretty much sorted, it’s nearly done. What we see, is what we get and we’re very happy. Certainly, I’m very happy with the roster we have and we can do some really good things with it. Things can change pretty quickly in rugby league as we know but right now, this would be about it. We’re very happy with what we have here at the moment. If we can keep everyone fit and healthy into the season, we’ll be in a good position to start the season really well.”

Meanwhile, Origin stars Xavier Coates, Patrick Carrigan and Payne Haas have returned to the club for their first day of pre-season training.

McHunt

giphy.gif

Our cap is an absolute shitshow

IF what he is saying is true, this season the club has managed to turn:

The money of Boyd, Fifita, Joffa, Bird and Kahu

into

Extensions for Kennar, Herbie, Flegs, and signings of Mead, Copley and Asiata

Can someone please tell me how negative Nancies like me are supposed to be excited and positive about that? How is this anything other than salary cap mis-management on a truly astonishing scale?

Can't help but feel he's getting stitched up here big time but he's gotta appear happy about it somehow
Have to agree. Board bowed to outside pressure by appointing KW. Probably not their preferred choice and being set up to fail it would appear. Hope he proves them wrong. Roster pretty much stuffed till 22.

Have to agree. Board bowed to outside pressure by appointing KW. Probably not their preferred choice and being set up to fail it would appear. Hope he proves them wrong. Roster pretty much stuffed till 22.

Roster pretty much stuffed until a board with a clue comes on board I'd say. I don't trust the current decision makers with the '22 money we should have.

Roster pretty much stuffed until a board with a clue comes on board I'd say. I don't trust the current decision makers with the '22 money we should have.
Me neither. Why would they start making good decisions all of a sudden when their decisions to date have turned the club into a basket case? It won’t happen, they aren’t capable.

You have to take your hat off to Kevvie. Despite our team being weakened since the close of last season he spruiks it as something that he is happy with. Truth be told he’s got virtually nothing in the kitty to strengthen the roster so he makes sure the boys who are there know he is fully behind them.
Faith and effort works both ways. You’ve got risk putting your own neck out if you want the squad to do the same. He’s leading from the front with what he’s got and you can’t fault him for that.

It’s going to be a long drawn out season this year but I’m willing to give Kevvie at least until next season before I pass judgement on him As an NRL coach. Best of luck to him coz the unfortunate guy will need it.

You have to take your hat off to Kevvie. Despite our team being weakened since the close of last season he spruiks it as something that he is happy with. Truth be told he’s got virtually nothing in the kitty to strengthen the roster so he makes sure the boys who are there know he is fully behind them.
Faith and effort works both ways. You’ve got risk putting your own neck out if you want the squad to do the same. He’s leading from the front with what he’s got and you can’t fault him for that.

It’s going to be a long drawn out season this year but I’m willing to give Kevvie at least until next season before I pass judgement on him As an NRL coach. Best of luck to him coz the unfortunate guy will need it.
Also, he's smart enough to not do a Seibold and give the players excuses to lose, like preparing loss speeches. He coaches the team with the expectation that they are a good team and anything less is a failure. Not failure is to be expected with this roster, life is so unfair.
**** Seibold.

Good on ya Kevvie. Will be interesting to see how he deals with our roster for next year with plenty of guys off contract. 3 player option contracts to deal with for 2022 as well. You'd have to think Corey Oates would be taking his, unless he comes into top form early on. Turpin could be looking elsewhere if we're looking like luring Brandon Smith, but would love to have them both. Who knows with Staggs, but I hope we don't offer him overs.

Glenn and Macca are close to the end. I'd offer Macca a small contract but Glenn is better off elsewhere. Milford will be playing for his future so he could come good, especially if Kevvie can mentor him like he did in 2015. Then we've got Dearden, Coates and Riki who will all be getting a lot of attention.

Can someone please tell me how negative Nancies like me are supposed to be excited and positive about that?
Asiata is a great pickup and maybe we have saved some money in the cap this year to put towards Offa and Bird's contracts, so we can pay them off early and have more room for next year.

Roster

Round 1:
1. Isaako
2. Mead
3. Farnworth
4. Copley
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Haas
11. Glenn
12. TPJ
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Carrigan
16. Flegler
17. Oates

18. Riki

lessss go.

If people are prepared to wait, and lower expectations (but definitely not hope!), this year should be a successful one, depending on your outlook.
A lot people talked about being sick of only getting top four spots. Well I guess one positive thing about Siebold's reign: he definitely changed that!
We have good young players, both in first grade, on the fringes, and coming through the ranks. They probably won't win this year's premiership (although I'll be the happiest bloke if McHunt rubs that one in my face this time next year 😊), but can definitely lay the foundations for a team that will.
You look at staggs (assuming he stays)., Ricki, dearden, Haas, carrigan and Farnsworth (assuming he doesn't get hypothermia training in the snow) and some younger ones a little further back and it's not all gloom and doom.
With a little luck, and a spine that stays healthy, we might be surprised.

No reason a safe option team list with simple coaching and bit of man motivation can’t finish 8-11th.

Our spine is terrible and our outside backs pretty average too. But a lot of other teams stink pretty bad too. You really don’t need a special team to make 9th place. With a bit of luck, a light injury toll, and Q cup running (🤞) we could finish mid table, and that’s an acceptable pass mark position for next season imo.

Imagine being on the Titanic at the end and doing a comedy show. What a mess this cap is!!

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bazza
  • cento
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.