NEWS Walters: the art of the deal

The Broncos are showing faith in Kevvie Walters by allowing him to prematurely renegotiate his September 2020 contract, currently worth around $400K. He will immediately switch to a week to week "standard employment contract" based solely on performance, with handsome incentives for on-field success. He will earn major bonuses if he meets Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), such as making the playoffs. The deal includes the go-ahead to shop for fresh talent in his football department. The terms will include a period of notice, thought to be three months.

This means he can now theoretically be sacked before his previous contract would've expired at the end of the 2022 season. But it also means neither party needs to sweat over whether to renew his contract. It's good to go until it isn't.

Donuts and Ikin are also on standard contracts with no fixed terms, and intend to phase out the expensive player options that crushed the club in previous years.

Kevvie says:

“I’m not expecting any favours from anyone here. I have to perform. Every club has to get results and we’re no different. I’ve said for a while I want to be here long term and I intend to do that. But I’m not a fool either. I’m not kidding myself. It’s about getting results and I need to get results to stay in the role which is pretty clear."

“I want to be here for longer. We’ve had some player movement which hasn’t provided stability and what the Broncos need is stability across the playing group and the coaching staff. I never saw myself as a short-term appointment. I want to be here for a while, but to do that everybody at the Broncos has to perform and I’m no different.”

ScreenScreen12e20ffa5e892b19f15cf80de7579079672e683a

A firm grip on the Gold

Walters’ agent Chris Orr:

“The Broncos want Kevvie to be their long-term successful coach. The Broncos are looking to throw all their support around Kevvie by increasing resources, whilst taking away any contractual questions by entering an employment agreement. This means Kevvie will be rewarded on results whilst also increasing stability across the club.”

Donuts:

“We’re in discussions with Kevin, so I’d prefer not to comment for now. Look, Kev’s our coach. He’s our guy and he’s determined to succeed. There’s been quite a bit of change here in recent times, but we feel that with a number of things falling into place, the opportunity exists to build on where we currently are."

“We’ve prioritised investment in our football program and supporting our coach, staff and players. The growth I’ve seen in Kev as a coach and in the program led by Ben Ikin has been tremendous. The pre-season starts Monday and we believe the group led by Kev will continue to grow on the gains we saw at the back end of last season. It’s for them to do, but I’ve got the confidence and belief in them that they will. There’s real value in stability and continuity. I’ve been really impressed with Kevvie in the last three to four months. He’s certainly grown.”

Former future of the Broncos Tommy Dearden:

“I had been at the Broncos since I was 13 years old and I took things from a lot of people that helped me on my journey. Kevvie was pretty strict in the pre-season last year about playmakers playing their own game and being their own player on the field. That’s one thing I learnt from ‘Kevvie’: to be my own player out there."

“Your confidence always takes a knock when you lose so many games in a row. You go out and play to win, but I was struggling to get a win for a very long time. It’s been a tough start to my career, but I took some confidence moving to the Cowboys and getting that win against the Dragons. "

"One thing I have taken from Kevvie is having that belief in my game. He wished me all the best when I left. It’s a part of football sometimes that players move clubs and that happened to me. I learnt a fair bit from Kevvie in the short amount of time I was working with him, so I’m grateful for the time I had with him.”

McHunt

Seems like a pretty bad deal for Walters tbh. Good on him for backing himself though I guess.

Not sure how Kev being able to get sacked at anytime without the club suffering any financial penalty will stop media speculation about his future as coach though.

I love how coaches have to put up with being subjected to contracts like this yet the players don't, and the players have a far greater responsibility for on field performances than the coaches do.

Seems like a pretty bad deal for Walters tbh. Good on him for backing himself though I guess.

Not sure how Kev being able to get sacked at anytime without the club suffering any financial penalty will stop media speculation about his future as coach though.
I love how coaches have to put up with being subjected to contracts like this yet the players don't, and the players have a far greater responsibility for on field performances than the coaches do.
At face value it seems like an appalling step backwards. Like the kind of deal where you let the liquor do the thinking.

But what we don't know is how big the performance bonuses are and whether it effectively stayed an imminent execution. It would be interesting to know whose idea this was.

At face value it seems like an appalling step backwards. Like the kind of deal where you let the liquor do the thinking.

But what we don't know is how big the performance bonuses are and whether it effectively stayed an imminent execution. It would be interesting to know whose idea this was.
Yeah I guess the details in what constitutes as not perforating is important.
The fact he gets a bonus for making the finals implies that not making the finals isn’t an automatic sacking.

Could they not get any Bronco for an interview? Instead they have to ask Doesnotwin?

Those Dearden quotes were from a different Badel article about Dearden getting his mojo back

On face value this looks like an absolute stinker of a deal for Kev. Its probably a bit of a shot across the bow for so many poor performances last year even though even if he isn't fully to blame. Almost a first and final warning, next time you're out.

To be fair it seems they're willing to give him all the tools to suceed and ultimately saying you have zero excuses. If im him i get straight on the phone to Neil Henry for an assistant coach job to get out tactics up to scratch then on the phone to Corey Parker to come and put a hard edge on our forwards.

I just cant help but think Cartwright and Maddiison just dont pack the punch we need.

The hardest part to swallpw for kev is it would seem DD and Ikin are putting the team together so his sucess relies heavily on them. In saying that, DD and Ikin must be incredibly satisfied the system they're using to put our team together is going to work.

If Kev is going to make it through to next season he 100% needs to make the most of his bosses giving him an open checkbook for his football department and bring in as many big guns as he can.

A tough draw when released next next could well spell the end for him.

Yeah I guess the details in what constitutes as not perforating is important.
The fact he gets a bonus for making the finals implies that not making the finals isn’t an automatic sacking.
Half the coaches fail to make the 8 each season. Not really grounds for sacking. Not too many survive the spoon though. Most don't even make it to the end of the season. Todd Payten, watch out.

On face value this looks like an absolute stinker of a deal for Kev. Its probably a bit of a shot across the bow for so many poor performances last year even though even if he isn't fully to blame. Almost a first and final warning, next time you're out.

To be fair it seems they're willing to give him all the tools to suceed and ultimately saying you have zero excuses. If im him i get straight on the phone to Neil Henry for an assistant coach job to get out tactics up to scratch then on the phone to Corey Parker to come and put a hard edge on our forwards.

I just cant help but think Cartwright and Maddiison just dont pack the punch we need.

The hardest part to swallpw for kev is it would seem DD and Ikin are putting the team together so his sucess relies heavily on them. In saying that, DD and Ikin must be incredibly satisfied the system they're using to put our team together is going to work.

If Kev is going to make it through to next season he 100% needs to make the most of his bosses giving him an open checkbook for his football department and bring in as many big guns as he can.

He should call their bluff and make Ciraldo the richest assistant Foch in the history of the game.

By all reports Parker is Dolphins bound, so that isn't gonna fly sadly. What is Brad Thorn up to these days?

It needs to be considered that if the coaches and HQ are taking deals like this - it is a deliberate show of leadership and setting an example that they want to instill across the club. IE: We are here to win, if we perform we are safe, don't perform and you are out. If the responsibility starts at the top there is no excuse for anyone to not perform or best efforts. All in or ship out.

Smart play. Very Melbourne/Roosters esque. Sends a strong message without actually having to say anything. If i was Kev/DD/Ikin i would do it.

Gross, don't even joke about it, please!
It's all aligning.

Performance based contract with no payout required... 1 decent spine player and several millions of dollars of the cap playing elsewhere next year.

Paul useless fucking Green stepping away from the origin job with no job to go to.

Just need the fucked draw from NSWRL to finish it all off

By all reports Parker is Dolphins bound, so that isn't gonna fly sadly. What is Brad Thorn up to these days?

QLD Reds isn't he? not a union follower myself just last I heard that's where he was

100%

Why shouldn't clubs be able to sack players for shit performance?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Old Mate
  • john1420
  • Financeguy
  • Kev_Guz
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.