NEWS Wam bam, thank you Mam

Kevin Walters has confirmed the plan to move Kotoni to the coveted number 6 position is off. At this stage it's still wide open, with several names competing to face Souths in Round one. But one bolter is gaining momentum.

Former premiership winning five-eighth Kevin Walters said:

“Ezra was outstanding this year in the Intrust Super Cup as an 18-year-old kid so I’ve certainly got my eye on him. Kotoni will start the year in the centres. I like what Kotoni brings to us out wide, so the No.6 jersey is up for grabs for someone who wants to make it theirs in pre-season. We have a number of options in Albert Kelly, Tyson Gamble, Billy Walters and just recently we added young Ezra Mam to our squad. Competition is great for all positions.”

ScreenScreenshot 2021 11 11 at 12 29 08 Ezra Mam on Instagram 21 done n dusted slmagpies Ma

Former premiership winning five-eighth Ben Ikin said:

“Ezra is a very natural player. He has the same skip and acceleration of a Matt Bowen. One minute they are in front of you and the next minute they are gone. There’s a whole lot of things he does in a game that can’t be coached, but he is also quickly developing solid game awareness in and around all the natural skill and ability he has got."

“He is a solid defender who makes good decisions and is getting better at understanding what a playmaker needs to do on behalf of the team to get a result. His development will only accelerate by the time he gets in and around Adam Reyolds who is one of the game’s best playmakers.”

“Ezra can play both five-eighth and halfback. He has a great running game, very subtle skill and a good passing game. Ezra can play tough as well, he isn’t afraid of contact either side of the ball. He has the world at his feet and doesn’t shy away from the hard work at training. He is giving himself every chance to fulfil his potential. It’s a question for the coach on when Ezra plays NRL but there is great competition for five-eighth spots. Reynolds is going to be the seven and with Ezra coming into the top 30 alongside Tyson Gamble, Albert Kelly and Billy Walters, it’s a healthy position for the club to be in.”

McHunt

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Is anyone we have inarguably better than Walters though? We've got a bunch of reserve graders, an old fat bloke from ESL and an 18 year old who can't defend.

If Billy is the worst option, it's not by much.

Which is wonderful to have decent depth in the halves for once. But yeah, Gamble has won the first right to the jersey in my opinion. If he struggles and Waters is killing it in Q Cup, by all means give him a shot. He should not walk into the club as an automatic selection by any means.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Is anyone we have inarguably better than Walters though? We've got a bunch of reserve graders, an old fat bloke from ESL and an 18 year old who can't defend.

He’d be about 4th choice 5/8

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I’m a bit concerned about halfback depth. Sure, Kelly can do a bit of a job there, so maybe Walters can also pick up some slack in the position?
If Reynolds was to go down long term Gamble would be the one I'd look to too steer the team around.
But with all the possible options training with Adam and learning off a elite halfback everyday they will all go alot better if needed to fill the 7

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

At the Current stage I would say Gamble is way ahead of him,

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
The way you look at it is we have 5 options to partner Reynolds in the halves this year, technically they all have a shot, none stand out and none are completely shit. We got depth but no stardom (except mam but he is young).

Albert Kelly: Experienced, has a bit more of a flair and running game punch in his game which might help, also seems to have gotten along well with Reynolds based off some of the photos from that corporate touch day

Tyson Gable: Probably the front runner. Brings tonnes of energy. Has a little bit of everything. Holds his own in defence and is willing to work his ass off.

Ezra Mam: Great young half. Potent running game, has had the odd flashy pass but haven't seen enough to comment on his playmaking ability. Looks really fit so hopefully he's got a good work ethic. But the big issue is his likely inability to defend at first grade level.

Billy Walters: Billy is a great bloke I love him both on and off the field but I hate to say it but he is here because of his Daddy. Would love for him to prove me wrong, he was playing well enough before his ACL to warrant a squad spot at every club (could warrant a 17 at quite a few of them as well) so you never know what could happen when he gets in the groove of things.

Tyrone Roberts: Tyrone is looking very fit, he looks like he wants it, I guess why wouldn't he but it shows he is willing to put in the hard yards. When Tyrone is on he is a very good player and leading his team to a q-cup premiership last year helps his case for a top 30 spot. He can do a bit of everything so if he gets that top 30 spot chances are he is going to be playing rd.1 otherwise they will leave him as a T&T in case of emergencies.

Te Maire Martin: I personally don't give him any chances of playing this year that's why I said only 5 players before. I really like Te Maire Martin but I'm wondering if this is really worth the risk. Don't see him playing first grade this year but good luck to him.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Great analysis, but I can't help thinking that Mam is only spoken of as a future star simply because we have yet to see him perform at NRL level. Who knows he may well absolutely nail it (i'd be over the moon) but I don't see the same dynamics as were so noticeable with Welsh and Walker.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Great analysis, but I can't help thinking that Mam is only spoken of as a future star simply because we have yet to see him perform at NRL level. Who knows he may well absolutely nail it (i'd be over the moon) but I don't see the same dynamics as were so noticeable with Welsh and Walker.
Walker did barely anything to warrant an NRL debut in my opinion. I think to this day he is still very overrated. Roosters aren't winning much in the next few years with him in the halves. Yes once he gets out of that still playing like a schoolboy stage he will be very good but at the moment he is stuck in that little period. Walsh is an anomaly the dudes a freak, he has plateaued out a bit with people putting too much pressure on him but the kid can play. Mam warrants far more hype than Walker initially did in my opinion, Walker was benefitting off his name and loud mouthed Qld media trying to make excessive stories out of something that happens to every other club on the regular. Everyone is so focused on getting the next Cronk in their young halves that they forget just how important a running half is, and we have that.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel just keeps breaking news.

firstly do you mean to tell me that a top 30 half is in contention for a vacant 5/8 spot ... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Not to mention that we all knew 4 months ago that Staggs wasn't moving to the halves in 2022
You need to stop reading Badel articles if even slow news in the off season gets sand in your panties.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You need to stop reading Badel articles if even slow news in the off season gets sand in your panties.

you need to stop reading my posts if every time i comment on the media you get into the fetal position crying your eyes out and screaming "STOP BEING MEAN TO THEM"

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
you need to stop reading my posts if every time i comment on the media you get into the fetal position crying your eyes out and screaming "STOP BEING MEAN TO THEM"
Check your fly. Your little dickie bird is poking out of your pyjamas again.

The True King

The True King

NRL Player
Apr 6, 2018
Walker did barely anything to warrant an NRL debut in my opinion. I think to this day he is still very overrated. Roosters aren't winning much in the next few years with him in the halves. Yes once he gets out of that still playing like a schoolboy stage he will be very good but at the moment he is stuck in that little period. Walsh is an anomaly the dudes a freak, he has plateaued out a bit with people putting too much pressure on him but the kid can play. Mam warrants far more hype than Walker initially did in my opinion, Walker was benefitting off his name and loud mouthed Qld media trying to make excessive stories out of something that happens to every other club on the regular. Everyone is so focused on getting the next Cronk in their young halves that they forget just how important a running half is, and we have that.

I tend to agree that Walker is slightly overrated but he's got all the makings of an elite half if he can sort out his body. Obviously it was far too soon for him to be playing NRL and he will benefit from an off-season in the gym. I just think last season was a free hit for him in the NRL and that experience at his age is invaluable.

There were a few moments last season that Walker was absolutely clutch and won the game off his own back. While his all round game is developing and has a long way to go, you can't coach the sort of composure and appetite for big moments that he showed.

He will only get better next season and that's scary.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I tend to agree that Walker is slightly overrated but he's got all the makings of an elite half if he can sort out his body. Obviously it was far too soon for him to be playing NRL and he will benefit from an off-season in the gym. I just think last season was a free hit for him in the NRL and that experience at his age is invaluable.

There were a few moments last season that Walker was absolutely clutch and won the game off his own back. While his all round game is developing and has a long way to go, you can't coach the sort of composure and appetite for big moments that he showed.

He will only get better next season and that's scary.
He wasn't perfect but he was infinitely better than any of our halves, especially the competitive eater we were paying a million dollars to pick his nose in the ISC.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
He wasn't perfect but he was infinitely better than any of our halves, especially the competitive eater we were paying a million dollars to pick his nose in the ISC.
“Competitive eater” - classic! PMSL.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The way you look at it is we have 5 options to partner Reynolds in the halves this year, technically they all have a shot, none stand out and none are completely shit. We got depth but no stardom (except mam but he is young).

Albert Kelly: Experienced, has a bit more of a flair and running game punch in his game which might help, also seems to have gotten along well with Reynolds based off some of the photos from that corporate touch day

Tyson Gable: Probably the front runner. Brings tonnes of energy. Has a little bit of everything. Holds his own in defence and is willing to work his ass off.

Ezra Mam: Great young half. Potent running game, has had the odd flashy pass but haven't seen enough to comment on his playmaking ability. Looks really fit so hopefully he's got a good work ethic. But the big issue is his likely inability to defend at first grade level.

Billy Walters: Billy is a great bloke I love him both on and off the field but I hate to say it but he is here because of his Daddy. Would love for him to prove me wrong, he was playing well enough before his ACL to warrant a squad spot at every club (could warrant a 17 at quite a few of them as well) so you never know what could happen when he gets in the groove of things.

Tyrone Roberts: Tyrone is looking very fit, he looks like he wants it, I guess why wouldn't he but it shows he is willing to put in the hard yards. When Tyrone is on he is a very good player and leading his team to a q-cup premiership last year helps his case for a top 30 spot. He can do a bit of everything so if he gets that top 30 spot chances are he is going to be playing rd.1 otherwise they will leave him as a T&T in case of emergencies.

Te Maire Martin: I personally don't give him any chances of playing this year that's why I said only 5 players before. I really like Te Maire Martin but I'm wondering if this is really worth the risk. Don't see him playing first grade this year but good luck to him.

Roberts played six games for Norths in the season with 3/6 off the bench- "leading his team to premiership" is way over the top.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Roberts played six games for Norths in the season with 3/6 off the bench- "leading his team to premiership" is way over the top.
They won the grand final with him in the halves that’s like saying Niu didn’t contribute to our end of season run because he missed the middle half of the season.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Mam is raw and not ready for week in, week out NRL but the thing I like about him is that he has EVERYTHING in his bag of tricks. If he can keep developing in Q Cup, we have an absolute gun in the making. I just hope they don't rush him and I don' think they will since he is locked away for a few years.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
They won the grand final with him in the halves that’s like saying Niu didn’t contribute to our end of season run because he missed the middle half of the season.

You said led not contribute, he certainly made a small contribution and six games in a season is as about as small as you can get.

Norths would have won anyway even without his small role.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Tyrone Roberts is depth at best, he's been in and out of a couple of clubs now, maybe the reality of not getting an NRL contract will have motivated him to find another gear but based on what I have seen, he doesn't excite me

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Old Mate
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • Justwin
  • mystico
  • leon.bott
  • Galah
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • dasherhalo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Waynesaurus
  • Battler
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.