NEWS Wam bam, thank you Mam

Kevin Walters has confirmed the plan to move Kotoni to the coveted number 6 position is off. At this stage it's still wide open, with several names competing to face Souths in Round one. But one bolter is gaining momentum.

Former premiership winning five-eighth Kevin Walters said:

“Ezra was outstanding this year in the Intrust Super Cup as an 18-year-old kid so I’ve certainly got my eye on him. Kotoni will start the year in the centres. I like what Kotoni brings to us out wide, so the No.6 jersey is up for grabs for someone who wants to make it theirs in pre-season. We have a number of options in Albert Kelly, Tyson Gamble, Billy Walters and just recently we added young Ezra Mam to our squad. Competition is great for all positions.”

ScreenScreenshot 2021 11 11 at 12 29 08 Ezra Mam on Instagram 21 done n dusted slmagpies Ma

Former premiership winning five-eighth Ben Ikin said:

“Ezra is a very natural player. He has the same skip and acceleration of a Matt Bowen. One minute they are in front of you and the next minute they are gone. There’s a whole lot of things he does in a game that can’t be coached, but he is also quickly developing solid game awareness in and around all the natural skill and ability he has got."

“He is a solid defender who makes good decisions and is getting better at understanding what a playmaker needs to do on behalf of the team to get a result. His development will only accelerate by the time he gets in and around Adam Reyolds who is one of the game’s best playmakers.”

“Ezra can play both five-eighth and halfback. He has a great running game, very subtle skill and a good passing game. Ezra can play tough as well, he isn’t afraid of contact either side of the ball. He has the world at his feet and doesn’t shy away from the hard work at training. He is giving himself every chance to fulfil his potential. It’s a question for the coach on when Ezra plays NRL but there is great competition for five-eighth spots. Reynolds is going to be the seven and with Ezra coming into the top 30 alongside Tyson Gamble, Albert Kelly and Billy Walters, it’s a healthy position for the club to be in.”

McHunt

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
You said led not contribute, he certainly made a small contribution and six games in a season is as about as small as you can get.

Norths would have won anyway even without his small role.
Mate get over yourself… it’s not like I said he was going to start for us… and yes if he played the final 6 games of the fucken season and they won I would consider that leading if your the halfback and most experienced player on that field

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Mate get over yourself… it’s not like I said he was going to start for us… and yes if he played the final 6 games of the fucken season and they won I would consider that leading if your the halfback and most experienced player on that field
It's a matter of semantics but considering Norths were on top of the table before Roberts arrived I can understand a fan of the competition pulling you up.

I understand what you mean, but 'leading' the team gives the impression that he's Jamal Fogarty or Cody Walker when he clearly wasn't that instrumental.

Personally I thought if anything the playmakers weren't as effective as they should have been and made life more difficult. Fortunately the game-plan to keep turning it inside and use their mobile pack paid dividends.

Again I understand what you're saying and yes coming in off a QRL premiership doesn't hurt his chances.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • mystico
  • leon.bott
  • Galah
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • dasherhalo
  • Mr Fourex
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.