Warriors continue Broncos raid ... but is there another motive?

NImitz

NImitz

BRL Player
Sep 8, 2016
The Warriors look set to continue their attempted player raid on Brisbane with their sights set on a bargain-buy rookie.
Senior News Corp journalist Brent Read told Triple M on Sunday the Warriors are chasing Jake Turpin, who has earned his coin many times over this season. Turpin has plugged injury holes at hooker and now in the halves, and is still only on a cheap deal.He’s off contract and yet to be snapped up by the Broncos for next year.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20191808/match-report
“They’ve been attacking the Broncos ... they went after Matt Lodge, they went after Tevita Pangai Jr, and now they’re after Jake Turpin,” Read said.

“They’ve made a big offer to Jake Turpin. He’s off contract at the end of the year and he’s yet to do a deal with the Warriors.
“The Warriors have come in really big for Jake Turpin.

“I think the Broncos are pretty optimistic they’ll keep him, he’s been a really valuable player for them this year.
“He’s one of those blokes I think every club needs.”

But Read speculated the Warriors may have an ulterior motive to their ongoing raids on the Broncos.
They made no secret of their pursuit of prop Matt Lodge before he signed a contract extension at Red Hill, and the Warriors also went after Pangai.

Read thinks the Warriors may be trying to work the Broncos into a corner with their salary cap.
“They’ve made the Broncos probably up the ante with those guys, make them pay more than they maybe would have paid for them ... I’m wondering if they’re plotting long term maybe going after someone else at the Broncos.

“They are thinking if we keep pushing up the price on these other guys it might actually free up a player down the track we can have a shot at.”

They're 3 of our best players, who else are they plotting to get if not our best players?

Not the worst tactic in the world.

Probably being manipulated by the Roosters or Storm for them to poach Fifita.

This is grade A speculation from Read. Just because they tried to sign them doesn't mean that we had to pay more, players can stay because they like the place and are settled with their family etc.

It is this kind of journalism that pisses me off the most, because done the track this thinking is what is used to try and say we are cheating the cap.

"Haha y-y-yeah we totally weren't offering Lodge a mil, it was all in our master plan you guys!"

We haven't overpaid for any of our re-signings, so this so called tactic looks to me like a coping mechanism for our players turning down monster deals.

Last edited:
I'm certain that the people running the Warriors are not that switched on to think that way.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.