Was that the greatest Origin win of all time?

Was game 2 the greatest Origin win of all time

• Total voters
J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Simple question.

I think yes for a few reasons:
- it sealed 4 in a row, a feat that has never been done before for a start.
- the injury factor: there was something like 5 or 6 guys wounded out there, we were dead tired but dug in to win.
- the officiating. I would like to see Harrigan come up with an excuse as to why Harrison was not awarded a try and why we were not awarded a penalty after O'Donnell blatantly stepped off the mark on the line and impeded 2 defenders.

Discuss away...

Against all odds the Queensland team won the gaem tonight and that is what Origin is about.... All the players dug deep for the cause and we got up.. Suck on that Bellamy ya whinging bastard.

Hmmm..hard to say. Some great reasons listed above but there are a few contenders like Game 1, 1998 where we won 24-23 in a comeback. Not to mention Game 3, 2006 which featured the original version of Locky snapping up a wayward pass to score (only this time to deceide the series).

Nothing will beat 1991. Bob Lindner playing on with a broken leg to finish the game...and that was in the era where Origin was actually tough and gladiatorial. Not just a better version of a club game like it is now.

Game 2 89 was a great win too similar injury situation...

Coxy said:
Nothing will beat 1991. Bob Lindner playing on with a broken leg to finish the game...and that was in the era where Origin was actually tough and gladiatorial. Not just a better version of a club game like it is now.
What he said

Dexter said:
Coxy said:
What he said

That was Wally's last, right? I was there. One of the closest, most desperate wins of all time. But the way Bobby was playing, it didn't look like he had a broken leg, are you sure?

Game 2 1989 is IT for me, but tonight revived the ghost of that game. It's funny now, remembering how between the 65th and 75th minute, Warren Ryan and others on ABC radio were utterly convinced the Blues were gonna run all over the top of us and win, so out of breath we supposedly were. I guess they don't understand Qld pride either. Now watching my video recording... Gus: "Qld are in all sorts now..." [icon_lol1.

It's up there, but game 2 1989 is still the greatest. Langer and Lindner broken legs, Mal Meninga fractured eye socket, Paul Vautin damaged a fetlock, Michael Hancock injured shoulder.

Thats all well and good, but those games didnt have a 3rd ref raping us!

Forget the 3rd ref, those two blokes who broke their legs are the greatest Queenslanders ever in their respective positions!!! The other blokes are no slouches either! Lost them all and were in desperate strife! (apart from Hancock who played on with only one shoulder).

Look it may not have been the greatest victory of all time but seriously, it is one of the greatest. Certainly in the modern era. Very similar to 06 game 3, this time we won to secure 4 straight wins to CREATE history. That time we won to PREVENT history. Interesting.

No doubt about it. QLD produce the goods when they need do. Also, this team is an AWESOME team. I think NSW's time is due when civo and Pricey go, their time will come.

How good is Inglis going? His form is unbelievable! His finally showing what a player he can be - with the correct attitude.

It reminded me even more of Game 3, 2007. It was a similar scenario, except we had it worse with injuries in that match. Tate, Inglis and another (I think it was Johnson) got injured early and never came back, and then someone else got injured later, and we were playing with a 1 man (and sometimes no men) bench. We lost that game, but the amount of effort we put into fighting until the last few minutes was unbelievable. There were over a dozen try saving tackles all over the place.

I think the last 2 games of 2006 were very special. After losing game 1, QLD needed to win game 2 to avoid a 4th straight series defeat. They come to Lang Park in front of a sellout crowd and smash the blues 30-6. Then in game 3, with 17 blues and 2 refs against them, they pull out a win in the dying stages to win the series, and in hindsight set themselves up to win 4 series in a row.

I don't remember 1989, but for me this game out strips Game 3 2006 which was my previous best win of all time.

It had all the ingredients.

I don't know if it's the greatest origin win of all time, but the hangover I have this morning is one of my finest post origin hangovers if that counts for anything....

Game 3 I think it was in 1997 or 1998 was a cracker, Tunza scoring in the final minutes. Game 3 2006 also a beauty, as was game 2 last year.

Emma said:
I don't know if it's the greatest origin win of all time, but the hangover I have this morning is one of my finest post origin hangovers if that counts for anything....

Game 3 I think it was in 1997 or 1998 was a cracker, Tunza scoring in the final minutes. Game 3 2006 also a beauty, as was game 2 last year.

Game 1 1998 it was Emma.

Queensland down by 5. 2 minutes or so to go. 5 out from our own line. Kevin Walters kicks it up field. Ben Ikin regathers.
Two tackles later, Locky (I think) puts Tunza over.
Locky converts.
Queensland wins!

Post game: Bennett abuses the press when asked about Carroll...pulls out the programme which said something about Carroll being a nuffy or whatever. Bennett says "You seem to know all about him already, why ask me?"

LOL

Ahhh memories.

Game 3? What the hell am I thinking?! I'm clearly too tired and emotional to have any sense of intelligence this morning! I think that was the game that really cemented him being my fave player.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
  • Lostboy
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BruiserMk1
  • Behold
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • upthehorse
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
  • rj9
  • Dash
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.