Was that the greatest Origin win of all time?

Was game 2 the greatest Origin win of all time

• Total voters
Game 3 that year was good too, but for different reasons. Queensland DOMINATED the game, and it was in Sydney as well. Won 17-4 in the end. The match winner being when Tallis carried about 3 defenders, then popped an offload to a flying Ben Ikin who scored untouched under the posts.

There is no way a game against that woefully inept NSW side could be conisdered Qld's greatest win imo.

However I would say that this Queensland best ever team.

OK I've made up my mind. I voted no - but not by much. The adversity we had to deal with in 89 I think was even more than last night - 2 broken legs, various other injuries, Mick Hancock playing on with a busted shoulder because there was no-one else left, and, more importantly playing against a pretty reputable NSW side with some well established big names in it. Last night's Blues side was inept, but we had a different kind of adversity in Archer and Harrigan. Given a fair crack of the whip, last night's mob would not have got near us. So to overcome that was great, but to overcome what we did in 89, including great opposition, is IMO more deserving of being called the best ever.

But last night is up there with the gutsiest performances of all time. Something to stand up and applaud.

1. Game 2, 1989 - pure guts
2. Game 3, 2006 - 3 awful decisions in 15 minutes yet we scored two tries in the final 8 mins. Our first Origin series win in 3 years, and look where we are now?
3. Game 2, 2009 - Won it with our defence after a couple of dodgey calls. It's up there because it's historic IMO.

The Rock said:
Greatest win? Lolz.

All I know is - Is the 2007-2009 QLD team is the best rugby league team of all time. It has to be.

What about the Broncos team of 1992/93? All class, fond memories icon_thumbs_u

OXY-351 said:
I think the last 2 games of 2006 were very special. After losing game 1, QLD needed to win game 2 to avoid a 4th straight series defeat. They come to Lang Park in front of a sellout crowd and smash the blues 30-6. Then in game 3, with 17 blues and 2 refs against them, they pull out a win in the dying stages to win the series, and in hindsight set themselves up to win 4 series in a row.

+100000

My personal best origin, was game 3 2006

How GOOD was Fatty post match. He's a passionate QLDER that one. He could barely hold back his tears. I loved his biased commentary! He can't help himself.

I agree that NSW were woeful and inept but you cannot help but stand applaud QLD's performance last night. True, true warriors.

Game 3 2006 and this one have been the best Origin matches of the 2000's IMO. The two best of the decade clearly.

But there have been so many awesome matches in the past, so can't narrow it down. If I was doing a top 10 Origin matches list, it would definitely be included.

Really though? Given the circumstances (injury, illness, bad decisions, impending history) I think it was one of the bravest Queensland performances, yes. But best origins?

I don't think any Origin where tries like Inglis and Folau get scored can be considered "great". And the handling errors...

It was a great match due to the context of the issues surrounding it, but it was a pretty ordinary game of football in retrospect.

lockyer47 said:
How GOOD was Fatty post match. He's a passionate QLDER that one. He could barely hold back his tears. I loved his biased commentary! He can't help himself.

I agree that NSW were woeful and inept but you cannot help but stand applaud QLD's performance last night. True, true warriors.
+1.

Why is it that you see passionate blokes that bleed maroon like Fatty, Walters, Gilly, Alfy etc etc all hanging around the camp getting involve, helping out etc. and the only Blue you see is Andrew Johns? Where are all their oldboys? [icon_shru

The Rock said:
Coxy, I actually mentioned to my mate while we were sitting at the game that this was one of the most entertaining origin matches for a while. Maybe I'll re-watch it again, but I thought it was great.

I agree.

It was a lot more open then Origin normally is.

ningnangnong said:
The Rock said:
Coxy, I actually mentioned to my mate while we were sitting at the game that this was one of the most entertaining origin matches for a while. Maybe I'll re-watch it again, but I thought it was great.

I agree.

It was a lot more open then Origin normally is.
It had the 2 types of game, the first half was open and exciting play.

Then in the 2nd half once the injuries set in it was a real grind, guts and determination type game.

I for one loved it! icon_thumbs_u

Yeah, not saying it wasn't entertaining, but it didn't "feel" like Origin so much. You don't score piss easy tries like Inglis and Folau scored in Origin.

Maybe they should replace next years origin series with a QLD version of city v country. Would be a much more competitive match

Ha!

Nah, I have a hunch Ebony, Ivory and Locky will hang up the maroon jerseys at the end of this series...so next year is a whole new ball game.

QLD would not have won any of the last 4 series without Price and Civoniceva. Fact.

Coxy said:
Ha!

Nah, I have a hunch Ebony, Ivory and Locky will hang up the maroon jerseys at the end of this series...so next year is a whole new ball game.

QLD would not have won any of the last 4 series without Price and Civoniceva. Fact.

Agreed on the last line, however i think price will go around again. He wont retire from NRL and has said over and over that whiles hes playing, he will be there for QLD

Yeah, but losing Petero will be a huge blow if he does hang up the boots. Hannant looks better this year than he did last year, but he's not ready to make that step.

It almost feels like it has become a bit of a competition between Petero and Price - "who can go on the longest?". I think if one sticks around then the other will too. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.