Watching the '92 GF...

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Things I'm noticing are: no wrestle, speed of the play the ball is much, much faster, which then leads to more offloads and enterprising play around the ruck, which in turn gives the men out side more space to work in. The ref is letting the game play naturally and not giving away penalties every 5 seconds - again, this leads to more enterprising play, more passes, more flow of the game.

Dare I say I actually prefer it?

What has happened to the game these days that it's become what it is now, when compared to the game from 92?

Things I'm noticing are: no wrestle, speed of the play the ball is much, much faster, which then leads to more offloads and enterprising play around the ruck, which in turn gives the men out side more space to work in. The ref is letting the game play naturally and not giving away penalties every 5 seconds - again, this leads to more enterprising play, more passes, more flow of the game.

What has happened to the game these days that it's become what it is now, when compared to the game from 92?

The footy we played in '15 was as good as anything that has come before, imo.

Trust me, the refs and the game overall was criticised then just as much as it is today. Obviously, social media has brought all that out in the open. RL fans have always had a knack of devaluing the game they love. It holds the sport back a bit.

Did you witness that team in the early and late 90's (early millennium)? Nothing they have had since even compares.

That's your opinion. For a while there, it looked like we had a new Langer/Walters with the MilfHunter combo. Some of our attack that year was as good as I've ever seen.

The game, players and overall product is far too over produced these days.

Did you witness that team in the early and late 90's (early millennium)? Nothing they have had since even compares.
I didn't watch heaps of footy back then, but I followed the Broncos as a casual fan. The skill of that team is pretty crazy, but I was more commenting on how the game was played, how it flowed etc. Even St. George were throwing the ball around heaps, much more play around the ruck, inside passes etc.

I agree that 2015 was amazing to watch from us. That said, as much rubbish as the Storm (rightly of course) get for the introduction of wrestling, grubbiness, etc, the Storm this year are great to watch. I just wish they (and teams like the Sharks and Cowboys) were not allowed to get away with as much in the ruck as they do. Watching two attacking minded teams go at it (and being given a fair and equal ruling by the refs) is so much fun to watch.

This 'managing' instead of refereeing is just so blatantly altering and manufacturing results, it is verging on criminal.

I can't watch games from the early to mid 90's anymore. It just does too well to illustrate the rapid growth of the cancer in our sport that is Bellyacheball. To think this **** was ruining our game not only with this but with salary cap cheating at the same time. How arrogant and self indulgent can one sports club be?

That's why Walters was so appealing as attacking/assistant coach. He came from that era and our 2015 style was like a modernised version. Obviously Wayne for whatever reason doesn't like that style and 2015 broncos is a distant memory.

Watching it if Lockyer didn't miss so many the scoreline would have been an even bigger massacre. But man oh man you could see how great he was going to be. That pass from Kevie on Lockyer's 3rd try was absolutely sublime. "Thorn, he will score.......it's like calling the sevens"

Last edited:
Man, Lockyer had some serious toe.

Watching it if Lockyer didn't miss so many the scoreline would have been an even bigger massacre. But man oh man you could see how great he was going to be. That pass from Kevie on Lockyer's 3rd try was absolutely sublime. "Thorn, he will score.......it's like calling the sevens"
Geeze I rated De Vere too.

Best part was being there( 92 gf ). The Pearl, front on ,running straight at my mate and I. Watching him weave over 80-90 metres. We were just behind the dead ball line and the Broncos were nice enough to score three of their tries right in front of us. Cann was enormous.

Yeah I always rated Devere and a player I'd happily have in my side if I was a coach. Solid defender, solid in attack The sort of player unlikely to make a critical error and one of the Bronco's better goal kickers. You might argue there were better gifted or talented players, but you know with a player like Devere he would show up to play, rarely disappointing. Won't forget the staple job he had done in SOO.

09a7f707da5c90c346ba4a5bc41a4284

98 Bronocs..maybe the strongest club team of all time.
Yeah I always rated Devere and a player I'd happily have in my side if I was a coach. Solid defender, solid in attack The sort of player unlikely to make a critical error and one of the Bronco's better goal kickers. You might argue there were better gifted or talented players, but you know with a player like Devere he would show up to play, rarely disappointing. Won't forget the staple job he had done in SOO.

09a7f707da5c90c346ba4a5bc41a4284

..or Locky putting him over the sideline:biggrin:

Yeah but when your going up against a player like Lockyer, you can forgive him of that :wink:

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • MrRobot
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
  • bb_gun
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.