Watching the '92 GF...

Looking at that game look how far back their backline is set, with different angled runners every time. You could see a Roberts playing the renouf role in those backlines , Oates for sailor, Milford for Walters etc. The thing you notice is everything is done at pace. No jogging plays. No shallow lines for resets. They use the whole half of a football field to make that line break and back it up when it happens. I don't honestly know if they were more talented, but they were more courageous in the style of attack. Renouf passing to a defender on a break isn't the disaster it is in this one as they know they will get another chance.

Man, Lockyer had some serious toe.

Sucked at kicking goals though. Alfie was tiny but took on the line at will. Hopefully kodi can do it next year because hunt certainly hasn't.

In a lot of ways I blame the media. Everything small is made big because they use to have as much time with players as they wanted. They wrote for papers and league week ect that only die hards read. Now with 24 hr news and social media stories are blown up. Reactions are instant. That high shot on Slater was like it had never happened before it was a week long story. As is everything else, Refs are under the same scrutiny. For years they asked for the obstruction rule to be made black and white and now they say its not black and white. They say the game is not as tough then scream murder at a high shot. Their never happy because if you were you wouldnt chune in to hear that idiot ben icon talk about how we should ban the takle in anything but the nrl. Absolute fools in the media ruining the game.

The difference between now and 25 years ago is that the game has become optimised.

The players are stronger, faster and more skillful than ever before. That means there's less mistakes and less opportunity for enterprising football.

On top of that, the defence has improved as coach's have found ways to manipulate the ruck. Everybody blames Bellamy for the change, but if you need to see a changing of the guard game, look no further than the 02 Prelim final between Sydney and Brisbane.

Unless coach's begin to play around with the concept of player positions and we see changes like we have in the NBA, then the 'get to your kick/block play' mentality is here to stay.

I think its still possible to play that style but it requires a determination and courage lacking in teams now. Its much easier to fall on the tried and tested strategies to wear teams down, piece by set piece. Its like coaches, having found a way to win will accept no other exists. If you go away from the status quo to inovate, you shift the focus of every loss from the players to the coach. The players too are brought up to play that way. A coach would require an across the board change from rookie development to development teams' play styles. Not something easy to do.
On the plus side you would have something unique and worth watching. A more skilled team would definitely find advantage with it. I think the broncos approach at the moment is heading that way but the halves lack of form/application and constant changing of players leading to deficiencies in cohesion in both attack and defence.
I long for a more drilled team, with a stable, in form spine. That's what's different between the broncos then and now

The Raiders last year played that attacking style and I've got to say, I loved it. This year they've been worked out and have realised they have nothing other than Leipana.

Us on the other hand need to pursue that style we pulled out in the first 15 minutes against Parra and hope that it isn't Klein Reffing because if it isn't we might be a chance at going a little longer before the square ups start.

I am the opposite. Can't stand watching anything from about 2000 beforehand.
The difference between now and 25 years ago is that the game has become optimised.

The players are stronger, faster and more skillful than ever before. That means there's less mistakes and less opportunity for enterprising football.

On top of that, the defence has improved as coach's have found ways to manipulate the ruck. Everybody blames Bellamy for the change, but if you need to see a changing of the guard game, look no further than the 02 Prelim final between Sydney and Brisbane.

Unless coach's begin to play around with the concept of player positions and we see changes like we have in the NBA, then the 'get to your kick/block play' mentality is here to stay.

Yep there is no way you could play like they did 20 years ago today. Would be smashed off the park. Penrith play about as similar style as you get to the 90s by design or just ineptness and they never look they can score a try in the 20m zone. Sure you will get the odd game where it all clicks but most times it will come up with fresh air. Defences are too good now and shit over the quality of back then

That's why Walters was so appealing as attacking/assistant coach. He came from that era and our 2015 style was like a modernised version. Obviously Wayne for whatever reason doesn't like that style and 2015 broncos is a distant memory.
Not playing that 2015 style in the second half of grand final is why we lost.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.