VOTE Wayne Bennets Replacement

Discussion in 'The Rumour Mill' started by Fitzy, Oct 21, 2018.

Pick a Coach

1. Kevin Walters

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Jason Demetriou

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Anthony Seibold

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  4. Michael Maguire

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Foordy

Foordy

So you're giving credit to the Owner and football manager (or was he CEO then?) ... either way the coach is far more influential on a teams performance than either

2. pagey

pagey NRL Captain

I'm more talking about recruitment.

3. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

Did Siebold inherit a better team than Madge as well??

4. Foordy

Foordy

this is the team that Madge put together ...

5. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

There was talk at the start of this year that Sam could move to second row or prop so Murray could play lock.

Might happen next year with Crichton moving on

6. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

Happens all the time especially If you jag one no one was expecting or have a young team.

Hawks surprised everyone in 2008 and then didn't make the finals in 2009, didn't win another one until 2013 and then won three in a row. Clarkson has four now.

Robinson went from premiers to second last a few years later and didn't win another one for five years.

7. Pub Steak

Pub Steak NYC Player

Bennett is better than all 4 put together. Stats and no stats. But from the 4 Madge is by far the better option for a club like the broncs. Too much media and other pressure for a rookie coach. I like niko playing in the halves but for the anti nicko in 7 crew out there, I dare say Madge will keep him in the 7. He plays him as a half for NZ and rates him highly. He prob won’t move on Macca either as he showed by sticking with farrah. Either way I still think he will go pretty well. Shame they’re too stupid to realise we already have the best coach in the nrl and the issues we’ve been having are much much deeper.

Horseheadsup likes this.
  8. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

This been posted?

Attached Files:

9. Morkel

Morkel

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...t/news-story/681b9b3ef3bf92fa2733807b53955c4f

Wayne Bennett was keen to see out his contract in Brisbane until the end according The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley.
    The coaching carousel which dominated the first part of the off-season led to Bennett being sensationally fired from his post with former Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold brought in after a prolonged and destructive drama and the pair swapping roles.
    But speaking on NRL360, Crawley said Bennett was eager to see out his contract with the Broncos, even knocking back the West Tigers’ three-year deal.
    The messy divorce reached a crescendo when Bennett heard of the Broncos’ decision to end his contract while he was coaching England after the NRL season.
    “I spoke to Wayne several times during the course of the end of last year and every single time he said to me ‘I will be honouring my contract’ — that’s what he said, and (CEO) Paul White and (chairman) Karl Morris said the same,” Crawley said.

“He had a contract for 2019. He knocked back a three-year deal to go to the Wests Tigers because he wanted to stay there for that final season.
    “He contacted Souths to get a job for 2020. The Tigers wanted him to start in 2019, he said ‘no I can’t do that’.
    “What happened after that, he says he had the full intention to stay there at the Broncos until Shane Richardson got on a plane and went to England and said ‘mate, they’re trying to move you out’. That was the first he says he knew about it.”
    The revelation comes a day after Darren Lockyer admitted the pair “are not on great speaking terms”.
    While Lockyer also revealed he was in Kevin Walters’ bad books for his part in the Broncos board passing on the Queensland Origin coach, but Crawley said the club only had eyes for one man.
    “I think you’ve seen in Kevin Walters’ reaction to how he was treated in the interview process that to me didn’t appear to be a process — I think they had their eye on Anthony Seibold from July,” Crawley said.

“I think initially he was extremely disappointed the Broncos didn’t want to keep him beyond 2019, but I think he’d moved beyond that.
    “Now, it’s like people have rewrote history and said Wayne was upset with (Darren) Lockyer making the decision to move him on, when in actual fact, he was upset with the process and the way it played out.”

abashii likes this.
  10. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

A lot of what Paul said isn't supported by facts, especially since Locky has spoken about how they are not on speaking terms. If he was upset only about a process why would he not be talking to Locky.

I am sick to **** death of the poor Kevin Walters bullshit that the media is spinning. It's like he should have been handed the head coach because he is a top bloke, like that is all that is required to be a good coach. He is not a great coach, the evidence is there and if the Broncos appointed Seibold over him it isn't a campaign or a conspiracy it's just a good **** decision.

Morkel likes this.
  11. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

Personally think the jury is still out on whether he's a good coach or not, but the whinging regarding him not getting the Broncos job has got to stop. We made our decision, now get on with it. Crying about it isn't going to change our minds.

Locky's Left Boot and Harry Sack like this.
  12. abashii

abashii NRL Player

Because as a board member Locky has some responsibility for the process.

13. teampjta

teampjta NYC Player

To be fair to Kevvie, he was probably given assurances that the broncs job was his, otherwise why would he have turned down the Titans job.

That said we moved the GOAT and hired the heir apparent. When that type of opportunity presents itself we did what most successful business do, we did what’s best for us, unfortunately for Kev hindsight is 20/20. He should have taken the Titans job

Sproj likes this.
  14. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

Was he given these assurances though? If so then why did he leave? I know the 'reason' was to focus on QLD but surely if you are told you are the frontrunner to take over a job you have coveted for so long you don't leave for anything.

15. Foordy

Foordy

there were also rumours that him leaving rubbed the board the wrong way, likely setting him back in his bid to take over from Bennett

16. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

If he was given any assurances I'm sure the ex-players on his bandwagon would have made it public knowledge by now, I can see him turning down the Titans job solely because he had his heart set on coaching us. I generally support the club on any signings or appointments they make as I assume they know better than me, and I would have supported signing Walters IF they had gone that way, but they didn't. Like most of us on here I'm looking very, very forward to this season and seeing what Seibold can do with us...8 days to go.

Gaz and john1420 like this.
  17. mitch222

mitch222 State of Origin Rep

What evidence? He hasn't coached first grade NRL yet.

18. It's hard to make an evaluation on if he would be a successful NRL grade coach but at the same time if he and others(such as the media) went into this with a mentality that he was a front runner for the position they are just kidding themselves. The Broncos previously appointed two coaches within the clubs coaching ranks that had no NRL head coach experience and they both failed to deliver, the Broncos weren't going to make the same mistake and would want to be assured that whoever replaces Bennett as head coach had at least even some credibility at the NRL level as a head coach. I'm not saying Kevin isn't capable of someday taking the reigns of an NRL club as a head coach, I'm just not convinced at present he is capable of doing so.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    The thing about Walters is that, that is at least two occasions I am aware of now where I have read his presentation and performance in an interview situation has been completely underwhelming. In 2012 he was one of the last two for the Tigers coaching job with Mick Potter and I recall reading that Potter's presentation to the Board/selection committee blew Walter's out of the water. Apparently professional v very unprofessional.

He may just suck at interviews, but if you cannot sell yourself at that stage, it is going to be difficult for him to convince someone to give him the reins at a club.