NEWS Wayne Bennett declares: 'I will stick with Kodi at half'

It's funny when people blame Hunt for the Grand Final loss. But if you watch the last two minutes it's Milford who is stripped of the ball on half way on the 4th tackle with only 1 minute to go in the match. If we complete that set and get a kick away then we 95% win that game.

You are actually completely wrong. It was Hunt who was stripped of the ball just over the halfway line by Kyle Feldt. That play gave them possession for the last minute and the rest is history. Go back and watch it.

Porthoz looking back I think I did misquote you and for that I apologise.

In an ideal situation I agree Milford should remain the x factor player, in fact I would prefer the club very much so continue to look for options for a playmaker that could fit the bill we need, we seriously need someone who can at the very least provide us a decent kicking game and direct the troops around, but if people are talking about two running halves then some compromise needs to be given for both involved. Perhaps your right, perhaps Milford should remain the x factor player primarily, but if he wants to really step up IMO he still needs to demonstrate a reliable(not saying outstanding) kicking game and a decent ability to direct the troops, that isn't asking a lot.
No need to apologise mate, we're having a civil discussion. :superhappythumbsup:

I think Anthony has improved his kicking, and I hope he will continue to do so, as well as taking more leadership, but I sincerely doubt Anthony has the vision and game intelligence required for such a role, at least not yet.
In fact I think he is being pushed into a role that doesn't suit him, and in my opinion, it's the burden put on him to direct and organise the team, that has taken away from his main talents, instead of his perceived weight issues (not a dig at anyone).

Of course, I hope he will continue to develop and get to the heights of a Langer, Walters or even Locky, but regardless of his price tag, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect that so quickly, especially because all of the above players had a support partner Milford doesn't have.

I will add one point, lets make Kahu the go to man for field goals, not only is he a quality conversion kicker but he does strike those field goal attempts pretty sweetly and can do so on either foot.
Agreed. Seems to nail them with ease and looks very comfortable taking them.

No need to apologise mate, we're having a civil discussion. :superhappythumbsup:

I think Anthony has improved his kicking, and I hope he will continue to do so, as well as taking more leadership, but I sincerely doubt Anthony has the vision and game intelligence required for such a role, at least not yet.
In fact I think he is being pushed into a role that doesn't suit him, and in my opinion, it's the burden put on him to direct and organise the team, that has taken away from his main talents, instead of his perceived weight issues (not a dig at anyone).

Of course, I hope he will continue to develop and get to the heights of a Langer, Walters or even Locky, but regardless of his price tag, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect that so quickly, especially because all of the above players had a support partner Milford doesn't have.

Wasn't it his vision that locky and Bennett both gushed over , when asked about his best quality?

Wasn't it his vision that locky and Bennett both gushed over , when asked about his best quality?
We're probably talking about 2 different things. Milford is an opportunist without a doubt, which I guess you could call a type of vision. Ben Hunt is also very good at that!

However, I'm not sure he can identify a (temporary) weakness in the opponent and craft a tactic to take advantage of it as a team (whether in a few plays or even a few sets), which is a different type of vision all together, and an immensely important part of an organising half's arsenal, as is the ability to identify the best 5th tackle option, such as kicking for a repeat set (or a try if lucky) instead of hail mary when nothing is on, and lose possession.

Yep, Kodi should be the one bogged down with the play making and Milf should be our elusive strike half. I like how relaxed Kodi looked throwing those short balls around last year. He's a cool customer. And Milf IMO was just starting to get into the groove right before he got injured last year.

If it's gotta be Kodi - It's gotta be Kodi.. Come kickoff in round one, I'm a fan of Kodi's. Prove us skeptics wrong son.

Am so looking forward to this season.

Nikorima was adequate for us last year. This pre-season under Kevvie, and the knowledge that he can train purely for halfback is going to raise him up another level. I can see him becoming a top NRL half at this projectory.

I will add one point, lets make Kahu the go to man for field goals, not only is he a quality conversion kicker but he does strike those field goal attempts pretty sweetly and can do so on either foot.
Both players should be lined up to take it from either side of the ruck to give the dummy half options.

I'm not sure you can have a player on that much money like milford,and then bring someone in to organise without compromising something. Taylors on a million, and he hasn't played origin. Thureson, Cronk etc are not going anywhere.
It leaves us doing what we have: buy young development players in the hope 1 makes it (reasonable exectation), and build upon the skills of players we have, adapting the game plan to make the most of their strengths.
But someone has to do the job however imperfectly in the mean time. Knik is no more suited to that role than Milford, but Milford is paid as the best player on the team and is more secure in his role. Adapting his game might diminish his running Game but only in the short term and will aid his longevity in the game, in the long run. Both players need those skills however much they use them in a game and I would rather Milford have the balI more.
Think of it as an investment in skills that will need to be learnt eventually anyway.

We're probably talking about 2 different things. Milford is an opportunist without a doubt, which I guess you could call a type of vision. Ben Hunt is also very good at that!

However, I'm not sure he can identify a (temporary) weakness in the opponent and craft a tactic to take advantage of it as a team (whether in a few plays or even a few sets), which is a different type of vision all together, and an immensely important part of an organising half's arsenal, as is the ability to identify the best 5th tackle option, such as kicking for a repeat set (or a try if lucky) instead of hail mary when nothing is on, and lose possession.

I completely agree! But i think they meant the latter, which i personally haven't seen yet.
And that is why i believe it is a defining season for milf , he needs to go to another level. A level in which he needs to start showcasing these skills that he possesses.
Smokin joe has mentioned that ash Taylor needs to take on the line more and use his running game, or turn into the next jamie soward. I think milf needs to step up his short kicking game and decision making. You could probably through in passing game aswell.

I completely agree! But i think they meant the latter, which i personally haven't seen yet.
And that is why i believe it is a defining season for milf , he needs to go to another level. A level in which he needs to start showcasing these skills that he possesses.
Smokin joe has mentioned that ash Taylor needs to take on the line more and use his running game, or turn into the next jamie soward. I think milf needs to step up his short kicking game and decision making. You could probably through in passing game aswell.
I can't imagine either Bennett or Locky even thinking that of Milford. It's not something he has ever displayed imo.

I think Milf's passing and short kicking game are pretty good actually. Long and cross kicking not so much, while decision making definitely needs improvement.

Unfortunately, the same applies to Kodi... so here's hoping he takes on more of the organisation role, while allowing Milford to pick his moments, and if possible, also develops a decent long kicking game.

Walters will play a key role in helping both halves go to another level, and I definitely wouldn't be against Locky putting on a few kicking clinics...

Both players should be lined up to take it from either side of the ruck to give the dummy half options.

Definitely you need to have sufficient options in certain situations, but realistically Kahu is the better option to take if available.

I can't imagine either Bennett or Locky even thinking that of Milford. It's not something he has ever displayed imo.

I think Milf's passing and short kicking game are pretty good actually. Long and cross kicking not so much, while decision making definitely needs improvement.

Unfortunately, the same applies to Kodi... so here's hoping he takes on more of the organisation role, while allowing Milford to pick his moments, and if possible, also develops a decent long kicking game.

Walters will play a key role in helping both halves go to another level, and I definitely wouldn't be against Locky putting on a few kicking clinics...

Agree his short kicking game is good but underutilized imo. As for passing game i disagree , i remember more than a few times passes going overhead and to ground. I might be being a bit harsh but i think it needs work.

Edit: Pointless post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure you can have a player on that much money like milford,and then bring someone in to organise without compromising something. Taylors on a million, and he hasn't played origin. Thureson, Cronk etc are not going anywhere.
It leaves us doing what we have: buy young development players in the hope 1 makes it (reasonable exectation), and build upon the skills of players we have, adapting the game plan to make the most of their strengths.
But someone has to do the job however imperfectly in the mean time. Knik is no more suited to that role than Milford, but Milford is paid as the best player on the team and is more secure in his role. Adapting his game might diminish his running Game but only in the short term and will aid his longevity in the game, in the long run. Both players need those skills however much they use them in a game and I would rather Milford have the balI more.
Think of it as an investment in skills that will need to be learnt eventually anyway.
Yes buy young development players because of the salary cap and milf, like jack bird or jimmy.

I am not sure you have too much to worry about the salary cap in the TPA era big marn.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • BruiserMk1
  • ettybay
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • lynx000
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Scdeac
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.