Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

I have to disagree with you there. The talented players you just find a way to keep them. If Bennett sacked every player that were bad trainers we would’ve missed out being entertained by the likes of Sailor, Renouf, Hodges...

I was listening to a podcast with Anthony Watmough the other week. He mentioned how him and the older boys used to take pay cuts just so they can keep the squad together. Success was more important than money. Once DCE started making a name for himself he wanted the big bucks and wasn’t willing to play for unders. This pissed off Watmough and the Stewart brothers which cause a divide in the group.
Manly haven’t recovered since.

The point is clubs with good culture, players are willing to take less. If Bennett was still here, he would find a way to keep them.
It is much easier to say no to inexperienced coaches like Seibold and Walters. I highly doubt young talents like Fifta and Walsh would be chasing big coin so early in their careers if Bennett was around to develop their games.
That’s a whole lot of assumption you are passing on as fact.

Disagree with all of that ...

Fifita - even the great Wayne Bennett doesn't get a guy to sacrifice 500k a year to play under him.

Walsh - Wayne Bennett would never pay the sort of money the Warriors paid for Walsh, to a rookie that has never even played reserve grade footy

Gagai - there is a better than even chance that if Gagai doesn't get sacked by the Broncos, he never becomes the player he is today, as he never starts to take his rugby league career seriously ... he would have bounced around from club to club before finally running out of chances in the NRL and ending up in England
Wayne has Fifita locked up before the titans money even becomes an issue

Doubtful ... because, remember he has nothing to do with contracts
Interesting because in another thread Wayne has gone all in to buy a premiership

Sometimes the money is just too good to turn down no matter who the coach is.

I have to disagree with you there. The talented players you just find a way to keep them. If Bennett sacked every player that were bad trainers we would’ve missed out being entertained by the likes of Sailor, Renouf, Hodges...

I was listening to a podcast with Anthony Watmough the other week. He mentioned how him and the older boys used to take pay cuts just so they can keep the squad together. Success was more important than money. Once DCE started making a name for himself he wanted the big bucks and wasn’t willing to play for unders. This pissed off Watmough and the Stewart brothers which cause a divide in the group.
Manly haven’t recovered since.

The point is clubs with good culture, players are willing to take less. If Bennett was still here, he would find a way to keep them.
It is much easier to say no to inexperienced coaches like Seibold and Walters. I highly doubt young talents like Fifta and Walsh would be chasing big coin so early in their careers if Bennett was around to develop their games.

We've already established that Watmough, GStewart etc were full of shit with the "staying for less". It came out that they just had massively back-ended deals, meaning they were still getting their full big contracts, it's just what they missed out on on year 1 they got back in year 3. Watmough himself was on something like $900k on his last year with them, remembering this was a time when top forwards were getting $450k.

We've already established that Watmough, GStewart etc were full of shit with the "staying for less". It came out that they just had massively back-ended deals, meaning they were still getting their full big contracts, it's just what they missed out on on year 1 they got back in year 3. Watmough himself was on something like $900k on his last year with them, remembering this was a time when top forwards were getting $450k.
Everyone always runs into contract dramas except the roosters and it’s never questioned by anyone.

A novel idea the broncos board are yet to figure out it seems.

I think we need a consensus here on who to blame/give credit to for signings.

When they go wrong, or lose a player the board/CEO are blamed.

When they go right, it seems like all credit is given to the coach

I’ll give you that, is he the only one we got done pre-emptively?

Well, we got a few others pre-emptively, but they didn't work out.

Fifita should have been locked up, but you can't blame him given the state of the club. Or the impossible to refuse Titans offer.

We've been told Broncos coaches get what they want. Maybe not the specifics though i,e years/cost.

Yes, I’m aware of that.

You can re-sign players at any time.
Seems some people will find any stick to beat poor old clint with 🤔

Hopefully, you are aware then he signed a contract extension in 2018, when Bennett was coach.

Or is just Nolan and the coaches? Or just Nolan. I don’t know I just want it fixed.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • broncs30
  • phoenix
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.