Wayne Bennett has stuffed Brisbane for 2018

I think we just need better structured set plays for this situation. We can't just rely on Boyd out the back even though he's the best at it going around. It gets VERY predictable. We have strike centres. We need to build plays around getting then some space. Like getting tackled on the left side of the field near the set mark and setting up a sweeping backline movement with all bodies in motion to the right etc

I feel that's what we're missing in those moments.

Completely agree mate, this has to come from our 6 & 7 mostly. To some extend 9 & 1 also. If the 6 & 7 do not have the maturity and management ability we will not be steered the right way and hence debacles ensue that happened last season.

If Bennett is as good as his reputation and record suggests, I wonder if he is cooking up a revolutionary game plan. Obviously, all premierships are built on defense BUT the point of difference can be the attack, this may be where Bird fits into the puzzle.

Obviously every side has their attack come from some combination of their 1, 6, 7 and 9. Mostly, that is what sides do and the Broncos will be no different. However, with Bird, Roberts and Lodge all having the ability to play make, I wonder if they will be working on some kind of hybrid traditional play with a Walkers brothers' lite twist. It would be hard to make it work at NRL level BUT if it does, it could be the point of difference that makes this very good side become premiership contenders.

Reckon Bennett is going for a full power game, dent the line, let the little/fast dudes sniff around the ruck like Milf and Roberts.

Bigger bodies all seemingly attributing for that. Probably not as enticing on the eye as perhaps Melbourne or others, but it'll work well ... as long as those same big bodies aren't stuff after 10mins and sitting ducks.

Reckon Bennett is going for a full power game, dent the line, let the little/fast dudes sniff around the ruck like Milf and Roberts.

Bigger bodies all seemingly attributing for that. Probably not as enticing on the eye as perhaps Melbourne or others, but it'll work well ... as long as those same big bodies aren't stuff after 10mins and sitting ducks.

I think it could really be exciting if he goes that path given just how electric the Broncs little men can be.

Bennett's teams have been the most successful in seasons where they defended super well. Regardless of happens with our attack, I hope he gets them playing for each other, scrambling, cover tackling etc. like in the past.

I think it could really be exciting if he goes that path given just how electric the Broncs little men can be.
I agree entirely.

Don't count out how tiring it is to have to tackle one 115 kg bloke followed by another 115 kg bloke followed by another 115 kg bloke (particularly if a few can pass and unload).

It's also infinitely harder top wrestle blokes who are bigger and stronger.

Also, having bigger bodies invariably means that you need to commit more defenders to them (this causes the line to creep in - the A, B and C defender on each side are usually closer to each other as its harder to tackle big blokes with less bodies)

Finally, a big guy will sometimes just run over a bloke (see NSA in the semis against us last year).

I think if our forwards can dominate, our backs will create a lot of scoring opportunities.

Bennett's teams have been the most successful in seasons where they defended super well. Regardless of happens with our attack, I hope he gets them playing for each other, scrambling, cover tackling etc. like in the past.

If we can dominate the ruck with a big pack then teams won't get as many chances close to our line.

until our huge pack gets tired and the opposition little men start to run riot
that's the risk.

but also, it's much easier for bigger guys to win the wrestle defensively. So the other team get slow play of the balls and the other team's little men get no momentum (so they can't run riot).

that's the risk.

but also, it's much easier for bigger guys to win the wrestle defensively. So the other team get slow play of the balls and the other team's little men get no momentum (so they can't run riot).

It's a fine line ... while you do obviously need some size, you need to be careful not to go overboard.

take a look at the sides with arguably the 3 biggest packs in the comp (Raider, Bulldogs and Warriors) ... all 3 missed the finals in 2017. and the Warriors in particular have got some pretty good little men to run riot

It's a fine line ... while you do obviously need some size, you need to be careful not to go overboard.

take a look at the sides with arguably the 3 biggest packs in the comp (Raider, Bulldogs and Warriors) ... all 3 missed the finals in 2017. and the Warriors in particular have got some pretty good little men to run riot

Storm premieres with man mountains.

We need to make sure that our big guys are fit. Also I doubt that you can carry a bench hooker if you are playing a huge pack.

I'd think Melbourne would be close to the biggest pack in the comp. The Bromwich boys, NSA - they are monsters.

So has anyone got any ideas of the smokey for Bennett this year. He always has one that he pulls a suprise selection.

So has anyone got any ideas of the smokey for Bennett this year. He always has one that he pulls a suprise selection.
I'm hoping Isaako grabs the wing spot if it becomes available

It won’t happen, even though it would be interesting. I’d put a carton on it. Bennett has been very public in backing Kodi at half this year.

Yeah - probably not.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.