NEWS Wayne Bennett hits Brisbane Broncos with $400k claim

Really? You think an argument over monies owed in a contractual arrangement between the Souths coach and the Bronco's management will keep the players awake at night? Really? Rrriiiigggghhhttttt! Ha ha
No, of course it wont. However, the additional media pressure brought on by attempting to sue a news limited owned company probably will. If you think the pressure on us last year was bad, bennett just found a way for it to carry on for him and his team at souths.

No, of course it wont. However, the additional media pressure brought on by attempting to sue a news limited owned company probably will. If you think the pressure on us last year was bad, bennett just found a way for it to carry on for him and his team at souths.
So if I understand you, your concern is for the souths players? You think some media reporting on a case that will likely only have a day in court, if that will disrupt the players to some large degree ? Ok. Personally I don't think any one of them would have more than a passing interest in the case, afterall it's not their club. Anyhoo, we'll see.

Who is really displaying blind loyalty? I think most have acknowledged the shenanigans are two-sided.

Sure some people, like me, appreciate WB for his achievements & efforts that moulded our club into the most successful sporting brand in Australia. There is no doubt he has played a huge part in our history, and out of 3 coaches, we have only ever been consistently competitive under his watch. There's also the small matter that he was our foundation coach, and our only premiership winning coach. For fans of greater rugby league in general, there's no denying he has been one of the best coaches for the development of the International game too, most other good coaches are selfish, just look at Bellamy.

Just because the board sacked him a year early, and he played a part in the rubbish drama, it doesn't mean we all have to think he's some worthless scrub now. He's arguably the most influential Bronco in history, or at the very least in the top 3.

Yes he behaved badly in the last 6 months, so did the club, so did the board, so did the CEO. We'll never know the truth, so to blindly call him a bitter old man when we truly don't know what happened behind the scenes is short sighted. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, I'm not really interested in taking sides.

I'm a Broncos fan first and foremost, WB has earned a lot of respect for his part of our history, and now that the board has made the decision it has, I am fully behind Seibold and want us to be holding a premiership trophy under his tenure. Just because I support the board making the decision and am excited for Seibold to coach us next year, it doesn't mean I have to diminish in any way what WB has brought to the club. He has also left the club in incredible shape, our roster is the most exciting it's been in a very long time.

Believe it or not, there is room to respect WB and to still be excited for the change of direction.

A common sense, balanced, mature position - on an internet forum? Cut it out spwn ;)

But truly, how is it that folks with balanced views (you, me, and plenty more here) are thrown into the WB haters group by some, and the WB lovers group by others? So very frustrating.

And if I may take your final comment and add something?

"Believe it or not, there is room to respect WB (yet still be disappointed with some of his decisions/actions, and to still be excited for the change of direction"

So if I understand you, your concern is for the souths players? You think some media reporting on a case that will likely only have a day in court, if that will disrupt the players to some large degree ? Ok. Personally I don't think any one of them would have more than a passing interest in the case, afterall it's not their club. Anyhoo, we'll see.

Hmmm, you should have been a lawyer with the accuracy of your time estimates. This will be a minimum of a 3-4 day hearing, possibly longer.

It would seem to me that the Bronco's should need to prove that WB broke the agreement and that they were just and reasonable with the sacking. I understand that from reports WB is bringing the action but surely they'd need to prove he'd sinned. I suppose both sides will need to prove something.

As they are the defendant they don’t need to prove anything at all. They can just sit there quietly if they wish. The burden of proof is entirely upon Wayne bringing the action as the plaintiff.

However their defence will be obviously much stronger if they can show that their sacking of him was entirely reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that after WB got down South someone came forward and mentioned that he/she had been in contact with the Bronco's and they'd actively been working with Souths to move WB while he still had a contract for 2019. What if WBs pronouncement about staying was a masterstroke and we only learn of the cleverness later? It does seem as though the Bronco's wanted their cake and still wanted to eat it at the same time.

If the size of the reported ask ($400k) is true, it’s pretty small fry all things considered, to be heading towards trial. The legal fees will likely be higher than that if a full hearing goes ahead...If he believes he has been sacked unfairly why not seek the entire contract value?

To me it seems Wayne (or his advisors...) are just dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get...

If he believes he has been sacked unfairly why not seek the entire contract value?

IIRC, it was reported that his contract had two parts, the coaching portion and some form of "image rights".

it was reported that he was paid out for his "image rights"

Fox sports are reporting that if Bennett does end up suing the Broncos, he is also "effectively" suing the Rabbitohs as apparently the Broncos and Rabbitohs came to an agreement to split any payout to Bennett 50/50

You can take it as read, I am not wrong, you can either accept that or remain ignorant of the reality.
Ok. Well I don't believe you but it's not important enough for me to research so hopefully we can leave it at that. Though if you provide a link to a shortish article, I'll read it.

Either way, doesn't change my basic premise one iota. There is absolutely no reason this will or should effect the performance of the respective teams.

Seibold has 1 or 2 years of grace because, Bird, Boyd, Milford and probably Gillett are on massive overs. Bennett has no excuse at all. If Souffs don't make the top 4, it'll be an indication Bennett stayed not only at the Broncos a year too long, but in the business a year too long.

Last edited:
Who is really displaying blind loyalty? I think most have acknowledged the shenanigans are two-sided.

Sure some people, like me, appreciate WB for his achievements & efforts that moulded our club into the most successful sporting brand in Australia. There is no doubt he has played a huge part in our history, and out of 3 coaches, we have only ever been consistently competitive under his watch. There's also the small matter that he was our foundation coach, and our only premiership winning coach. For fans of greater rugby league in general, there's no denying he has been one of the best coaches for the development of the International game too, most other good coaches are selfish, just look at Bellamy.

Just because the board sacked him a year early, and he played a part in the rubbish drama, it doesn't mean we all have to think he's some worthless scrub now. He's arguably the most influential Bronco in history, or at the very least in the top 3.

Yes he behaved badly in the last 6 months, so did the club, so did the board, so did the CEO. We'll never know the truth, so to blindly call him a bitter old man when we truly don't know what happened behind the scenes is short sighted. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, I'm not really interested in taking sides.

I'm a Broncos fan first and foremost, WB has earned a lot of respect for his part of our history, and now that the board has made the decision it has, I am fully behind Seibold and want us to be holding a premiership trophy under his tenure. Just because I support the board making the decision and am excited for Seibold to coach us next year, it doesn't mean I have to diminish in any way what WB has brought to the club. He has also left the club in incredible shape, our roster is the most exciting it's been in a very long time.

Believe it or not, there is room to respect WB and to still be excited for the change of direction.
It's not 'ageism' but it is very relevant.
1. Sterotypes are often true. He is behaving like a stereotypic bitter old man.

2. Remember the mantra about 'letting them go a year too early rather than a year too late'? He should swallow his own medicine with more dignity even though it seems to me, he already stayed around a year too long. As results suggest.

IIRC, it was reported that his contract had two parts, the coaching portion and some form of "image rights".

it was reported that he was paid out for his "image rights"

Yep and apparently he has submitted a letter of demand for a portion ($400k) of his coaching salary.

It is a ‘balance’ the more disappointment, the less respect.

Not sure what your point is mate?

I didn't say anything contrary to this

Simply that you can be disappointed by recent events yet still hold respect for the good he has done

Everybody has good and bad in them, everybody

If the Broncos can prove Wayne spoke to Souths players while still contracted to Broncos it would be hard to get compensation I would think

As they are the defendant they don’t need to prove anything at all. They can just sit there quietly if they wish. The burden of proof is entirely upon Wayne bringing the action as the plaintiff.

However their defence will be obviously much stronger if they can show that their sacking of him was entirely reasonable.

If the size of the reported ask ($400k) is true, it’s pretty small fry all things considered, to be heading towards trial. The legal fees will likely be higher than that if a full hearing goes ahead...If he believes he has been sacked unfairly why not seek the entire contract value?

To me it seems Wayne (or his advisors...) are just dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get...
That sentence in bold right there, says it all. He either breached the contract or he didn't.
As far as I'm concerned, I hope the Broncos call the bluff and let the courts decide... if it gets that far, which I highly doubt.

There is the ethical side of things. The board/management are entirely within their right to believe Bennett is no longer capable of delivering the results the Broncos expect (this isn't ageism, it's based on what has been demonstrated round by round on the field since 2015), and as far as I know, the offer to move Bennett up in the hierarchy of the Broncos on a long term position, was a show of respect and acknowledgement of his worth outside of the field.

The Broncos were entitled as an employer, to look for a new coach at any time they want, regardless of whether Bennett was contracted or not. Whether they were right about looking to replace Bennett is not a legal question, but the future will tell whether it was a sensible decision.

No matter what they did behind the scenes, it's definitely not a breach of contract until they actually sack the coach and replace him without justification, which does not appear to be the case, as there is evidence that Bennett was talking to Souths and its players about the 2019 season.

If it was without knowledge from the Broncos, it is a breach of contract.
If it was with knowledge from the Broncos, under the condition the early swap was going to happen, it became a breach of contract as soon as Bennett decided he wasn't moving after all. (I believe this is what probably happened)

Not sure what your point is mate?

I didn't say anything contrary to this

Simply that you can be disappointed by recent events yet still hold respect for the good he has done

Everybody has good and bad in them, everybody
I'm agreeing with your post. Simply saying it is in fact a balance. The more disappointing the actions the less respect is created.

That sentence in bold right there, says it all. He either breached the contract or he didn't.
As far as I'm concerned, I hope the Broncos call the bluff and let the courts decide... if it gets that far, which I highly doubt.

There is the ethical side of things. The board/management are entirely within their right to believe Bennett is no longer capable of delivering the results the Broncos expect (this isn't ageism, it's based on what has been demonstrated round by round on the field since 2015), and as far as I know, the offer to move Bennett up in the hierarchy of the Broncos on a long term position, was a show of respect and acknowledgement of his worth outside of the field.

The Broncos were entitled as an employer, to look for a new coach at any time they want, regardless of whether Bennett was contracted or not. Whether they were right about looking to replace Bennett is not a legal question, but the future will tell whether it was a sensible decision.

No matter what they did behind the scenes, it's definitely not a breach of contract until they actually sack the coach and replace him without justification, which does not appear to be the case, as there is evidence that Bennett was talking to Souths and its players about the 2019 season.

If it was without knowledge from the Broncos, it is a breach of contract.
If it was with knowledge from the Broncos, under the condition the early swap was going to happen, it became a breach of contract as soon as Bennett decided he wasn't moving after all. (I believe this is what probably happened)
I wonder if there's any real breach if WB said to a player, should I become coach in 2019 I would likely move you to fullback(or whatever). If he said, hypothetically speaking I probably would do etc etc. What if he said, if I were your coach I'd tell you to take the offer (whatever it is). I can't see how the act of simply talking with an opposition teams players could be enough to justify a sacking.

I would think he would have had to be giving them definitive advice or instructions and making decisions about their future roles. He may well have but I cannot know this unless hard copy exists, recordings etc. Otherwise he may just be shooting the breeze with the players, pure conjecture. Like you say, I hope it goes to court too but not for the reason you put forward. I'd like to see the Bronco's shenanigans exposed, at least about this matter. I have a feeling they will agree to settle the dispute quietly and not because it will hurt the brand due to negative publicity over the matter but because I believe they have something about which to be ashamed.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.