NEWS Wayne Bennett hits Brisbane Broncos with $400k claim

Would not be surprised if WB ended up with more than 400k, tbh.

Also the amount of free passes we give to White and Morris is too much.

Those two guys have completely ballsed this up and need moving on.

If you shaved Whites salary and paid WB 500 k over 5 years to stay on and be a mentor , and let him coach 2019, it would probably be no problem. And the bonus would be the bunnies imploding next year and guaranteed retention on tpj.

That wouldn't really have a basis in this particular law suit.

If that happened it would be a valid reason for Souths to terminate Seibold's contact without a pay out (not that there has been a suggestion he received one anyway)

This case will be fought in a court of law ... Not a court of morals ... And hypocrisy is not a legal argument

To a point, but couldnt they argue that Brisbane employed a coach doing exactly the same thing they are sacking one for? If they are using it as a reason to terminate Bennett, then surely they have to use the same standards across the organization as a whole?

Last edited:

If you shaved Whites salary and paid WB 500 k over 5 years to stay on and be a mentor , and let him coach 2019, it would probably be no problem. And the bonus would be the bunnies imploding next year and guaranteed retention on tpj.

I'd not a fan of the mentor thing, i'd prefer the club have a fresh start rather than having Wayne lingering in the background when a new coach took over. The clean slate is a big part of why I am excited about 2019.

Anyway I'm guessing the club anticipated something like this popping up, I was surprised when it appeared Wayne wouldn't be trying to get a payout..

Did they actually do anything wrong in all of this?

At the start of all of this, it was reported that the board told Bennett he will no longer be required after 2019 but were happy to let him see out his contract and transition into another role at the club which Bennett rejected and then started playing games in the media with his little 'they are trying to force me out' speech. They started the process of looking for another coach after failing to get Bellamy and were in negotiations with Seibold and then they signed him. By all reports both clubs were trying to negotiate a swap for 2019 but Bennett was making things difficult by refusing to just accept it and end this all peacefully instead forcing them to sack him. Then he was caught out breaching his contract and the Broncos then decided to sack him.

What exactly did White and co do wrong in all of this? By all reports, they were completely transparent with Bennett and the playing group. They just weren't revealing every single detail in the media to all of the fans which they didn't have to.

Right, of course you do. You feel vindicated because an employeee who was sacked and lied about wants compensation.

No. Why I must I spell everything out specifically? I feel vindicated because it seemed (and I still believe it) most of the most fervent in denouncing me were more loyal to Bennett than to the club. Now, IMO, Bennett has made it absolutely clear his main loyalty is to himself, not the club. 300k+ to work for a rival club + 800k from that club but it still isn't enough.

If Santa brings me crayons for Xmas, I will draw a picture and upload it for you:polutxoso:.

Doubt it. He will simply leave it in the hands of lawyers.
“Leave it in the hands of lawyers” still means meetings, updates, contracts, offers to consider, negotiations. The lawyer wont just do the deal he wants or make moves without the clients approval. It will be a distraction and is a negative move for souths. And with him trying to get $400,000 out of a news limited owned company it will also increase the media pressure on him and his team’s results, and whilst he doesnt care about that sort of thing I think our results this year shows that constant media pressure will eventually take a toll on the players.

Last edited:
“Leave it in the hands of lawyers” still means meetings, updates, contracts, offers to consider, negotiations. The lawyer wont just do the deal he wants or male moves without the clients approval. It will be a distraction and is a negative move for souths. And with him trying to get $400,000 out of a news limited owned company it will also increase the media pressure on him and his team’s results, and whilst he doesnt care about that sort of thing I think our results this year shows that constant media pressure will eventually take a toll on the players.
Updates by email once a month. After some months, a settlement offer. Take it or leave it. I don't think it will have any impact on how either team performs. If it goes to trail it might but that is a long way off yet. Time will tell.

Updates by email once a month. After some months, a settlement offer. Take it or leave it. I don't think it will have any impact on how either team performs. If it goes to trail it might but that is a long way off yet. Time will tell.
Yep, I’m sure the media will lay off him now...(SARCASM)...

And it’s $400,000. Lol, an email once a month means he probably needs a new lawyer..

Last edited:
Yep, I’m sure the media will lay off him now...(SARCASM)...

And it’s $400,000. Lol, an email once a month means he probably needs a new lawyer..

What % the lawyers will take from any settlement will have been the first thing discussed. What more do they have fill him on until there is an offer on the table or until it goes to trial? He will have given the lawyers his side of the story and any proof in the way of documents, emails, secretly recorded conversations, smoke signals or whatever and then, according to media reports, the lawyers said "You have got a solid case. We will take it on and take **% of the final settlement. Do we have a deal?" And Bennett said "Deal! I will leave it with you. Please keep me filled in on how things are going."

What else is there to discuss?

Last edited:
“Leave it in the hands of lawyers” still means meetings, updates, contracts, offers to consider, negotiations. The lawyer wont just do the deal he wants or make moves without the clients approval. It will be a distraction and is a negative move for souths. And with him trying to get $400,000 out of a news limited owned company it will also increase the media pressure on him and his team’s results, and whilst he doesnt care about that sort of thing I think our results this year shows that constant media pressure will eventually take a toll on the players.

It actually did take a toll on the players, they admitted to that. There is only so long you can ignore such a thing until it starts to affect you. And my concern is it happening again to our group of players.

This needs to end quickly and peacefully whether that's the Broncos just paying him or Bennett dropping it. But for both parties sakes, it can't turn into another media shit storm.

Now can we all openly hate this lying piece of shit? Complete fucking knob. It's always been about the money and I hope that he has burnt every possible bridge and is never allowed back anywhere near the Broncos.

The most over-reactive post I've ever read

Wayne, by all accounts, is a good human, putting others ahead of himself (not every time but nobody does that) and focussing on helping young men become better people regardless of if they are going to become great footy players

Letting Ash Taylor go to the Titans was the best thing for Ash, not Wayne, not the Broncos

He is also responsible for our only premierships

But now we are supposed to hate the piece of shit?

You need to calm down

Let's draw it all back to a single plot point in the history of all of this.

The 3min meeting between bennett and the board member.

The swap deal was in negotiations, all parties knowing it was the best point of action. Both clubs and both coaches were wanting it to happen.

While the details were still being ironed out, the meeting happened. What happened in this meeting is the key, we don't know the premise but it can be easily determined that this was the point bennett went rogue. Being it was a 3 minute meeting means it very quickly didn't go to plan.

Bennett calls the press conference without the club's knowledge or position. Clear moment of defiance and to make the club look stupid as they'd already scheduled the press conference for the afternoon.

That was the last straw. The club were doing their best not to hurt his legacy despite his efforts to be a toddler.

They were given no choice, it's what he wanted, but now he's trying to bend them over and take every last chance to bring the club down.

Glad he's gone.

Unless you were in the room, you don't know any of this to be factual

Did they actually do anything wrong in all of this?

At the start of all of this, it was reported that the board told Bennett he will no longer be required after 2019 but were happy to let him see out his contract and transition into another role at the club which Bennett rejected and then started playing games in the media with his little 'they are trying to force me out' speech. They started the process of looking for another coach after failing to get Bellamy and were in negotiations with Seibold and then they signed him. By all reports both clubs were trying to negotiate a swap for 2019 but Bennett was making things difficult by refusing to just accept it and end this all peacefully instead forcing them to sack him. Then he was caught out breaching his contract and the Broncos then decided to sack him.

What exactly did White and co do wrong in all of this? By all reports, they were completely transparent with Bennett and the playing group. They just weren't revealing every single detail in the media to all of the fans which they didn't have to.

Apparently what they should have done was just wait until Bennett has had enough of coaching and then pick up whatever scrub coach was available at the time.

You will never be forgotten by the Broncos for what you have done for the club but you tried to pull the wool over our eyes, got burnt and now tarnishing your memory.
Jog on Bennett you old codger.

Last edited:
Even if it is about the money, good on him. If he is owed a dollar, I hope he gets it.

Employees have rights, and if he has legal ground, I hope he does get every dollar owed. That's only fair.

He is not out of pocket. He'll have to prove he is worse off to get 400k and prove he is 400k worse off which I doubt he is.

He also breach his contract, the Broncos backed by News Ltd would not have terminated his contract with is probably a third of his salary if they didn't have him over a barrel.

And if Bennett is so right then why 400k? He was on an estimated 1.2mil or there abouts, what he considers the other 400k greedy because it's not about the money?

Active Now

• Organix
  • Allo
  • Big Del
  • broncs30
  • GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncorob
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • cento
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.